Written by SkulShurtugalTCG :
As this weekend at the box office proved, The Lion King still has the magic, even after seventeen years. The film was re-released in 3D, and topped the domestic box office. Early estimates placed the film as having grossed at least $29,300,000 by the end of its beginning weekend, making The Lion King now the seventeenth highest-grossing film in the US, and the 28th highest-grossing film worldwide of all time.
This weekend marked the first time since the re-release of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi that a re-released film has grossed the most money in any weekend. That was 14 years ago. Many critics attribute this achievement to both the film's popularity, and the fact that it is a traditional-animated film.
What does this mean? It means, simply, that there is hope for animation after all. With so many people willing to spend time and money to see a film they've probably seen hundreds of times, it shows that they are perhaps willing to see a brand-new film of the same quality as well. As of right now, Disney is actually considering going back to traditionally-animated films, at least part-time, due to The Lion King 3D's success.
This is the first time a traditionally animated film has been converted to 3D for any media. The 3DVD and 3D Blu-ray wilil be released mid-October.
If you want to see the film, hurry! It will be pulled out of theaters after September 29.
Register on the site!
The Lion King reads and more
- my TLK art liamwynn - 80 days
- Lion gaurd rp! MargaretMartin90 - 93 days
- Lion Love Catsssss - 132 days
- I finally finished a set of lion king 2 figures I'm happy wi alexcole99 - 240 days
- I miss you batty I hope your doing wellSierra. - 6 h
- It’s sad Saga left poor Scorpio has no owner now Sierra. - 6 h
- Thanks. :)-WildFire- - 20 h
- Nice to see you're still active on here. Nice art, too. :)Jake Razor - 1 day