Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Zootopia 2 possibilities
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:26 am 

Hey gang! It's just been a month since the movie's release and there are already talks on a sequel :D . http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Zootopia-Directors-Already-Thinking-About-Sequel-Possibilities-97547.html
There are many ideas that can factor in to make this sequel. Please, fill me in with all of your ideas!

Post subject: Re: Zootopia 2 possibilities
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:00 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

An interesting article, to be sure. And it follows that the directors and writers would be at least thinking of the broader world, and possible sequel (or even prequel) material. I suppose they (and Disney) were waiting to see what sort of profits they generated from the theatrical release, and then subsequent home video and "officially-licensed" product sales...and the level of sustained interest and fandom the movie created. Clearly, the situation seems ripe for sequel territory. And it is evident that the door has been left wide open with how the movie ended.

I personally envision a few things with a possible sequel (and, for those who may not have seen Zootopia/Zootropolis, I have placed my thoughts in a "spoiler window" (EDITED):

Hidden text : click to show

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:03 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

I'll probably come back and add to this later (I bought the junior novel today, so maybe it includes information that wasn't in the film. I know the junior novel for Minions had an alternate ending).

Anyway, I really don't have any ideas. The most I can muster (I really need to re-watch the film. Not only was I watching the film in the theater, but I was trying find inspiration for the design of the site as well) is I hope they don't mess up Judy and Nick's friendship by putting them in some silly romance.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:38 pm 

I had an idea, although I don't think this will end up being what they go with. But I think it would be interesting if the sequel followed Judy and Nick with their job. And maybe they get assigned to a case of strange activity going on in Zootopia and have to investigate. And what ends up being the problem is groups of predators have been banding together and trying to "reverse" their evolved ways and want things to be back to the way they used to be when predators were on top, etc. I think it would be an intriguing twist to the original movie's main plot points.

Hey, what could this be?[/center]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:48 pm 

I have been thinking about other ideas (because my original post doesn't offer much of any), to share, and here's what I've come up with.

There are many animals in the world of Zootopia, but there are many others we don't see. My idea of a plot would be introducing a owl (which would be from the Nocturnal District) that's scaring many of the residents during the night, and stealing fish from the Fishtown market. I'm not sure where it would go from their, but perhaps Mr. Big and Duke Weaselton (who would be working for Mr. Big) could be involved.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:31 am 
Advanced
Advanced

I think that'd be the great idea, since I haven't seen any birds in this movie. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:10 pm 

On the subject of introducing animals that haven't been shown before, I also thought it might be interesting to include animals that have gone extinct directly due to human involvement. I mean, it would be a powerful message. While cats and dogs aren't included because we are the reason they exist and humans never happened in Zootopia's universe, I think it would be doubly impactful to show such animals as the Tasmanian Tiger and the Dodo, who were brought into extinction directly because of humans.

Hey, what could this be?[/center]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:24 pm 

I think it might be better if they skipped over the presence of sentient fish, birds, reptiles, and insects for a couple of reasons, not the least of which would be that having non-sentient animals leaves an explanation as to how predators can be civilized. For comparison's sake, in the Redwall books and cartoons - similar in many ways to a medieval Zootopia (crossover, anyone?) - predatory animals such as badgers often exist alongside creatures they would normally prey on, such as hedgehogs. The level of co-existence varies (foxes, for example, are evil more often than not), but you do have a similar reduction of the normal predator/prey enmity nonetheless. In any event, in the books, fish are a common staple food both for predators and creatures which would normally be strict herbivores.

As for the prospect of a Zootopia 2, a couple of ideas come to my mind (and let me say I really hope they avoid a Judy/Nick pairing because that's so overdone already).

*Nick or Judy gets mixed up with someone the other doesn't trust, or maybe does trust but shouldn't (not necessarily romantic, although ten to one Disney would go with the romance angle). Old formula, maybe, but it has potential.

*A prequel, detailing how the predator/prey boundaries first broke down (old-times setting, similar to Redwall, would work, though something more recent like the Old West might also have potential).

*Something to do with interactions between land and purely aquatic mammals such as seals and dolphins - notably missing in Zootopia. One could see a conflict arising similar to the Submariner's frequent clashes with the surface world in the Marvel franchise, or perhaps something involving a diplomatic effort hampered by malcontents, not unlike Bellweather. As an added touch, they might even incorporate an area similar to Venice with land and water close by one another.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:43 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Here, from a recent interview transcript posted on Quora, are answers to fan questions about sequel possibilities, and why other non-mammalian species don't appear in the first, and whether or not they will in a potential sequel. These answers should be considered as official as can be had, as they were given by the two primary directors of the movie, who also participated in writing it:

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:05 pm 

I'll have to keep that in mind.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here