Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Which characters are your favorite?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:30 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

I like several of the NIMH characters, but my top two (you can mention as many as you would like) favorites are Jeremy and Auntie Shrew. I can relate to both of them personality-wise lol. Other characters I like are: Timmy, Mrs. Brisby, Justin and Nicodemus.

Post subject: Re: Which characters are your favorite?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 am 

What is this heresy... How could anyone pick a favorite from the amazing cast of NIMH?!
I'm kidding of course! :lol:
Of the cast of characters (from the movie) I'd say my Top five would be Mrs Brisby, Justin, Teresa, Jenner, and Jeremy the crow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

I think, for me, it would be a few characters...and each for very different reasons:

Auntie Shrew: I love how crotchety and persnickety she is. It makes her, oddly, very endearing, and she reminds me just a bit of my paternal grandmother (may she rest in peace and forgive me for saying so!)...which may be another reason why I love the character. lol

Hermione Baddeley was a great actress anyway. And I loved her the most in the 1951 movie version of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, the excellent movie Scrooge, where she plays Mrs. Cratchit. I don't have a video clip (I hate these freaking Google copyright enforcements!), but here is a screen cap from the movie (not taken by me):

Jeremy: I think I like Jeremy for two reasons. First, because I can relate to the hopeless romantic aspects of the character. But also because of the excellent creative input by his voice actor, Dom Deluise. In the making of documentary, in the DVD/Blu-Ray extras of The Secret of NIMH, Don Bluth confirms how much creative input Dom Deluise had with developing the character. And it really shows! Most of you probably aren't familiar with Deluise's classic roles from the 70s and 80s, but those two decades were his heyday in live action comedies. Especially teamed with actor Burt Reynolds. The two of them were practically inseparable as a modern-day Abbott & Costello/Laurel & Hardy type of duo. And there were many great movies (and, of course, the All Dogs Go To Heaven animated movies) which clearly show that great acting chemistry. Plus, who doesn't love that Italian-American Brooklyn accent? :lol:

I think I remember Deluise's comedic style best from his role as Victor Prinzim, a mechanic sidekick to Burt Reynold's character, a legendary racer named J.J. McClure, in the 1981 ensemble comedy movie The Cannonball Run (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082136/). Even in the bloopers, which are featured on the DVD/Blu-Ray of the movie, you can see not only the friendship and acting chemistry between Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise, but the sense of comedy...especially in that most of the bloopers in the video below are Reynolds' and Deluise's:

Here are some clips of Deluise playing the character. Victor Prinzim is a character with duality. He's a shy, unassuming fellow, who explains to another character, played by the late, great Farrah Fawcett, why he becomes "Captain Chaos" (in the video, from 2:41 to 3:20):

Justin: Justin is for The Secret of NIMH, in many ways, what Balto is for his movie...a stalwart, good-hearted and noble hero--the light to Jenner's darkness. And it was fitting that they chose an actor with such a great voice to portray him! Peter Strauss really did well with him (even William H. Macy did a pretty decent job with the character in the much-maligned sequel). It's ironic that, to me, the only other part I really remember Strauss for is a MUCH different character...that of the Jewish zealot Eleazar ben Yazir (a real person from Jewish history). That character, while viewed by many as a hero, also led his small band to commit mass suicide after trying to stand against the relentless Roman war machine in 70 A.D. (and losing). In the 1981 TV mini-series Masada (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081900/), Strauss plays him with cool and calculating detachment. But that voice is still there...and this was only a year before The Secret of NIMH was made. Here, in a clip from the mini-series, his character (seen first) goes head-to-head with Peter O'Toole's character, the Roman general Cornelius Flavius Silva:

Timothy Brisby: As I have said before, in other topics on here, hardcore fans of The Secret of NIMH will hate me for saying so (and a few have argued the point with me here and elsewhere), but I think the way the character was developed, and portrayed by his three voice actors, in The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue, was a bright point in an otherwise dull and extremely-disappointing movie. I really do! Andrew Ducote, who portrayed him at "ten years old", put a great deal of acting into the role, and it shows. And when he participates in the song "I Will Show The World" (which may be one of the very, VERY few musical numbers in an animated movie which I DON'T hate with an unbridled passion!), he thankfully doesn't sound like some Broadway professional! And then Alex Strange, who briefly portrays the character at "thirteen years old" (only during the course of the same song), while he does sound like a Broadway professional (well, Strange had actually been in theatrical productions in NYC as a boy), he still doesn't annoy me with the way he sings; and then there's the great actor Ralph Macchio. This guy is best known, of course, for his defining role as Daniel in the ORIGINAL Karate Kid movies. What's particularly interesting about Macchio is that, like Sean Astin (who portrayed Balto's young son Kodi in 2004's Balto 3: Wings of Change, when HE was 33 years old!), he's known for his youthful appearance and voice. Macchio portrayed young teenager Daniel when he was 23 years old. He would be 37 years old by the time he portrays a "seventeen year old" Timothy Brisby! And it works! Note how both Macchio and Astin have portrayed what essentially are animal versions of teenagers while both actors were in their mid to late thirties? lol

But I really like the character arc of Timothy Brisby as it is presented in the animated sequel to The Secret of NIMH, and I think each of the voice actors did great with him!

I remember Ralph Macchio best not only for his Karate Kid roles, but also as the character Johnny Cade in the 1983 movie The Outsiders. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086066/). Why did Ralph Macchio, for years, get these roles which were younger than he really was? Perhaps this early screen test, from when he was only 18, explains it...listen to the conversation:

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:39 am 

I absolutely love the Cannonball Run Bloopers. :lol: The way Deluise laughs just makes you want to laugh too! XD Of course he's just a downright funny guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:42 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Mightybalto1925 wrote:
I absolutely love the Cannonball Run Bloopers. :lol: The way Deluise laughs just makes you want to laugh too! XD Of course he's just a downright funny guy.

His laughter definitely is infectious! I think that, once he started to get older (like, when he started doing his "Godfather" bit, and voice overs in the sequels to various animated movies), he lost a bit of his youthful exuberance. And, of course, he seemed to have an ability to feed off of and react to other actors when he worked with them. In his heyday (like in the two Cannonball Run movies), he was unstoppable!

(By the way...Burt Reynolds is really face-slapping him. lol Just like Dean Martin is really face-slapping Sammy Davis Jr.! It's a testament to the friendships between these particular actors that they could do that without ending up in an angry brawl.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 am 

JerseyCaptain wrote:
Mightybalto1925 wrote:

His laughter definitely is infectious! I think that, once he started to get older (like, when he started doing his "Godfather" bit, and voice overs in the sequels to various animated movies), he lost a bit of his youthful exuberance. And, of course, he seemed to have an ability to feed off of and react to other actors when he worked with them. In his heyday (like in the two Cannonball Run movies), he was unstoppable!

(By the way...Burt Reynolds is really face-slapping him. lol Just like Dean Martin is really face-slapping Sammy Davis Jr.! It's a testament to the friendships between these particular actors that they could do that without ending up in an angry brawl.)

That's a shame D= But hey, we can still enjoy his roll in The Secret Of NIMH and All dogs go to Heaven. And any other film he was in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:20 pm 

I enjoyed Justin the best. He was just an interesting character, and I liked his voice. He was such a gentleman to Mrs.Brisby too <3

My other favorite is Mr.Ages. Gotta love the grumpy old ma/reclusive herbalist/inventor type. :lol:

Gone forever! Thanks for the memories! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:18 am 

Yeah, there's quite not enough Justin in the film. I mean, he's a great character but doesn't appear until half of the film, if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:31 am 

Angel Dreamer wrote:
I enjoyed Justin the best. He was just an interesting character, and I liked his voice. He was such a gentleman to Mrs.Brisby too <3

My other favorite is Mr.Ages. Gotta love the grumpy old ma/reclusive herbalist/inventor type. :lol:

Mr. Age's grumpy nature makes him a likable character. lol He's not a personal favorite of mine, but I do enjoy his cranky temper. I especially like the little sign above his lab that says" not welcome, go away." XD

steet wrote:
Yeah, there's quite not enough Justin in the film. I mean, he's a great character but doesn't appear until half of the film, if I remember correctly.

I personally think Justin had a fair amount of screen time in the movie, even if he did come in part way through. But I do agree, Justin is a fun, brave and heroic character!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:09 am 
Famous one
Famous one

steet wrote:

I absolutely agree. However, it may be said that it's not so much the quantity but the quality. lol And whatever screen time that Justin has, he puts forth a good presence!

As you'll see, if you ever get to read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (as you and I talked about elsewhere), Justin is represented more in the book. And is even more heroic and influential than in the movie, as befitting his character.

That, and I think the casting directors of both animated NIMH movies chose well when they selected, first, Peter Strauss, and then William H. Macy, to portray this character. Both actors have great voices, and did very good jobs with their respective portrayals!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:10 am 

I know nothing of the Cannonball Run. What's that about?

I'd have to say that personality-wise I found Jeremy the most likeable - or at least the easiest to relate to. He's a goof, a determined romantic, good-hearted despite his social awkwardness, and has a definite zeal for life. Although I like to think I'm a little more self-controlled than he is, watching him is almost like watching a mirror sometimes; kind of like watching a younger kid and going, "Boy, does that bring back memories."

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:16 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Dragon Tamer wrote:
I know nothing of the Cannonball Run. What's that about?

It's one of the early 80s' great ensemble-cast comedies (which style was so very popular in the 60s, 70s and 80s...thinking of such great examples as Scavenger Hunt, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World, Yellowbeard, Airplane!, Airplane II: The Sequel, Blazing Saddles, History Of The World: Part I, Meatballs, Stripes, Wholly Moses, Animal House, Space Balls, Caveman, The Breakfast Club, Revenge of the Nerds, One Crazy Summer, etc. - all of these can be found on imdb.com).

The basic story is about an illicit coast-to-coast race, from Connecticut to southern California, fraught with misadventures, run-ins with law enforcement and general mad-cap hijinks. Lol It's based upon a real event in history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Baker_Sea-To-Shining-Sea_Memorial_Trophy_Dash, and spawned one sequel in 1984 (which didn't do quite so well).

Here is one trailer to check out (there are other versions, including a fan-made one with more modern music, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nXWNTY2t-w):

The ensemble cast was large, and included many greats of the era (the 70s and early 80s). That included these--and I have put, in parentheses, at least one other role which they each were famous for:

Burt Reynolds ("Bandit" from the Smokey & The Bandit movies)

Dom DeLuise (many character-actor type roles and voice acting, including some of the animated movies we love here on AS)

Roger Moore ("James Bond" in the James Bond: 007 movies of the 80s)

Farrah Fawcett ("Jill Monroe" in the original Charlie's Angels tv series)

Dean Martin (countless roles, including teaming up with comedian Jerry Lewis in various movies, and a key member of the famous Hollywood "Rat Pack": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Pack; most remembered today for his "Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts", currently being promoted on TV and the internet, which are very funny, but generally much cleaner and less-nasty than the current Comedy Central Celebrity Roasts)

Sammy Davis Jr. (another classic member of the "Rat Pack" - as noted above - who has played countless roles and was also known for his Las Vegas singing/comedy act)

Jack Elam (another character actor, known for his buggy eyes and deep voice, starred in several comedies)

Adrienne Barbeau ("Maggie" in the dystopian movie Escape From New York)

Terry Bradshaw (former NFL superstar, quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers, turned actor)

Jackie Chan (Chinese martial arts superstar and actor, known for many roles)

Bert Convy (actor known more for his various stints as a game show host)

Jamie Farr ("Max Klinger" on the M*A*S*H television series of the 1970s)

Peter Fonda (several roles of minor note)

George Furth (character actor in many comedies of the 60s, 70s and 80s)

Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder (mostly as a sideline reporter for the NFL championship games)

Mel Tillis (country singer/songwriter, and occasional actor...known for his stutter, which disappeared whenever he sang)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:58 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Favorite characters... in one of my favorite movies? That's a toughie... wait, no it isn't.

I have at least 3, though I have an honorable mention or two... yes, for both movies. Let's start with the classic:

#1: Mrs. Brisby
If anything, she is one of my favorite movie mothers PERIOD. [ironically, it's Mother's Day here in the US right now, so... appropriate] Just following her journey to save her family [mostly Timmy, but as a whole, it's her family] makes you just want nothing more than to see her succeed, and yet, she still acts naturally like a mouse would. I also think Elizabeth Hartman did a fine job of giving Mrs. Brisby a mild-mannered voice that suited her demeanor. Still, one of my all-time favorite characters. I only wished that the sequel had done her justice too... but we'll get to that.

#2: Jeremy
Dom Deluise is amazingly comedic in this role, and he fits the part to a T. He's klutzy and chatty, but has a good heart and the dream of finding that Mrs. Right to settle down with. Sure, he can get annoying at times, but man, was he a memorable character! The scenes with other characters [mainly the first one with Mrs. Brisby in its entirety and the scenes with Auntie Shrew and the kids] just took the cake. I love how well Jeremy played against them for each scene, especially with the kids and any scene with Mrs. Brisby. I think Jeremy is one of the reasons why Don Bluth continued to use Dom in his movies, and I'm glad he did [yes, even for one of his worst animated films].

#3: Justin
Why, oh why weren't you in this movie long enough? Seriously, I really think Justin is one of the more likeable characters in this movie, and the fight scene at the end was truly epic because he was in it. If anything, he shows himself as knowledgeable, strong, a tad playful [basically the start of his first scene], and even chivalrous. No wonder fans tend to wish Mrs. Brisby secretly got hooked up with him... and I don't blame them for the fics and fanart one bit. He's a rat that is a kind-hearted guy that wants to do whatever is right, even to the point of making sure the rest of their colony wean themselves off of the farmer's electricity by helping the Thorn Valley plan come to fruition.

Honorable Mentions:

Martin Brisby:
He's the oldest Brisby child and probably the brattiest, but I like him, if only because he gets some character development. Now that the Brisbys are without their head of the brick-hold, one could say that Teresa and Martin share the job of being in charge, but it's Martin that has to honestly be the "dad" of the family. Though he is a sharp-tongued child that dares to talk back to Auntie Shrew, Martin does feel some sort of remorse for his actions once his mother gives him that motherly glare. At least he's not annoying like most animated kids tend to be... and as for the sequel, again, we're getting to that.

Mr. Ages:
Is it weird that I wish he and Auntie Shrew got together? ...Ugh, on second thought, that would be awful. Anywho, I honestly think he's a great, crotchety elder character. When we first see him, he's the mysterious mouse that can make medicine and prefers to keep to himself, and yet once we learn about his connection to the Rats and the Rosebush, things start to change a little. I honestly am surprised that the Rats didn't make too much fun over his much-smaller size, though you have to give him props for risking his life to drug a cat that had just recently killed one of your fellow mice.

Sequel Faves [because, yes... I actually like some things about this movie, as laughably bad as it is]

#1: Timothy "Timmy" Brisby
I LOATHE the "chosen one" plot in movies [if you read my initial response to the sequel, you know why], but I can't find it in my heart to dislike Timmy. He's the runt of the litter, not the strongest or smartest mouse, but at least his heart's in the right place. Unfortunately due to plot, he's literally forced to continuing his father's legacy of protecting Thorn Valley and the Rats of NIMH from another NIMH attack... though no one knows what exactly it is. I really like his conflict as a child and as he grows - of how someone like him could take on the role of being his dad's successor [especially after never having much time with his father though all in Thorn Valley seriously look up to him like a hero] and eventually how he'll become great in his own way - and the relationship of the two brothers, Timmy and Martin. Though I have an issue with him taking so long to do something about his brother, I still like his character... even moreso with Ralph Macchio as the older [and main] voice. Had the plot been better, I may have liked him so much more.

#2: Jenny McBride
I like her... though she's nothing more than a love interest and a way to get the eventual plot going. Still, if anyone deserved a statue in Thorn Valley [other than Mrs. Brisby from last movie], I still feel that it's Jenny. She's the offspring of NIMH mice that were "lost" when the Rats and Jonathan/Mr. Ages escaped, and once she was old enough, she braved the wilds and survived for who knows how long just to find the colony - now in Thorn Valley - to tell of the upcoming threat of NIMH as well as to reveal that her parents [and the other lost mice] were still alive. It's rare that a sequel [even a bad one] has a decent love interest [especially a female] that is actually essential and useful as more than just a love interest. And also, Hynden Walsh - I didn't want to forget to mention that.

#3: Martin Brisby
Have I not said how much I actually like Martin's character in this movie... and how he could have been a really interesting mouse he would have been with a better-focused plot? Seriously, why didn't this movie just be a plot about the two brothers and then added the "chosen one" thing? The beginning of the film really shows his feelings of encouragement towards Timmy for being chosen and for being his best, and then we see how he really feels - betrayed and left out because of a stupid prophecy that only lets one son of Jonathan's become great. You really feel for him and the whole unfairness of the situation, and I admit that I wanted him to get some sort of happy ending by the end. Of course, I didn't expect the plot twist of him becoming the villain, but I didn't mind it one bit. Also, bonus points for Eric Idle as Evil!Martin and the original Fievel [Phillip Glasser] as older Martin.

Honorable Mention [there are none... I can't think of any.]

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:44 pm 

JC --> Ah, I see.

Juucan --> Yeah, I agree on those. Your remark about Mother's Day reminds me that I've been thinking about doing a Top X (number to be decided) list of animated mothers. Mrs. Brisby would definitely be on it somewhere.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:59 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Dragon Tamer wrote:
JC --> Ah, I see.

What a fitting response. lol