Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on the Lion King Remake 2019
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:01 am 
Supervisor
Supervisor

Well, this image of Scar pretty much sums up my feelings regarding the remake...

...Or maybe it doesn't.

I thought the remake would be bad but it was, in fact, worse. Phew.

What are your thoughts? (Optionally, post a screenshot to illustrate them)

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Lion King Remake 2019
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 pm 

Windhowler wrote:
Well, this image of Scar pretty much sums up my feelings regarding the remake...

...Or maybe it doesn't.

I thought the remake would be bad but it was, in fact, worse. Phew.

My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Aside from all the trailers, I haven't actually watched the remake, but from what I've heard and seen of it, it doesn't sound good. The characters all look annoying and unlikable, the graphics and animation could have been better, but one of the things that bothers me most are the songs.

I listened to all the songs from the soundtrack, and the only song from the original movie that actually sounded good was Circle of Life (Though I did enjoy the version of He Lives in You that was in the credits of the movie). The others all either sound like pop songs (Can You Feel the Love Tonight), or just lack spirit and emotion (Can't Wait to be King, for example). And I especially don't like how they apparently swapped Busa for a pop song.

From everything I know about the movie, it sounds lifeless, and completely lacking the things that made the original so great. This movie never needed to exist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:35 am 
Supervisor
Supervisor

SnowLeopard wrote:
Aside from all the trailers, I haven't actually watched the remake, but from what I've heard and seen of it, it doesn't sound good.

I haven't watched the whole thing either! :mrgreen: But the short clips and trailers tell me enough.

Quote:
The characters all look annoying and unlikable, the graphics and animation could have been better, but one of the things that bothers me most are the songs.

Agreed, agreed, agreed . . .

Quote:
I listened to all the songs from the soundtrack, and the only song from the original movie that actually sounded good was Circle of Life (Though I did enjoy the version of He Lives in You that was in the credits of the movie). The others all either sound like pop songs (Can You Feel the Love Tonight), or just lack spirit and emotion (Can't Wait to be King, for example).

I watched the new 'Can't Wait to be King' scene and I didn't see any of the completely crazy, unrealistic but downright interesting stuff e.g. the animal tower, making faces behind Zazu, riding ostriches, etc. (Oh, and the end harmony by Simba and Nala was corny). Disney tried so hard to make things realistic but I guess the truth is - the Lion King and realism just don't go together!

Quote:
From everything I know about the movie, it sounds lifeless, and completely lacking the things that made the original so great. This movie never needed to exist.

Agreed!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:55 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

I personally loved it, but I recognize that those who loved it seem to be fewer than those who had problems with it. Eh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The Lion King is my favorite Disney film, and I loved being able to relive a new version of it. I loved the realistic animation too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:24 am 

Yes, many of us who don't really like the remake might be influenced by our rose-tinted nostalgia goggles... I should try to find some kids who haven't watched any of the movies yet and show them both, so that we can actually see which one is better :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:58 am 
Supervisor
Supervisor

GalebG2 wrote:
Yes, many of us who don't really like the remake might be influenced by our rose-tinted nostalgia goggles...

Maybe, but personally, my views don't all come from comparing the two movies, and it's the same for a lot of people.

Looking at the Lion King 2019 as a stand-alone film, not a remake, and comparing it, actually, to other great films, I think that it is just generally a bad movie, with its lame voice acting (in some cases, singing), its boring way of telling the story, and actually-not-so-great realistic visuals (which helped water down character designs to basically nothing - I know Disney were aiming for realism so designs couldn't exactly be extravagant, but the idea was pretty rubbish to put it bluntly and they could have put a tiny bit more effort into it).

And while on the subject of the visuals, the 'realism' doesn't exactly stun me as it does some. Perhaps a lot of the people who like the remake are too 'wowed' by the animation to care about much else. That or they're Beyonce fans :shock: Or feeling nostalgic, even; but it's the feeling of nostalgia that Disney benefit from - it certainly helps to get people to watch the remakes.

Last edited by Windhowler on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:51 am 
Supervisor
Supervisor

[/quote] Looking at the Lion King 2019 as a stand-alone film, not a remake, and comparing it, actually, to other great films, I think that it is just generally a bad movie, with its lame voice acting (in some cases, singing), its boring way of telling the story, and actually-not-so-great realistic visuals (which helped water down character designs to basically nothing - I know Disney were aiming for realism so designs couldn't exactly be extravagant, but the idea was pretty rubbish to put it bluntly and they could have put a tiny bit more effort into it).

And while on the subject of the visuals, the 'realism' doesn't exactly stun me as it does some. Perhaps a lot of the people who like the remake are too 'wowed' by the animation to care about much else. That or they're Beyonce fans. Or feeling nostalgic, even; but it's the feeling of nostalgia that Disney benefit from - it certainly helps to get people to watch the remakes.[/quote]

Highly agree! Singing was not amazing - especially "Be Prepared", Scar is just basically talking through the song :?

Last edited by pawface on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

Paxis wrote:
I personally loved it, but I recognize that those who loved it seem to be fewer than those who had problems with it. Eh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The Lion King is my favorite Disney film, and I loved being able to relive a new version of it. I loved the realistic animation too.

I 100 % agree on this! You and I are an endangered species, Paxis :lol: I saw it on it's Finnish premier, it was sold out and everyone there clapped and cheered before the movie began. I just simply loved the way they brought the classic movie, my favorite movie ever, to life in a more realistic way. Also, the music score was absolutely beautiful.

(And I'm not a Beyonce fan, by the way. :roll: And I still enjoyed her performance as Nala.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:14 am 
Famous one
Famous one

-WildFire- wrote:
Paxis wrote:

I 100 % agree on this! You and I are an endangered species, Paxis :lol: I saw it on it's Finnish premier, it was sold out and everyone there clapped and cheered before the movie began. I just simply loved the way they brought the classic movie, my favorite movie ever, to life in a more realistic way. Also, the music score was absolutely beautiful.

(And I'm not a Beyonce fan, by the way. :roll: And I still enjoyed her performance as Nala.)

Haha, same! I live in Orlando now and saw it with a theatre full of Disney fans, and everyone reacted positively during the film and applauded at the end. I really enjoyed Beyonce’s voice for Nala too, despite not liking her personal music much (pop is not a genre I really enjoy). Some people think she overpowered Can You Feel The Love Tonight, but I think she actually gave it a really nice twist to the original. I love Nala as a character and appreciated that they gave her more attention this time (along with the other lionesses!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:08 pm 

Paxis wrote:
-WildFire- wrote:
Paxis wrote:

Haha, same! I live in Orlando now and saw it with a theatre full of Disney fans, and everyone reacted positively during the film and applauded at the end. I really enjoyed Beyonce’s voice for Nala too, despite not liking her personal music much (pop is not a genre I really enjoy). Some people think she overpowered Can You Feel The Love Tonight, but I think she actually gave it a really nice twist to the original. I love Nala as a character and appreciated that they gave her more attention this time (along with the other lionesses!)

Yes, exactly! I loved how Nala and Sarabi got more screen time and more attention too, and they really gave the story more depth! And the fact that we got to see how Nala left to find help, and learn about Scar's feelings for Sarabi. His hatred for Mufasa seemed to make a lot more sense now, ha ha!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:54 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I haven't seen the remake, so maybe I'm not really the best person to give opinion on it, but anyways...

Sure, they did not need to make it. It did not need to exist. But from what I've seen of it, it doesn't necessarily look like a 'bad' movie. Again, I haven't actually watched it, so I could be wrong. And yet, what one person may call the worst movie ever, another person may call the best. People shouldn't say something is bad just because THEY didn't like it.

If I were an avid Lion King fan, I'd probably be more annoyed by The Lion Guard. Why? Because it's affecting the original universe (if it's supposed to be canon.) It's probably destroyed various fan ideas and theories and brought in things that are not really the sort of thing that would happen in the original movies. As for the remake, it's not affecting the original universe. You can just ignore it.

So...yeah :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 am 

Sofi wrote:
I haven't seen the remake, so maybe I'm not really the best person to give opinion on it, but anyways...

Sure, they did not need to make it. It did not need to exist. But from what I've seen of it, it doesn't necessarily look like a 'bad' movie. Again, I haven't actually watched it, so I could be wrong. And yet, what one person may call the worst movie ever, another person may call the best. People shouldn't say something is bad just because THEY didn't like it.

If I were an avid Lion King fan, I'd probably be more annoyed by The Lion Guard. Why? Because it's affecting the original universe (if it's supposed to be canon.) It's probably destroyed various fan ideas and theories and brought in things that are not really the sort of thing that would happen in the original movies. As for the remake, it's not affecting the original universe. You can just ignore it.

So...yeah :)

Brilliantly said, Sofi. And I truly recommend you to see it, despite the negative comments you've seen here. It's a beautiful remake that stayed true to the original. :)

Ps: Agreed about The Lion Guard. Lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 am 
Supervisor
Supervisor

Sofi wrote:
And yet, what one person may call the worst movie ever, another person may call the best. People shouldn't say something is bad just because THEY didn't like it.

Very true. All opinions ( pro- or anti- Remake) should be simply that. In my opinion and from my experience, The Lion King 2019 is just not my cup of tea. People obviously have different tastes and I really quite like seeing the opposing views in this discussion.

Sofi wrote:

Now, you bring up an interesting point. That's exactly why I stopped creating my own fan ideas and theories, or bothering with them at all, long ago - avoids disappointment. Disney have the reins and they'll never please everyone. For example, not everybody was happy with the 'Six New Adventures' explanation of how Scar got his scar (via Bomo), so they came up with something else in the Lion Guard which . . . not everybody agrees with.

I'm probably not an avid Lion King fan, because (although I'm pretty cynical about most of of what Disney has brought out in recent years) I kind of like the The Lion Guard, at least better than the remake. I think Disney were more creative with their story line and ideas for the series, something they appeared not to be when it came to the Remake.

To be fair, there is a tiny percentage of the Remake I liked, in one scene I watched recently: Pumbaa as a piglet - mainly because it differed from the original. Hey, a creative alteration! And there are probably a few more of these nestled in the movie that I've missed or forgotten, I'll give Disney that. I would actually have preferred it if they had changed the plot alot more, rather than sticking to the original storyline along with some altered dialogue. Yes, there were some additional scenes, but I've watched them and they were, personally, insubstantial and predictive. Perhaps they could even have added characters they never did in the original, like Mheetu perhaps, or some other cubs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:07 pm 

While it can take pride in its visual achievements, The Lion King lacks the energy and heart that made the original so beloved. I just feel like the classic movie is way better than this remake.