Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Two controversial moments in masterpiece.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:00 am 

Okay. In fact, I love this movie. This is a serious, dramatic and epic work with elements of "Hamlet" in the world of lions. Amazing music, awesome landscapes and beautiful animals. But with all this, I see two strange moments in the cartoon. Two obvious moments that great puzzled me.

1. Scar did not kill Simba, although such a possibility was. Why? He killed own brother for power, but he has not killed Simba. Simba was weak, was in a state of shock because of his father's death, Simba was literally close to Scar, Scar even embraced Simba. Why could not he just kill or strangle a lion cub?

Scar tells the hyenas to kill Simba, but he knows that for such an important matter they are very bad choice. Then why he ordered them? The last time attempt to kill the lion cubs was failed, hyenas have not fulfilled even that. Why Scar missed?

2. This scene was taken straight out of "Hamlet". By the prince comes the spirit of his father and sends it. However, even here there is one logical hole. I think that this was done to enhance the drama in subsequent scenes. But let me tell you. Mufasa didn't say to Simba about the murderer. Why?
How well I remember, in "Hamlet" the envious brother killed the king when he slept, but the deceased king comes to his son as a ghost and tells him that he was killed by his brother. But in the film, Mufasa saw the killer. He saw how Scar killed him, but for some reason Mufasa did not say to Simba about this. Why?

I found these moments missed from the general form.

Thanks for reading. Write your theories.

Attachments:
latest(1).png
latest(1).png [ 159.6 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
84787(1).jpg
84787(1).jpg [ 17.18 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
84280(1).jpg
84280(1).jpg [ 16.89 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Two controversial moments in masterpiece.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Merely my opinion, but:

1. Action had to start somehow to get Simba to leave and carry on the plot, and Disney would not just kill off the main character. ; ) Sure, it would be more realistic of Scar to kill Simba right then and there, but then we wouldn't be able to get more out of the movie.

2. I believe that Mufasa telling Simba straight up that it was Scar and to kill him would kind of taint Mufasa's fatherly, benevolent, mentor figure whose purpose was more around the "remember who you are" lesson. But also, it once again benefits to the plot of the film itself. It gives the audience that power of knowing something that Simba doesn't when he confronts Scar, and then the anticipation of him finding out from the killer himself. That also helps build up the tension and conflict up to the final fight rather than Simba going all out as soon as he arrives. It's merely more enjoyable that way.

Post subject: Re: Two controversial moments in masterpiece.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:00 am 

1. Scar needs to look innocent, and he's smart enough to know that. I don't think he could have killed Simba with his own bare paws and return to the pride. The smell of Simba's blood likely would have been nigh-impossible to wash out of his fur 100%, and suspicion would be raised if he was squeaky clean. There's also the issue of witnesses, especially if he would need to go somewhere to wash up. The lionesses presumably had little trust in him before he became king, but this way, there was nothing that could prove conclusively that he had a hand in anything.

2. Mufasa wanted to send Simba off with a sense of responsibility and duty. Telling Simba that Scar killed him would have filled Simba with a lust for revenge. It's also a little ambiguous as to whether that really was Mufasa's ghost. It could have been a hallucination on Simba's part, or magic from Rafiki, and if so, the words would have come from their knowledge base.

Advertisement