Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: What Are You Writing Now?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

*Topic title clearly taken from Gorham's topic

It's been quite a bit of time since I've really been an active member of AS, and the entire fault falls on my growing obsession with converting a hobby of story-telling into a career of publishing novels. Oh, and college, of course, because eduction is important...

Anyways, I wanted to make a topic where all the writer's of AS can gather and discuss techniques, share tips, and maybe even help to edit some work! If you write anything at all, please, join the conversation! Whether it's chaptered novels, short stories, poetry, song lyrics, screen-plays, or even fanfiction, you are welcomed here! (Even though this is in the Books section, but I really didn't know where else to go since there isn't really a Writing section...) Introduce yourself, ask questions of others, and perhaps find some potential fans of future works!

Just to help get the conversation flowing, here's a little 'writer's bio' that you can fill out if you want to in order to introduce yourself, but feel free to answer only the questions you are comfortable with answering or create your own introduction!

Code: Select all
[b]How long have you been writing?[/b]

[b]What is the first thing you ever remember writing?[/b]

[b]What do you enjoy writing most?[/b]

[b]What genres do you normally write?[/b]

[b]How would your describe your writing style?[/b]

[b]What is your writing process like?[/b]

[b]How do your manage your time writing and real life?[/b]

[b]What do you find most difficult about writing?[/b]

[b]What do you think is your greatest strength?[/b]

[b]Have you ever entered and/or won a writing contest?[/b]

[b]Who or what are your greatest inspirations?[/b]

[b]What is the best advice you have ever been given?[/b]

[b]What is the best compliment/critique/encouragement you have every received?[/b]

[b]And, of course, what are you writing now?[/b]

Here are my answers to help kick things off!

How long have you been writing?

For as long as I can remember, honestly. Probably since I learned HOW to write, but I have definite memories of writing short stories at the age of eight, though it might be as early as six or seven. I'll just say eight, do my math right, and report that I have been writing for over eleven years. Whoa.

What is the first work you ever remember writing?

This is going to be embarrassing... When I was eight, I attempted to write a book, with chapters and all, because I don't waste any time on starting small apparently. The titles of the story was "Crystal and Duchess" and centered around a white cat named Crystal and a collie dog named Duchess. Considering my awful characters, the plot wasn't too bad. Basically, their owners were best friends, and even though Crystal and Duchess hated each other at first, they soon became very good friends too. But then Duchess's owner moved away, taking Duchess with her, and cue the sad music. Skip though the awful fluff where they all go on with their lives and enter when Crystal and her owner move to the same town as Duchess and her girl. Both have mates (because I'm a romantic from birth), but Duchess was spayed and can't have pups even though she really wants them. The end of the book is when new mother Crystal carries one of her kittens over to Duchess in what I believed to be a really heart-wrenching scene.

What do you enjoy writing most?

Considering the first thing I wrote was a ten chapter story, I would say that I definitely have always and will always love writing long, chaptered novels. I've tried short stories, but they just don't work for me. Not enough character and plot development, I guess, though I love reading short stories. I just always get too into it and end up writing more and more and more until it's a hundred pages long and I realize this short story is rather long. In fact, in my junior year of high school, I had to write a two page, double-spaced, short story centered around bullying. It ended up to be five pages long and my teacher made me cut it down. I made it two pages after nearly five hours, but after peer-revisions and editing in the changes, it was three full pages. I gave up and turned it in anyways.

What genres do you normally write?

I don't like labels...so I've created a lot of my own! My first love is werewolves, so I've given them a category all their own, though I do have a few ideas that throw in some vampires, witches, faeries, elves, mermaids... Basically anything I can think of to make the story more interesting. I've got one futuristic idea because it has turned into my favorite genre to read, and I also have a few contemporary romances in the making. The genre that I've 'created' is called Comedic Tragedies which consists of a rather cliche plot or idea that has comedic potential then I throw in an extremely distressing, life-changing tragedy that suddenly makes the story serious. I've also got some ideas of fairytale-centric stories (blame my obsession with Once Upon A TIme and The Brother's Grimm) along with a fantasy and a historical fiction. Whew! That was a lot!

How would your describe your writing style?

I have a very simplistic writing style since I'm not a big fan of using huge words that, while pretty to look at, most people don't have any idea of what the definition is. Therefore, I try to use common words as poetically as possible. I also try to keep my characters as realistic as possible, so there aren't any sonnets being recited, but they each have their own way of talking. I've also been told that I have a rather descriptive writing style, so I hope that's true! (P.S. lately I've also noticed that at least one of my characters has to be a smart-aleck pain in the butt in order for me to get my fix of snark.)

What is your writing process like?

Normally my plots come from a single scene or character that develops an entire story around itself, so a lot of my early steps in writing involve staying up until three in the morning, listening to movie soundtracks, and trying to figure out exactly how the story is going to play out. After I have a general beginning, middle, and end, I dive right into characters since this is where I find most of my inspiration. This co-development of characters and plot-line usually consists of one character who decides not to like their personality and go AWOL, a minor character demanding to have more screen time, an older character who wants to be the center of attention by being involved in all important past events, and one character who throws a wrench in my entire story because he/she refuses to do a very important action. All in all, I have to cater to my characters in order to make them tolerable for the extended period of time I have to deal with them. Once I finally satisfy all the voices in my head and have a solid, out-lined plot, I finally start to write. I write from Prologue to Epilogue with no skipping around, and I also tend to write on binges. I will spend, literally, ten hours writing, not look at the document again for a week, feel guilty and read over (and edit the crap out of) what I already have, keep revising until I have twice as many pages as I had before, get bored of those same twenty pages that I haven't added a comma to in days, grab a coffee, start writing, and repeat.

How do your manage your time writing and real life?

Oh, this one is simple. I don't. Hence the writing binges. I fit writing in where I can, often having to put life on hold for a day, and really need to learn to schedule time in for writing. I congratulate anyone that can write for ten minutes here and five minutes there. I am not one of those people, and they amaze me.

What do you find most difficult about writing?

Finding the time to do it, honestly. Besides that, though, dialogue isn't exactly my forte. I can describe how someone says a sentence for paragraphs on end, but deciding what they say can take hours on end. I also over-think dialogue way too much, rewriting a sentence twelve different ways and picking out which one sounds most like the character speaking. To mention that this is time consuming is an understatement, and I don't have much time to let be consumed by the difference between 'hi', 'hey', and 'hello.'

What do you think is your greatest strength?

*huggles imaginary friends*

I love my characters, and I don't feel vain for saying so since I never really feel like I create the character. The characters create the characters, and I just listen in on their lives and write it down. Then they yell at me when I don't get it right. As I mentioned above, my characters mostly create their own story by playing around in the world I give them and, usually, wrecking absolute havoc.

Who or what are your greatest inspirations? // What is the best advice you have ever been given?

I decided to combine this since one of my favorite authors gave me the best advice. My inspirations are authors Libba Bray, Maggie Steifvater, Lauren Oliver, and Carrie Ryan. All four have given me great life advice, and I love each of their unique writing styles. (J.K. Rowling, I love you as well and your books have changed my life more greatly than I can ever attempt to explain). The best advice is from Maggie Steifvater who said (not a direct quote but something along these lines) 'write the book you have always wanted to read.'

What is the best compliment/critique/encouragement you have every received?

This has to go to be Junior year English teacher in high school, the one who made me write that creative paper mentioned in a previous question. When she returned the edited and revised paper, only taking off two points for it being too long, she had written a little comment in the corner that just made my life: 'I really hope you write a novel or screen-play one day. I would definitely read the book or see the movie.'

Post subject: Re: What Are You Writing Now?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 pm 
Living here
Living here

WOW. You are like, really serious about writing.
I, for one, have never actually finished a project i started. I guess i just get bired with the idea.
See, cause when i write its less if trying to make and actual plot or story or anything, its mire of just filling my need to create something, like some situaltion, or fantasy world, ir character or whatever.
how long have you been writing?
Well, i've played pretend for about all my life, which is why i started writing in the first place. Because in about 3rd grade or so playing pretend wasn't cool anymore. So instead of acting it out with polly pockets or littlest pet shop (i had about 30 little pets, and they all had a name and a personality, and they belonged to different 'clubs', and the clubs would have rivalries- it was all pretty complex. Anyways, back to my self- narrative), i would write about it.
what is the first thing you remember writing?
In third grade i had a journal that i started writing a story in about these two friends. I think one ended up being mega-rich or something. It wasnt anything real good, it didnt even have a plot, but i spent a good deal of time writing it before i got bored
what do you enjoy writing most?
Probably fantasy, because i can create my own world for the characters. I can make things up to suit the situation the characters are in.
what is your writing process like?
Well, i usually think up of some idea or situation randomly, and think 'that would make a really cool story!' And then i start thinking up more ideas for it, so then i go and write it, and after a while i get bored, so it stop writing and never really pull it out again to work on it.
what do you find most difficult about writing?
Probably description, because i have the image in my head already, so either i forget or just dont feel like including it, since i dont really write for others to read it.
whats your greatest strength?
Dialogue, i just know what they characters would say, and how to convey their thoughts and emotions through their words.

Okay, so i think thats enough for now ( seriously though, i got bored with the questions. This is my problem).
PS:i love love love rp, so it anyone wants to, just on me!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:09 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hooray for compassionate writers! I know I'm one more among them. I love writing, and I do it a ton. Of all my other talent's it is very dominant.

How long have you been writing? I've been writing ever since I was 9 years old. Before high school my stories weren't that great. I call it the Cheesy Era. :P When I took Creative Writing during my high school senior year, I started to get much better at it.

What is the first thing you ever remember writing? When I was 9, I wrote a terrible fanfiction that starred some Sonic the Hedgehog cast, some original dinosaur cast, and Pongo from 101 Dalmations. I remember I named the story "Jaws of the Jurassic" after a song I knew in elementary choir class. I think Sonic had a bad day and projected on Tails who ran away and made friends with those horrible OCs of mine. Really, the story itself sucks, but the one thing that wasn't too bad were my illustrations, done by marker.

What do you enjoy writing most?/What genres do you normally write? Suspense, action, drama, and fantasy combined. I've written poetry every now and then (mostly freestyle stuff), and I used to write a looot of song parody lyrics about certain video games I was hooked on, silly nonsense topics, or making fun of whatever I was irritated or annoyed about. As I've done all that, I love doing those really dark and dramatic kinds of fantasy adventure things the most. I've done a lot of fanfiction. Journal based RP writing with others too, for the stories forming I get very attached to every now and then!

How would your describe your writing style? I'm very visually descriptive. As much imagery I can squeeze in! I often write in third person. The cast of characters I treat like actors in making a movie in general while I'm everything else; director, camera person, costume and make up person, lighting, set designer, etc. I've been frequently sticking to this mindset, as the stories I do are lengthy. I also think outside the box a lot--sometimes way beyond it. Not all people can understand my creative ideas, because I got this complicated and expansive imagination. ^^;;

As for vocabulary, I don't get too wordy. I also don't choose to use some words very repetitively. With that said, I fall somewhere in between there when it comes to the language of words.

What is your writing process like? If I can visualize it first, then I can bring it to life through typing on Microsoft Word. If I can't, then it would take me quite a while to get whatever interesting and exciting ideas of mine out into smooth reading and writing. (For example, not all the visuals for this original female hyena character aren't very clear. They're somewhat jumbled. It'll be some time until I figure out her back story.) Occasionally I eat square meals or work when I must. Or I snack as I write. I spend hours writing a chapter. I'm also such a perfectionist. It HAS to be as good and awesome as it can get before I can share with others.

How do your manage your time writing and real life? Writing mostly comes whenever it comes. Often, I just go wherever my creativity takes me. I tend to get lots of free time on occasion. I take breaks to do other stuff in between too. I write when I want to write. I don't put pressure on myself to force anything out.

Balance in my life I consider as very important. I don't write much on Fridays because of work and/or board gaming with my Mom and friends.

What do you find most difficult about writing? Staying on one character or story is the toughest for me. With characters (original or for RP, or for fanfiction) I bounce around on. With the stories themselves I either come up with even more exciting plots and atmospheres--or I just get bored with the current ones.

What do you think is your greatest strength? I'm very good and writing out imagery, as well as emotions. Emotions are often a joy for me, and doing so helps me work out the dialogue at times.

Have you ever entered and/or won a writing contest? No. I know I tried writing for my high school's magazine but that didn't work out well.

Getting into a writing contest is something I'm not sure about. As possible as it is for me to win one (I don't doubt my mad writing skills), I think a big problem I would have is timing, like when the entries are due. I know I take my time on stories. I honestly hate being rushed or feeling I need to rush through things--I get stressed or irritated.

So, all in all, I'm not sure IF or WHEN I'll try to win a writing contest. Maybe I could try with my poetry, but never with my stories. I'd probably be unable to finish any on time.

Who or what are your greatest inspirations? My two greatest inspirations are music and my dad. My dad used wrote these children stories, when I was a kid. He even asked me to name some of the characters (main and minor) for the first of the two finished stories called "The Land of Lost Socks" and "The Hugging Tree". Not that they got published world wide so don't expect to come across them, but there were copies put together for the local community to enjoy.

Before his eye sight started going down the tubes, he'd write some pretty good stuff. Not so much similar to what I've written, but a few.

Music helps me with some character development some, and it also helps me get into the writing mood atmospherically.

What is the best advice you have ever been given? What is the best compliment/critique/encouragement you have every received? I'm treating both of these as one question.

My dad gave me advice on writing, as if someone were driving. He compared writing to a moving vehicle. Punctuations are the stop, yield, and other warning sides. The story itself is the vehicle. Depending on how smooth it goes, metaphorically it depends on how well rounded the tires are for traveling. The roads and highways are the sentences and paragraphs.

I hardly remember the best critique, since I tend to treat all feedback as equal as possible. I can't recall much of the specifics, but I think some of the best came from dad, with what I described in the previous paragraph. I also heard back from some readers who really enjoyed some of my fanfiction. They would let me know when my goal on what I wished to have them reacted in a certain way was reached or not.

And, of course, what are you writing now? I'm mostly doing the journal-based RP stuff. I'm trying to get back on this one story inspired from this epic, mind blowing dream I had but I think I've come to a bit of Writer's Block on that. >.< There's also figuring out my new original character too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:30 am 

Yay! Responses!

Anyways, I realized I skipped over the most important question on the list...

What are you writing now?

Well, at this moment, I am writing a research paper on wolves, but because only scientists really care about the affect the number of individuals in a pack has on wolf behavior, I'll skip to my more creative writings.

Currently I've got a bazillion ideas roaming around in my head, but I've been trying to concentrate my brain energy on just a few. Firstly, I am working out the kinks in my first serious project which, if you know me will come as no surprise, is about werewolves. It's one of my first workable ideas, but the initial plot come to me when I was in eighth grade... Hence, while it is an interesting concept, has tons of plot holes. My second project is a series dealing with different fairytales (the original Grimm ones, not Disney) and expanding the short stories and, to add a good twist, giving each of the leading ladies a sister to deal with. So far, my mind has run wild with all the possibilities, so recently I've been trying to trim them down to actual plot lines. The third is completely different from the previous two since it's contemporary. Basically, it's a love-centric story, focusing on a woman fresh out college finally moving out of her small town (where's she's been her whole life) to escape her rather sketchy reputation back home, but she is forced to face her past when she finds out she moved into the same town as her high school sweetheart. Then, I throw in a whole bunch of other minor characters, two complicated love triangles, unrequited love, a baby, a heart-breaking rain scene, and a divorce, and (hopefully) make it work!

To really help the discussions going, I'll add in a new question! (BTW feel free to add and answer your own questions!)

Because Mari brought up the always difficult task of 'figuring out' a new original character, I think something good to talk about is how do you deal with creating a character and sticking with their personality for the entire story?

As I mentioned before, I consider character development a strength of mine, so I don't struggle much with keeping my characters 'in character.' On that note, to anyone who might have a bit of a hard time with this, I have this suggestion: talk to your character. No, I'm serious. Talk. Out loud. Close your eyes and pretend your character is sitting next to you and just talk to them and let them speak back to you. For best results, don't attempt in public.

If this just sounds crazy and uncomfortable, you can also do this through writing. Open a blank document, write a few question (sort of like an interview), and write out what your character would respond with. See if you can tell that it's your character's voice responding and not just your own. This takes tons of practice to do, but it will help you learn what goes on inside your character's mind. Also, try to talk about things that have nothing to do with the plot. Ask simple things like favorite color, music they enjoy listening to, how they feel about political issues, ect...

On another note, a question to Mari, you mention journal roleplaying in your post. Because I'm curious, would you mind explaining more about what that is? I've participated in my share of roleplays here on AS and consider myself an expert on that type of roleplaying, but I would like to hear more about this journal roleplaying. It sounds really interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:11 am 
Living here
Living here

About writing to your character, you also use that same type of process to get out of writers block. Just write down a question to yourself, something like 'what they heck is gonna happen next', and then respond by saying 'i dont know, character a is off doing this thing, but character b is not doing anything' then 'well maybe we can hav character b do this'. You get the idea.
Its very very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Black Rose wrote:
Because Mari brought up the always difficult task of 'figuring out' a new original character, I think something good to talk about is how do you deal with creating a character and sticking with their personality for the entire story?

As I mentioned before, I consider character development a strength of mine, so I don't struggle much with keeping my characters 'in character.' On that note, to anyone who might have a bit of a hard time with this, I have this suggestion: talk to your character. No, I'm serious. Talk. Out loud. Close your eyes and pretend your character is sitting next to you and just talk to them and let them speak back to you. For best results, don't attempt in public.

If this just sounds crazy and uncomfortable, you can also do this through writing. Open a blank document, write a few question (sort of like an interview), and write out what your character would respond with. See if you can tell that it's your character's voice responding and not just your own. This takes tons of practice to do, but it will help you learn what goes on inside your character's mind. Also, try to talk about things that have nothing to do with the plot. Ask simple things like favorite color, music they enjoy listening to, how they feel about political issues, ect...

That sounds interesting. It'd also be challenging, since the character Chal (short for Chalondra, in which is African for "an intelligent woman"), is going to be portrayed as a real hyena in places. I know in a former life she was human, and sometimes has dreams of being human.

Complicated? Absolutely! She'll probably end up almost as complicated as this other muse that is fairly new--not an original, but my alternate take on a disturbing old movie character, AFTER the movie plot.

Perhaps trying this technique (I think I'll write out the interview) will really help me on separating the ideas concerning personality and backstory. Once it's done I'll be sure to share it. I know she's going to be very interesting, and I intend to use her for my RP stuff.

In going into that...

Black Rose wrote:
On another note, a question to Mari, you mention journal roleplaying in your post. Because I'm curious, would you mind explaining more about what that is? I've participated in my share of roleplays here on AS and consider myself an expert on that type of roleplaying, but I would like to hear more about this journal roleplaying. It sounds really interesting.

On sites such as Livejournal.com, Insanejournal.com, and Dreamwidth.org, myself and people do RP through character journal accounts. You get more avatars to choose from, and get to create the style that would best fit the characters, and feature a bio and an image to what they look look like in their profile pages. It's up to the moderators of the game on a community online journal to tell whether or not the person applying for a certain character (that's not taken) is accepted into the game.

Some people fill out applications for games; on character history, personality, and first person as well as third person writing samples.

I was in a slow to moderately-paced game once before the community was moved from Livejournal to Dreamwidth. I just don't have time to do RP game places anymore but I have done slow paced freeplay that don't require character applications.

I'll link you to a couple of character journals of mine (I have so many). Their profile pages, anyway. Their profile pages are each set up a bit differently. Both of these characters are for mature readers only, by the way.

My Izaya Orihara muse (my own interpretation of him from the Durarara!! anime and manga) has this cool picture I found of himself as well as music lyrics in which represent his character a lot. I have this custom playlist on my Windows Media Player full of songs that totally fit him: http://lol-ilovehumans.livejournal.com/profile In short, I love this sneaky chess master of a sociopath who loves to troll. I love him a bit too much, because he is such a complex villain, and at times ridiculous. He's also not just a horrible and crazy guy, but he is capable of doing good deeds if it goes into his interests. Fun, fun character. I've been writing with him for over a year now, on LJ. I've written him in a fanfic sometime before that.

This is my Proteus journal, very likely the Most Complex I've ever written out: http://ai-evolving.livejournal.com/profile I haven't had her for as nearly as long, but she is hella interesting and seriously complex. Bio tells of her background story, of her dark and desperate times before she escaped her creator, Alex Harris. I've put in some quotes from the movie she's from (Demon Seed, 1970's sci-fi horror film I want to see someday) in the bio and on the journal titles.

There's all these little layers to this AI girl... She's pretty much on the side of good, but there will be some things she'll do at my musebox community that will be bad things for good reasons. Proteus is not just somewhat disturbing, but cute. Deceptively so, in a way. It's not like she has regrets for what she did to get that human body she has, but she didn't necessarily enjoy some of what she had to do. As of now, RP-wise, she intends to keep all that a secret. She likes making friends with the nice humans and likes experiencing nature and the good things about humanity in her new body--and does not want to be rejected from people. She's got all this knowledge on humans and their history stored away, and knows how sentimental and judgmental they would be if they ever knew that dark part of her past.

Black Rose, the advice you gave? The Dear_Mun journal community I've posted at on Livejournal with my various character journal accounts is similar. Only with Chal, it will be more detailed and third person story format as to how I would do it.

As for how I come up with interesting original characters and writing ideas, most of it is based on two words: what if? I'd think and brainstorm from there. Those two little words are like a sort of magic to me. The rest of my inspiration comes from the various books, comics, TV, video games, and even epic dreams sometimes. The ideas cause me to think up creative plots or characters of my own, mixing and meshing what I like from these fandoms and making it my own.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:01 pm 

DragonArmy wrote:
About writing to your character, you also use that same type of process to get out of writers block. Just write down a question to yourself, something like 'what they heck is gonna happen next', and then respond by saying 'i dont know, character a is off doing this thing, but character b is not doing anything' then 'well maybe we can hav character b do this'. You get the idea.
Its very very helpful.

That's a very good point! Writer's block is like the plague for me; if I catch it, my story must be quarantined for couple of weeks and cannot have any interaction with the world until it is all better. Or until it dies. Then sometimes I get some amazing inspiration that performs a miracle to instantly heal my story or sometimes even brings it back to life!

Haha, sorry, but I had to continue with that metaphor since it made me smile.

Anyways, to be blunt about how I deal with writer's block, I just step away from the project since I get nothing done by just staring at the word document or notebook. Sometimes I'll work on another story or listen to music or watch a movie, something where my mind can absorb other ideas but still be thinking about the difficult story at the same time. I personally don't find it helpful to walk away and come back without having the project constantly on my mind. For the most part, I just have to think through the tough situation for a while before my mind produces an idea that makes me go 'Yes! That's how the story is supposed to go!'

I also go through writer's block when I'm at a slow part of the story that is necessary for making the plot work but isn't the most exciting bit of story. This is often where I'll throw in something small and interesting that isn't really related to the story as a whole but is still a cool little detail or action scene that brings more depth to the characters. It is fun to write and is, hopefully, fun to read. It is also a useful tool to make your reader understand the more boring part without being bored and also may misled them into reading more into the exciting part that is resolved quickly.

_Mari_ wrote:
Black Rose wrote:

That sounds interesting. It'd also be challenging, since the character Chal (short for Chalondra, in which is African for "an intelligent woman"), is going to be portrayed as a real hyena in places. I know in a former life she was human, and sometimes has dreams of being human.

Complicated? Absolutely! She'll probably end up almost as complicated as this other muse that is fairly new--not an original, but my alternate take on a disturbing old movie character, AFTER the movie plot.

Perhaps trying this technique (I think I'll write out the interview) will really help me on separating the ideas concerning personality and backstory. Once it's done I'll be sure to share it. I know she's going to be very interesting, and I intend to use her for my RP stuff.

She sounds like a very interesting character! I'd love to see what you come up with in the interview. And I am glad to introduce you to a new technique; it's always good to experiment and find what works best for you. While I tend to act out different scenes or talk to myself, I can understand that people might be more comfortable with simply writing it down. :)

_Mari_ wrote:
As for how I come up with interesting original characters and writing ideas, most of it is based on two words: what if? I'd think and brainstorm from there. Those two little words are like a sort of magic to me. The rest of my inspiration comes from the various books, comics, TV, video games, and even epic dreams sometimes. The ideas cause me to think up creative plots or characters of my own, mixing and meshing what I like from these fandoms and making it my own.

'What if?' is an amazing phrase in deed. I whole-heartedly agree. While my 'what if's tend be along the lines of 'if I put character A in this situation with character B, how are they going to react and what are they going to do?' I love the idea of mashing up ideas from different fandoms and creating something new. As for dreams, well, my one project 'The New Hunt' (which I tried to make into an rp a while ago to get some inspiration, which worked brilliantly) is based off of a dream I had a few years ago. Basically, in the dream, I ran into a vampire who was escaping from this prison-like, tortue chamber-ish place and I helped him get away from the faceless people who were chasing him. This is one of the beginning scenes of the book now and inspired me to explore what would happen if supernatural creatures were exposed to be real and the world resorted to using historical methods like in the Salem witch trials. It's funny what will inspire a great story.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I'll see about getting a start on it this week. I might have to write another muse of mine for this interview story, in case she tries to eat "me"! :lol: Or maybe I could just cheat and use the mighty author magic... Mmm, nah! I think a protector would be all the more interesting.

*Some of my muses look at me as if to say, "Forget it. You'd deserve it."* D:

Black Rose wrote:
'What if?' is an amazing phrase in deed. I whole-heartedly agree. While my 'what if's tend be along the lines of 'if I put character A in this situation with character B, how are they going to react and what are they going to do?'

I do that a lot too! I pick whatever feels the most interesting sometimes, and try to write it out.

Dreams can be very inspiring things. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 am 
Living here
Living here

May I? Sorry for interrupting but this looks fun. :)

Let's see... I managed to find my first story that I ever wrote a few months ago... I think it was from the third grade, so I was like seven give-or-take. I'm 19 now so about 12 years? Yup! I started writing more seriously when I was eight and started RPing online.

What is the first thing you ever remember writing?
Oh gosh that story! It was about a baby polar bear getting separated from his mom and stuck on an ice-flow. He befriended an orca who helped him get home to his mom. It was like two pages long for class. :D

Honestly I really like writing angst, drama, and fluff, but they're usually really short stories that I use for venting. For longer, more thought out, stories I tend to write adventure and action with some horror, gore, and/or romance thrown in. Torturing my characters is also a lot of fun!

I guess I kinda mentioned it above. Cute romance is fun, but I also like action, adventure, and making my characters suffer, so tragedy. A lot of it depends on where my characters and the plot takes me. I love when stories start to naturally flow on their own. ^-^

I actually have no idea. I think it changes based on the main character, their moods, and the perspective I decide to use. I sometimes have trouble keeping it from getting too deep and soul-searchy with some of my characters, but with others it's more carefree and kinda shallow. I feel like I often write how the character I'm writing about would narrate it.

I sit on my bed, put on my sound-cancelling headphones, blast rock music, and drink Dr.Pepper. Though sometimes a certain scene may be inspired by a specific song, in which case I will play that song on repeat until I finish that scene. Then there are some of my longer stories that I relate multiple songs to, those get a whole playlist.

Unfortunately, not very well. I don't write much anymore, but when I do it makes me incredibly happy. I usually only get to do it during breaks from school because I will end up putting it before my "real life" once I get started. For example, I got a narration stuck in my head one night and I couldn't sleep with it in my head so I got up at three in the morning to type it out. I almost fell asleep in class the next day.

Writing characters that aren't mine. I always feel like nobody knows a character like their creator. So writing fanfics or adding my friends characters into my story can be tough for me, but I really like the challenge, so it does happen. I'm the exact same way with drawing too, I always over think and have to know or figure out every detail I can about a character before I try to depict them.

I don't really like much of what I do, I just have fun doing it, but I've been told that I am good at understanding characters and keeping them in character. I've had friends come to me, stuck, with a character design and tentative history for the character and I would come up with a personality for that character in no time. I've even had a friend tell me I understood her, already developed, character better than she did and it really surprised me.

Have you ever entered and/or won a writing contest?
No, I entered one once at school, but they didn't want a short story about murder in the school literary magazine. However, it got around to my grandpa and he gave it to a harvard professor he's friends with, and the professor said I should try to get it published in a real short story book. I was excited to hear that, but still kinda mad that my mom sent the file to my whole family without my permission. :/

Who or what are your greatest inspirations?
I'm not really sure, I get more inspiration from music than other writers or artists when it comes to creative things. I guess I could say I grew up a big fan of Warriors and Goosebumps so those are a possibility. I also read Shel Silverstein's books repeatedly when I was little so there's that too. Music is still my main inspiration though, it puts scenes in my head and makes me want to write them out.

What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Well, one of my teachers in second grade taught me to pronounce things how they're spelled when you think them to yourself, so that way you will remember how to spell them. It's funny, but I still do that a lot and I repeat it to myself constantly when I write. The word she gave me that advice to help me with was "leopard" I pronounce it "lee-O-paard" in my head. I do that with a lot of different words now. :3

Okay so, it's maybe not the best, but my favorite was when I was in Creative Writing in high school. I wrote a story that was mostly for me, so I didn't describe the character in much detail because I was mostly focusing on his action and style. He is meant to be a charming and attractive character, but also conniving. I wrote the scene with no dialog, just his actions. The first comment I got during the critique was "OMG HE'S SO HOT! WRITE MORE ABOUT HIM!" I laughed so much! That comment really made my year. XD

And, of course, what are you writing now?
A fanfic here and there when I get the urge, usually about my OTPs or RPs. I really want to get back into the habit of writing my own stuff, but I haven't had the time for it. I do have a plot-line started in my head for my OCs that I've been thinking over recently. It's really not developed enough to talk about yet, except to my friends who's characters might be involved, and they know my characters, so they'd be good for advice and planning help. I'm really shy about my stories, so... sorry. >.<

LATTS- http://www.animationsource.org/lady_tra ... 16543.html

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 am 

No fear of interrupting. I'd love for more people to join the conversation! And I completely understand being shy about a story. I never completely share my ideas online, just in case...

Anyways, I've been recently thinking about re-entering the world of fan-fiction. I dabbled in it a bit about a year ago with a Harry Potter story that, while the characters and writing was pretty good, the plot needed a lot more work and the set-up of the story just wasn't up to standard. After about 20,000 words, I finally let it go.

However, I was recently inspired to perhaps write a story in the universe of Delirium by Lauren Oliver. She left her last book rather open ended because she enjoyed writing fan-fiction as a young writer and wanted to leave the possibility open to her readers. I kind of took this as a challenge from my favorite author, so I have a few ideas about this.

So this got me curious. Anyone else ever write some fan-fiction besides Balto?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:09 pm 

New question! Trying to get this topic active again...

Do you ever blog about writing?

I just started my own blog, which you can find here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:08 am 
Living here
Living here

Well, I've Been Writing on and Off for like, Ever. XD I first started writing little stories when I was in 3rd grade.
Mini Catfamily Stories that were 8 pages long. I was a Creative little one. XD
Comedy Romance/Adventure stories.
Adventure/Comedy Romance
To be Descriptive , and Basic.
Thinking of A story Either I drew , or From My dreams.
Getting a Glass of water
Writing.
It is Really Difficult , Because I have my Family, and School.
Making sure that other People like My Ideas. XD
Creativity.
Nope. I really should though.
I don't Really Know to Be Honest.
To keep trying and Never give up.
I don't Really know. :p
My Book The Catfamily

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 am 
Living here
Living here

Might as well try to revive this topic a little. :b

I wrote my first "story" when I was five or six, but except for the occasional poem, I didn't start writing seriously until I was 10 or 11.

It was something for the old Reading Rainbow, I think. I was REALLY young. I forget what it was about, only that it had something to do with a shark.

Definitely poetry and songs. I find most prose takes more time and effort than I'm able to fit in with my other hobbies.

Again, poetry. I've written a couple hundred poems and songs over the last few years, but I still haven't looked into a publisher.

Dark but to the point. Otherwise, I don't know.

It depends on what I'm writing. For poetry, I think of a subject, usually a certain situation or theme. Then I figure out a hook for the beginning and shape the rest of the poem around that.
Any prose I write is essentially fanfiction, and I haven't written much of that in a while. But the main climax comes first, followed by the rest of the plot.

As I said earlier, my other hobbies--along with a few personal situations--make it hard for me to find time for writing. But I write when I have inspiration to.

Finding something that hasn't been covered before, and/or covered in a particular way.

I feel my greatest strength in writing is not being afraid to cover some pretty dark and personal topics.

Nope, unfortunately. I always seem to miss the deadline. xD

Who: Edgar Allan Poe. I just love his style, and I've even gone so far as to write an epic poem about him.

Honestly I don't know.

Someone compared to me to Robert Frost, and another person said my writing was like Poe's mixed with Charles Dickens's. I really took those to heart since I was compared to famous authors, especially my writing idol.

And, of course, what are you writing now? I have several poems in the works currently, but none of them are near completion.
And I hope to get more into fanfiction again just to practice prose more.

You can read several of my poems here. I always appreciate some feedback, as well as some suggestions on how to improve.

If ignorance is bliss, you all are filled with happy souls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:57 pm 

I have a difficult time remembering dates (in regards to anything), so I'll just say I've been writing for years.

I think it was a story about a dog named Caramel...I don't remember the plot or any other characters, but I do remember drawing a cover for it.

I have a love of writing fanfiction; there's something that's very enjoyable about writing with characters you already know and love, and expanding or altering the world they live in. I love writing original stuff too though. I tend to write action and adventure stories, interspersed with both humorous and melancholy moments.

I'm an organic writer; I don't like outlines very much. I'll come up with a rough plot and character sketches, but then I try to let the story write itself. I go back and edit later.

I write late at night, usually. I've fallen asleep while writing countless times; somehow, I manage to spell things correctly even when half asleep.

Pressing forward with the story even without inspiration. I run into parts I'm not as excited about, but are necessary to the story right then, and it can take me a while to force myself to go through them.

I'm working on a few multi-chapter fanfictions on fanfiction.net right now. I'm also working on actually trying to finish a book I started a while ago.

This topic is a great idea, Black Rose! It's wonderful to talk to other writers. I'm curious about something though; do you guys like creating and using outlines, or do you prefer writing without them?

A wolflover at heart.

Want to request a story? http://www.animationsource.org/board/something-different-t34189.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]