Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on anthro-verses
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:31 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

I've been looking at a variety of fan fiction lately - mine and other people's - and I got to thinking: what kind of criteria ought to be considered with anthropomorphic characters and the worlds they live in?

In the context of Balto (I concede that most of these questions could be applied to any anthropomorphic series, such as Bambi, ADGTH, etc., but I've been thinking of it mainly relating to Balto), the movies clearly only set precedent for behaviors which would be within a normal dog's anatomical range, with the exception of seeing in color. For example, a story in which Balto played a game of cards would clearly be at odds with what he could do in the films. By the time you have the characters walking upright, handling complex objects with their hands, etc., you're clearly in another universe - a full-blown anthro-verse, as it were (hence the title of this topic).

On the surface this might seem a bit of a break; a lot of the materials I've seen of that nature, or even more so materials which made animal characters completely human or vice-versa, seem to beg the question: "Why not just make your own characters instead of radically altering the extant ones?" Yet at the same time I've seen some excellent anthro-verse material out there.

Bottom line: I thought I'd pick some people's brains. What, to you, makes or breaks a fanfic involving anthropomorphism of a given kind? I could give my own thoughts, but it's late; I jut wanted to get the ball rolling on this before I turned in for the night.

EDIT: Fixed a typo in the title.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

Last edited by Jake Razor on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on antrho-verses
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:02 am 
Living here
Living here

I honestly don't read much (if any) anthro fics aside from the standard Balto ones (talking and such, but really nothing else).
I'm not sure if it answers your question the way you were hoping, but I don't see a reason not to have anthro characters "cry" in the human sense--which I know dogs and other mammals cannot do.
When it comes to handling objects, I personally don't like when characters are "so anthro" that they can pick things up with their "hands". The closer to feral, the better, because otherwise, why not just make the characters human?

If ignorance is bliss, you all are filled with happy souls.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on antrho-verses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 pm 

Well, I was looking for input and I dare say you gave it to me (though what cryinf has to do with it, I don't know).

I agree in the general sense about them being "feral," as you put it; I prefer it when that's the case, and if they are going to deviate from that then I'd prefer that they be at the other end of the spectrum - within reason. When it comes to humanized stories I can only speak for myself; when I wrote "Balto's Treasure Island," I thought that using Balto characters with their particular mannerisms would add a fun new light to the classic. At the same time, I wanted to give the basic story that is Treasure Island more circulation (because it is, after all, a classic and a darn good one at that), and using Balto characters made it acceptable to post on here.

What some other writers of anthro fiction may have been thinking is often either a mystery to me or, sadly, entirely too clear, but I digress.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on anthro-verses
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:17 am 

Forett At Bukit Timah is also close to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and the future Rail Corridor.
forett bukit timah