The movie and book 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Series and book 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Series and movie 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Watership Down
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

Okay, so Watership doesn't have a site yet, but I hear it's on the way: Thus, I'll start on a question. When, like, what month(s) could we expect it? Will it just be for the - *shudder* - series, or will it include the movie(I won't be surprised if it doesn't...) or book? That one bugs me... if you've ever read the book, you'll see major character derailment in the series(Bigwig isn't the type to sit around and complain about everything, Pipkin is very, VERY timid, Kehaar... just... Kehaar, so on...), but the movie was okay with that... I can't personally expect an Animation Age Ghetto movie which would be PG-13 today, though, it was very, very graphic...

...ANYway, Watership down: What do you guys think of it? Ever read the book(Did you know there WAS one? XD)? Traumatized by the movie? Watched the series? Favorite characters? Least favorite? Anyone figured out how to pronounce Thethuthinnang's name and not have to conciously think about it before saying it?

Post subject: Re: Watership Down
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:58 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I LOVE Watership down!
I've read the book, watched the movie, and the series was my favourite as a kid!
The book and the movie made me cry a lot, and you're right about the inaccuracy of the character's personalities, it really bugs me now.
I love pipkin cause he's a cutie <3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:30 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have seen the movie and I have read the books (theres two books). I don't wanna watch the series because *shudder* who knows whats been done. The movie is great. I have so many favorite characters, I like Fiver the most. I believe that Thethuthinnang is pronounced fet-hut-in-nang.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

Well, I watched the series and the film. I read most of the book too, they were great! ^^
Um...I like all the rabbits, they have great personalities. ^^

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:32 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

im reading the book now but i have not watched the movie yet .

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:18 am 
Animation Source is my home!

In order:
Part of season 3, book, movie then whole series (though skipping the boring fillers).

Now I really want to read Tales Of Watership Down.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:48 pm 

I've seen part of the series, the movie and I read some of the first book.
Honestly I prefer the book over anything else.

Gone forever! Thanks for the memories! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:19 pm 

I saw the movie first when I was about ten years old and while I understood the basics of the story I didn't truly appreciate it until some years later when I took a summer school English literature class and had a wonderful teacher who loved WSD. We read the book and also saw the movie, and wrote essays about it. After reading the book, naturally I gained a greater love and understanding of the simple yet powerful story and appreciated the characters all the more.

I also read Tales of Watership Down and while it was lambasted by critics, it should be appreciated not necessarily for being a sequel ( and hence, sequels are always going to be disappointing in their own way) but just as a continuation of a great storyline. Did it have the same impact on me as the original book? No, but I liked it for providing me with answers to questions that I had about 'what happened then?' after the original storyline.

Likewise it should be noted that when people claim to be disappointed by the movie as compared to the book, there's a very important introduction in the film picture book regarding that: that they are two very different forms of media and so a film should not be expected to be exactly like the book...but an adaptation. With that in mind, to me, the film was an excellent portrayal and adaptation of the book. You can't expect the film to include every single thing from the book and nor should it. What was important was that it kept most of the main characters in there and the gist of the storyline: a democratic free society versus a harsh and totalitarian one, and the journey in between.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:28 am 

I used to love the series when that was shown in my country for decades ago.