Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Why so many bad reviews?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:53 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I was looking up reviews for Brother Bear last night and was amazed at how many of them were negative. I thought this movie was well received by almost everyone but apparently its considered by critics to be around the middle to bottom of Disneys animated features.

One complaint was that this movie was trying to be the next Lion King. I honestly dont see where this assumption came from. I dont really see anything in Brother Bear that is simular to The Lion King except Koda and Simba's characters. Both being young cubs who lost a parent.

Another complaint was the music. Sure it wasnt the best ever but I thought they were good enough. I still find myself singing "Im on my way" in my head to this day.

And the main complaint was the religious message in the film. Wow these parents take animated films way to seriously. I found a page where there was nothing but hundreds of posts from angry parents who was so worried their kids would believe in the Great Spirts of the Native Americans and ignore their christian teachings, believe man and beast are created equal, and believe being a bear is better than being human LOL.

Kids are the quintessential bandwagon riders. They love what ever current movie is out. If your kid loved Brother Bear when it was first released Im sure as soon as the next animated film that came out they forgot all about BB and was all about the new one. Its just entertainment people. When I was a kid I grew up on the bloody and violent war films like Rambo and Predator. I never once thought about killing anyone. Give your kids more credit than that.

But anyway I feel Brother Bear is the best Disney film of its decade. It could have been better yes but it is what it is. A very warm, funny and cute film about nature and friendship. If you havent seen it in awhile but have seen almost every dull, cardboard, pop culture referencing CGI bore fests from every studio in the past 6 years then give Brother Bear another try. It will be a very refreshing change and you might enjoy it a whole lot more this time around.

Post subject: Re: Why so many bad reviews?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:47 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

Wow, you're totally right. Brother Bear is NOTHING like Lion King. The only similarities I can think of is a character falling off a cliff and dying, which affects the rest of the main characters. (Mufasa and Sitka) Plus your reason of Koda and Simba both losing parents.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Oh and the huge CGI stampede in both films lol. Oh and Rutt and Touke as the comedy relief like Timon and Pumba. Wow maybe I was wrong. I dont know but The Lion King was soooo ambitous and you can tell they didnt even try to be as epic as The Lion King was.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:05 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I love them both SO much and there are SO MANY simalarities.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:30 am 
Beginner
Beginner

some people have nothing to do but nitt pick a good fim! they should get a life and not read so much into a movie. just look at the reviews for spirit stallion of the cimarron, i mean come on!

http://www.petitiononline.com/spirit2/petition.html

http://www.petitiononline.com/spirit2/petition.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:13 am 
Beginner
Beginner

At least Ebert and Roper know how to enjoy a good movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7JNGa6F9Y

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:59 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I love lion king and brother bear, and I'm not gonna lie, brother bear was BEAUTIFULLY made in my opinion. The plot, characters, there wasn't just one evil villain and not everyone else is perfect (Even the star, Kenai, did something wrong) the animation, and effects. The way some scenes were portrayed was awesome, like after Sitka died, the action, etc. The character relationships were awesome too. How can someone strike down such a good movie?
Some people are just too protective over what their children believe. It's not like they're dumb enough to ditch their religion and go to some northern country to find the northern lights and ask them to turn them into a bear, I mean GEEZ. Heck if anyone did start believing in the great spirits, then what's the problem? As long as the rules are "be good and don't hurt other people" then everything's fine XD
And also, if disney was trying to make a film as good as lion king, then isn't that a good thing? And if the film was rubbish, then isn't it more likely that disney just didn't put any effort into it? The only proof you have of disney trying to make a lion king worthy film is that the film actually turned out to be as good as it, but that piece of evidence obviously wouldn't help these "critiques". It's nice to have another really good film, why be so sour to it? There can be two bombs in a box. I don't see much resemblance between the two films :/
And why are adults even reviewing this movie? The film is aimed at CHILDREN. (Well, it can be for adults too, as it's not all snappy happy, but it's not all bent on this. It's an animated film) As long as the children ENJOY it, then everything's ok. We never needed the opinion of people who don't know how to enjoy a good movie.
Lion King and Brother Bear, I'll always love them :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:50 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Very well put tlkcrazer. The Lion King is a great movie although I find it to be a tad overrated. But with Brother Bear I find it to be severly underrated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:09 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Yeah, sometimes people just can't love two movies at the same time :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:22 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I do feel though that Brother Bear has a pretty strong following. And I think its following will grow with time as more and more cliched animated movies come out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:06 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I guess so. Time will tell :) I just find it annoying that barely anyone I know has heard of it XD. Same with many other movies, or like Lion King, according to my classmates, every lion I draw is Simba, even if it's brown :? Brother bear's one of the best 2D animated films since the huge CGI stampede.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I usually check this Web site before my husband and I take our family to a movie, but unfortunately, with “Brother Bear”, I just assumed that it would be okay. I based that assumption on the fact that Finding Nemo was an excellent Disney film, and that they couldn’t go to far off base with this one. Boy, was I wrong! “Brother Bear” is filled with paganism, witchcraft, totem and idol worship. The power (one more time I might add) lies with a woman. She was shown to be the wise, all-knowing one, who knew what each member of the tribe needed to exemplify in order to attain oneness with nature. All of the totems were based on animals. Animals were shown to be more important than humans (especially at the end). I was disappointed, my husband was ready to leave and my kids knew it was a story all based on a lie wrapped in a pretty package. Please think twice before taking your kids to this one. I wish I would have been more discerning about seeing this, and will be wiser next time before attending a “Disney” film.

Oh. My. God. Its a freaking Disney movie! I found this review on a some random site and this is exactly the thing I was reffering to. This was around the movies release. I wonder if her child is ok to this day or is he still scarred for life. Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:13 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

That review...I don't have any words D:
What's wrong with showing animals as more important than humans? And I think it showed more that both are equal, and come on, it's not like every other disney movie has absolutely no voodoo "magic" in it at all. I don't get this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:35 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I dont get it either. Theres magic (witch craft), mysticism, communicating with the dead, and all sorts of beliefs that arent christian throughtout all the Disney mvoies. Why is Brother Bear getting all the hate and not the others?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm 

It was the last hand drawn animation film so Disney wanted it to fail.