Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

What's your Favorite Balto Movie?
Balto 1 70%  70%  [ 102 ]
Balto 2 19%  19%  [ 27 ]
Balto 3 11%  11%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 145
 Post subject: Re: Your Favorite Movie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 am 
Famous one
Famous one

The Batman wrote:
In order of how I like them, Balto 1, Balto 3, Balto 2.

Same for me.

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 am 
Beginner
Beginner

In order of appearance in my life:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:37 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Balto 1 is my favorite.. simply because it's an original and gives a lot more of a "complete" feeling rather than the sequels. It actually had closure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:49 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I think the first was best in almost every aspect - especially the animation quality. I do think the plot could have been more original, but it was still pretty good IMHO. I really like how they (very loosely) based it on the real event back in 1925. I would have never heard of the real Balto/Togo if not for the first movie.

If I had to choose, I'd say I like the second better than the third. Neither was perfect by any means, and I will admit the third had better animation than WQ, but I think WQ had a more original storyline than WoC. Plus, there was no irritating Stella song in WQ (I never really liked her character, and I really didn't like her song). I didn't really mind the musical aspect of WQ. I remember I liked the songs when I first watched it at age 7, and I still don't really mind them now (I'm not tempted to fast-forward through them, like I am with Stella's song in WoC).

I still think WoC was decent, but I think I'll always like WQ better, and of course the first movie most of all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I personally like the first Balto movie best because it was, for me, better-animated and not as boring as the other films. The animation in the other two films was visibly lazier than the first and the style strayed from the original a bit. Secondly, the score was much better in the first and the first Balto movie didn't turn into some musical. In my oppinion, the two sequels were alright.. But could have been much, much better had more effort been put into them. The characters also became a little...OOC and still speaking of characters... Just where were Nikki, Kaltag and Starr in the sequels? I would have loved to have seen them appear again. Steele reappearing would have made a good movie too... It'd be a far better plot than Balto's daughter running away to find out 'who she is' or a sled team racing a bush plane.

Really, there should've been no sequels at all. They made a really good film... Then made really poor sequels.

epic-adventure-threw-the-eyes-of-many-t34316.html
Signature made by me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:15 am 
Young pup

KageFireWolf wrote:
I personally like the first Balto movie best because it was, for me, better-animated and not as boring as the other films. The animation in the other two films was visibly lazier than the first and the style strayed from the original a bit. Secondly, the score was much better in the first and the first Balto movie didn't turn into some musical. In my oppinion, the two sequels were alright.. But could have been much, much better had more effort been put into them. The characters also became a little...OOC and still speaking of characters... Just where were Nikki, Kaltag and Starr in the sequels? I would have loved to have seen them appear again. Steele reappearing would have made a good movie too... It'd be a far better plot than Balto's daughter running away to find out 'who she is' or a sled team racing a bush plane.

Really, there should've been no sequels at all. They made a really good film... Then made really poor sequels.

Agreed. The first Balto movie was the best and its sequels were rather poor, though.. I didn't mind Wolf Quest too much. Although Aleu was somewhat annoying and really mean to her father, I took interest in her character and journey to discover who she was. It really isn't all that bad if you think about how bad it COULD'VE been. Ever seen Transformers? Now THAT movie had poor sequels. The second one was alright, but the third one... Although there was good action and effects, the speech and some of the characters really annoyed me. But now I'm just getting off-topic here...

I really liked the first one, the end.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 am 
Beginner
Beginner

The first one. No doubt about that.

Reasons? Well, most of it is plain simple. To be honest, most of you have already said this, but I'll say it again, the animation in the first film was much better than the sequels. This somewhat has to do with the budget that the sequels had, but it was still rather poor. In Balto: Wolf Quest, Aleu had some rather derpy expressions and poor poses, and children...there were ninja fighting kitty wolves :O

Also, the songs in Wolf Quest were also very cheap and corny. That was part of the reason of why Wolf Quest was a rather disappointing sequel. There were also a lot of unnecessary characters in Wolf Quest and Wings Of Change. Especially the likes of Stella, and that barking terrier in Wolf Quest, Stella really got too much screen time which could have been used to develop more of the personality and bond between the mail team. Also, Jenna looked much older than she did in the first film, maybe to do with ageing a little, but to be honest she wouldn't have changed so much. I much preferred how all the characters looked in the first film.

I agree, to be truthful, the first film in this case was definitely the best. I think the other two were a slight disappointment to the first film, but that's just my opinion.

Pat- No honestly, you don't have to.
Dog- You shall be rewarded with a position in the royal cave, as Sam's servant.
Sam- Father!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Heh, if you guys can't stand the songs in WQ, do not watch any of the Land Before Time DTV sequels. I've seen them all, and in my opinion the Balto songs are quite tame in comparison; I honestly thought they were a little corny and cheap even when I was 5 years old. I guess the 'musical' thing did well with the Land Before Time DTV sequels, so Universal figured it would fair well with the Balto franchise as well (I believe they had already released several TLBT sequels before WQ). Who knows, perhaps Universal actually forced them to include X number of songs in each sequel? I really don't know to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 am 
Young pup

NTWolf wrote:
Heh, if you guys can't stand the songs in WQ, do not watch any of the Land Before Time DTV sequels. I've seen them all, and in my opinion the Balto songs are quite tame in comparison; I honestly thought they were a little corny and cheap even when I was 5 years old. I guess the 'musical' thing did well with the Land Before Time DTV sequels, so Universal figured it would fair well with the Balto franchise as well (I believe they had already released several TLBT sequels before WQ). Who knows, perhaps Universal actually forced them to include X number of songs in each sequel? I really don't know to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That's actually a rather interesting thing to consider.. Heh, I didn't mind the TLBT sequels all that much when I was younger.. But none of them beat the first movie :]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:00 am 
Beginner
Beginner

NTWolf- No problem there. And yes, you're right. I wouldn't be too surprised either. Maybe they thought if they included these "corny" songs, younger kids would like it better as if the film was now some sort of sing-along musical. To be truthful, bringing that into the sequel of a film that touched millions all over the world, Universal could have done better.
But, respectfully, budget was low, and obviously, that was one big major reason on why Balto 2 wasn't as good quality as the first Balto.

Pat- No honestly, you don't have to.
Dog- You shall be rewarded with a position in the royal cave, as Sam's servant.
Sam- Father!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 am 
Animation Source is my home!

I think I'm with most people in preferring the original, although unlike a lot of people the music didn't completely tear down the sequels for me. Truth to tell, there are some sequels I rather enjoy for their music, such as a few (though not all) of the aforementioned Land Before time sequels. Baltos 2 and 3 just didn't particularly make that list.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:45 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

Like everyone else before me has said, I much prefer the first one simply because it's a family film and not one that is more aimed towards younger audiences. The animation was almost flawless, the plot line kept you in suspense, and the personalities of the characters were well made and fit perfectly into the plot line and they all had a purpose, and best of all, no singing! :mrgreen: The only parts of the movie I didn't like was the bear fight scene because I felt the soundtrack to it made it "overly dramatic," and the ending because I felt it was just too abrupt, but I was able to get around those and still enjoy the movie.

Wings of Change would be my second choice pick because there weren't as many flaws to it as there were in Wolf Quest. The songs were better (except Stella's. Ugh), Balto and a few others had more of their original personalities back, the animation was slightly better, and it didn't end as a cliffhanger. Stella was the one thing that ruined it. I mean, did the producers really have to make her THAT sexual!? If she wasn't in the movie or AT LEAST made into a normal character, I would have enjoyed it way more!

And finally comes the worst of the bunch, Wolf Quest. The animation sucked, the characters were like completely different from the who they were in the first movie, Aleu's spoiled brat attitude really didn't roll well with me, the characters from the first movie that were very important to the first movie had now been reduced to supporting characters and we never even hear from them again after Balto leaves, the songs were dumb (except for Maru's chant and Who You Really Are) and the ending was even more abrupt than the one in the first movie!

NTWolf wrote:

Agreed! I'm usually able to bring myself to listen to the songs I don't like in WQ and WoC, but in the LBT sequels, the songs were SOOOO corny and childish, that I skipped through them completely once I started watching them again! I can only remember like 2 or 3 songs from the LBT sequels that I actually liked. I'm not so sure about Universal forcing them to include x amount of songs in each sequel though. That just seems way too harsh. The songs were probably a good way for them to describe the tone/feeling of the situation from the characters' POW in a way that kids would be able to understand and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:55 pm 

WolfTrain3751 wrote:
Agreed! I'm usually able to bring myself to listen to the songs I don't like in WQ and WoC, but in the LBT sequels, the songs were SOOOO corny and childish, that I skipped through them completely once I started watching them again! I can only remember like 2 or 3 songs from the LBT sequels that I actually liked. I'm not so sure about Universal forcing them to include x amount of songs in each sequel though. That just seems way too harsh. The songs were probably a good way for them to describe the tone/feeling of the situation from the characters' POW in a way that kids would be able to understand and enjoy.

I remember enjoying "Always There" from Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island when I was in grade school, but it's been so long since I've heard pretty much any of the songs that I'd have to hear them again to know if I still like them. From what I do remember, I'm leaning toward no on "One of Us Now."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

Dragon Tamer wrote:
I remember enjoying "Always There" from Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island when I was in grade school, but it's been so long since I've heard pretty much any of the songs that I'd have to hear them again to know if I still like them. From what I do remember, I'm leaning toward no on "One of Us Now."

The ones that I particularly liked were Peaceful Valley from LBT II: The Great Valley Adventure and Me and My Dad from LBT X: The Great Longneck Migration. Looking through the song lists for each movie on Wikipedia, I can count at least 4 songs that I think I liked, but it's been a year since I've seen any of the LBT movies so I don't completely remember if I liked them or not. I'd need to watch them again to really decide on whether I liked them or not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:27 pm 

WolfTrain3751 wrote:
Dragon Tamer wrote:

The ones that I particularly liked were Peaceful Valley from LBT II: The Great Valley Adventure and Me and My Dad from LBT X: The Great Longneck Migration. Looking through the song lists for each movie on Wikipedia, I can count at least 4 songs that I think I liked, but it's been a year since I've seen any of the LBT movies so I don't completely remember if I liked them or not. I'd need to watch them again to really decide on whether I liked them or not.

Yeah, Peaceful Valley I think I would still like, and Me and My Dad too, if only because it portrays the kind of closeness I feel like I missed out on with my dad. I really should look through the songs sometime.

One song I just remembered, and I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, is "If We Hold On Together" from the credits of the first movie. That's one song I doubt I'll ever stop liking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next