Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What was your reaction to seeing Simba's Pride
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:18 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

There is a similar thing like this on the board for Wolf Quest, so I thought I'd do something similar for The Lion King II: Simba's Pride. What was your reaction when it first came out? Post your two cents here.

Here's mine:

It came out when I was about 6, and I can remember being a huge lover of The Lion King. (well, I still am!) I was very excited that there was going to be a sequel to my favourite Disney film. I begged and begged my parents to get it and when I finally got my hands on a copy of the tape, I shoved it in the VCR and watched.
I can remember being wonderfully surprised. I really loved it (perhaps even more than the original Lion King). I really felt for Kiara abd Kovu, and I marvelled at everything. I didn't care if the animation was not that great, I didn't care for that sort of thing. I loved it so much to the point of watching it almost everyday. I now have it on DVD (animation vastly improved), I'm thirteen now, and guess what? I still love it!

Post subject: Different
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:32 pm 
Living here
Living here

I was surprised that there was a girl instead of a guy because at the end of the first movie it was a baby boy cub, But I'm happy that they made it a girl because simba showed us how a guy felt but know I know how a girl future queen felt like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 pm 
Living here
Living here

i loved that moive better than the first one! i just love Kiara! Love.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:08 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

I Like the movie very much! I love Kiara too! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:46 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

When I first saw "The Lion King II: Simba's Pride" I was very pleased at how it all came out. It was such a great follow up to the original movie.

The story line I thought was great. A young female cub just wanting to find her own place in the world, eventually become more than friends with someone banished from the pride lands by her own father. When I first saw it, that.. thrill I guess one could say, was just so fun! lol

I loved how we got to see Kovu evolve from this young cub who did not know any better, to this trained murder, to this well rounded young adult. It was just so nice. That, in it's own way, sent a nice message to children, too.

I also liked the face that Simba actually got hurt and almost died or what not in this movie. Because I know when I was a child and saw the first Lion King movie I pretty much had the mind set that main characters couldn't die. So I thought that was pretty good.

The music in it was also very fitting. I remeber the one song that I particularly liked was "He is not one of us". I can't remember why, but I do know it was stuck in my head for a few weeks after I first saw the movie. It was just such a powerful song. And the animation that went with it all the way until the last chord faded.

All in all, I really liked this movie. Still to this day at 16 I do. It will probably always remain one of my favorite Disney sequils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:20 pm 
Young pup

Heh, it came out when i was around 7 iirc. I loved it, but not as much as the original though ;p Still, i practically watch a few scenes everyday. *uh look in my fanvids on the Lion king source ^^;;* but that's about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:23 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Hmm, TLK2 has been out for . . . almost ten years, and I still love it.

I think when I first saw promos and previews for it, I had a feeling I would like it. Boy, was I right! (I still have my original VHS copy . . . right near my original Balto VHS - :lol: )

I, like many of you, also thought that the cub at the end of the original TLK was male, but thanks to the magic of Disney, that cub went through an unknown gender-bending process. (XD . . . that was funny.) However, Kiara's character was obviously made to mirror Simba's own curiosity as a cub, thus causing Simba, now King of the Pridelands, to want to always protect his only child from the possible consequences of getting into trouble (not just because she is the heir to the throne of Pride Rock, but also because she is a female . . . possible? We say, yes.) and make sure she understands how important she is to the great Circle of Life . . .

Kovu's character really intrigued me as the "child-like Scar . . . only cuter" - he, too, is curious about things, but the leader of his pride (and very proud mama), Zira, has other plans for him later on. Zira, as a character, was well played and you could really feel the absolute hatred she has for Simba and the Prideland Pride . . .

The complete "Romeo X Juliet - Disney style" vibes really got me loving the film, even today! Kiara, the daughter of a powerful pride and future ruler of Pride Rock, falling for the guy from the wrong side of the tracks, Kovu, overcoming all odds to fall in love and unite their prides as one mighty community . . . Doesn't that just make you want to watch it again? (I do. :lol: ) However, the story sticks with the original Shakespearean play, with the death and the star-crossed lovers thing, but this is altered a lot. I still like it anyway. XP

The songs were cute and worked well when I first watched it, especially "We Are One," "One of Us", and "He Lives in You" . . . those three songs really added to the drama and moral of the film.
- "He Lives in You", the opening song, introduces the baby princess at her signature presentation to the animals of the Pridelands and shows the pride that not only Simba and Nala feel for their new arrival, but also the King's late patriarch, Mufasa. Clearly, he has some purpose for the future queen later on . . . but I never understood why he was still so major to the lifestyles and rules of being a royal on Pride Rock . . . Odd, ne?
- "We Are One", a ballad mainly sung by Simba, was clearly one of my favorite songs in the film. Simba tries to make his daughter understand her importance, not only as a Princess, but also as a lioness that is meant for great things. Of course, Kiara remains clueless as a child, but later on, her father's words give her the strength to cease the final battle betweens the Pridelanders and the Outlanders.
- "One of Us" was a song that made me want to cry almost every time I watch the film. Kovu returns to Pride Rock, attempting to prove his innocence in plotting an attack on the Lion King, but Simba, with his pride and trust wounded by the young male, quickly exiles him, much to the dismay of Kiara. While angry animals attack and bully the helpless lion, Kiara attempts to meet her beloved, but all are blocked by her father's fellow lionesses. The lyrics and reactions of all characters within those three or four minutes of scene are so deeply powerful and lead to Kiara's decision to secretly rejoin her lover and the film's climatic battle.
- "Love Will Find a Way" was a decent love song, perfect for the two young lovers - first searching for one another after being tragically separated, then finally finding each other once more, hoping never to part again. "Upendi", although it was quite catchy in the rhythm department, was just weak. Sure it was the song that made Kovu realize his love for Kiara (and also made Simba realize that Kovu may have been truthful about wanting to be a part of Simba's Pride after rescuing his daughter), but it was still pointlessly weak.

In the end, I will agree with Gold Kitty and say that this is one of the best Disney sequels to date. (IMO, I think "Return to Neverland" and "Cinderella 3" may come close, but TLK2 is my favorite.)

- Juuchan17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:00 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I loved the Lion King as a kid, so I was really looking forward to this when I saw a trailer on a video..I don't remember which.

The first time I saw the movie was..at school, actually. I was 6 or 7 and the whole school (4-11 year olds) went to the main hall... and... we just randomly watched the movie. ;D

Post subject: Re: What was your reaction to seeing Simba's Pride
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:31 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

i loved it, i always was a Simba's Fan, i see it in school in the 2nd Grade, something like 2000, i liked it so much, now make mora than a year that i watched it last time... and maybe in this vacation, i'll see all the three again...

Post subject: Re: What was your reaction to seeing Simba's Pride
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:42 am 

I thought it was awesome!!!