Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Was Kevin Bacon embarrassed to play Balto?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:33 am 

Someone told me around '96 people would stop him on the streets about it and he was actually coerced into playing it.

That's a pity if he was. Balto is a great movie and the character is quiet but relatable to fellow shysters or just people who have identity problems. :)

Post subject: Re: Was Kevin Bacon embarrassed to play Balto?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:22 am 
Famous one
Famous one

There is no point in listening to rumors and scuttlebutt until you have seen some official and verified statement from either Kevin Bacon himself, or someone connected with the production. There is absolutely no evidence of this, and nobody has ever mentioned it here (or anywhere else that I've ever seen) before.

If you believed every rumor that floats around concerning Hollywood and its many odd personalities, you wouldn't know which way was up.

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:36 am 

Okay :mrgreen:

Well, whoever they got to voice Balto in the second and third film didn't sound very excited. I guess maybe Kevin was voice Tremor 3...? I dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:26 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Frankly, Kevin Bacon is not known for emotional range in his voice acting. He's very deadpan. Almost as bad as Kevin Costner. I think Maurice LaMarche, who played Balto in both sequels, emoted better than Bacon did. Much better.

I don't know where you're getting this notion that Maurice LaMarche "didn't sound very excited". What was he supposed to be doing? Sounding ridiculously-giddy? That would have ruined it. LaMarche is a veteran voice actor. He knows how to emote with his voice, and make it sound realistic instead of cartoony (unless cartoony is the intent of a character he's playing. And cartoony definitely WASN'T what they wanted for Balto).

And what is "Tremor 3"? What are you talking about? If you are referring to "Tremors 3: Back To Perfection" the movie, then you'd be mistaken...no matter which "voice" you were referring to (and, since this was a live-action movie, I don't know why you'd be referring to a "voice"): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259685/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:36 pm 
Animation Source is my home!
Animation Source is my home!

I've never understood his mindset toward that role. I guess his priorities are different, but personally I can't see anything I'd rather do than inspire the next generation (well, maybe one thing), and that's what Balto did.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:06 am 
Living here
Living here

BaltoSeppala wrote:
Frankly, Kevin Bacon is not known for emotional range in his voice acting. He's very deadpan. Almost as bad as Kevin Costner. I think Maurice LaMarche, who played Balto in both sequels, emoted better than Bacon did. Much better.

I don't know where you're getting this notion that Maurice LaMarche "didn't sound very excited". What was he supposed to be doing? Sounding ridiculously-giddy? That would have ruined it. LaMarche is a veteran voice actor. He knows how to emote with his voice, and make it sound realistic instead of cartoony (unless cartoony is the intent of a character he's playing. And cartoony definitely WASN'T what they wanted for Balto).

And what is "Tremor 3"? What are you talking about? If you are referring to "Tremors 3: Back To Perfection" the movie, then you'd be mistaken...no matter which "voice" you were referring to (and, since this was a live-action movie, I don't know why you'd be referring to a "voice"): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259685/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Dont kill me old post is old I know I know. BUT I WILL SAY this is 100% on point with my own opinions about the casting throughout the entire trilogy. I agree completely and totally that LaMarche was WAY WAY better in this role than Kevin was and Kevin Bacon's one of my favorite actors of all time but just not in voiceover work.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:53 am 

Gemini Syndrome wrote:
BaltoSeppala wrote:

Dont kill me old post is old I know I know. BUT I WILL SAY this is 100% on point with my own opinions about the casting throughout the entire trilogy. I agree completely and totally that LaMarche was WAY WAY better in this role than Kevin was and Kevin Bacon's one of my favorite actors of all time but just not in voiceover work.

But only in live action.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:23 am 

We all know that the startalents are not very good idea for the interpretation of the voices of an animated movie characters, Although there are exceptions, Kevin Bacon is a good actor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 am 

AlexKaltag92 wrote:
We all know that the startalents are not very good idea for the interpretation of the voices of an animated movie characters, Although there are exceptions, Kevin Bacon is a good actor

But not a good voice actor.

Advertisement