Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The SPIRIT: UNTAMED Topic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:07 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I know lots of you are not very enthusiastic about the Spirit: Riding Free Netflix series, and I am with you.
Although I love that SPIRIT gets some fresh attention, the TV-series is nothing like the original movie from 2002.
The connection with the original story is weak: Spirit Jr, the main character from the series, is Spirit and Rain's son,
yet Spirit and Rain are only mentioned once (in a flashback webisode on the DreamWorks Spirit YouTube channel).
Spirit Jr's design is lazy: they took Spirit's design and added a blaze; there isn't much Rain in him.
They sure didn't use the foal from the Breyer Classics Spirit Kiger Mustang Family as inspiration.

But as you may have noticed, a new movie will be released later this year: Spirit Untamed.
It is based on the Netflix series and it looks like it is about the events that happen in the pilot episode.
A short trailer has been released March 15th, which you can find here.
The official movie trailer has been released March 31st, which you can find here
Spirit Untamed will be released on June 4th, 2021 (US).

I thought it would be fun to open a topic about the movie, where we can discuss it,
share information, show merchandise; that kind of stuff :3

Last edited by Tarunyada on Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The SPIRIT: UNTAMED Topic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:21 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I've seen the trailer. I'm not sure if this deems me 'not a true Spirit fan' or not, but, I'm actually pretty excited for it! I'm also okay with it re-doing the events of the pilot, but that may be annoying for fans of the show, as that probably means the movie won't be canon with it. Probably one of the biggest things that differentiates this film and the show from the original movie is that they focus a lot on human characters, but perhaps that is needed in order for them to not be too 'boring' for today's kids :lol:
The graphics, while not Pixar quality, still look good enough for me.
I'm curious as to whether other characters from the show will appear, such as Maricela. And although we don't see the original Spirit and Rain in among Spirit Jr's herd in the trailer, maybe it's always possible that that was deliberate, so as not to spoil the surprise when they do appear in the film? :P I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Sofi wrote:
I've seen the trailer. I'm not sure if this deems me 'not a true Spirit fan' or not, but, I'm actually pretty excited for it! I'm also okay with it re-doing the events of the pilot, but that may be annoying for fans of the show, as that probably means the movie won't be canon with it. Probably one of the biggest things that differentiates this film and the show from the original movie is that they focus a lot on human characters, but perhaps that is needed in order for them to not be too 'boring' for today's kids :lol:
The graphics, while not Pixar quality, still look good enough for me.
I'm curious as to whether other characters from the show will appear, such as Maricela. And although we don't see the original Spirit and Rain in among Spirit Jr's herd in the trailer, maybe it's always possible that that was deliberate, so as not to spoil the surprise when they do appear in the film? :P I don't know.

No, this does not deem you a 'untrue SPIRIT-fan' at all. I find it really harsh to judge people like that. If you are a huge fan of the original movie, it does not mind what other interests you have! You are allowed to like or dislike Spirit Riding Free, and you are allowed to like or dislike Spirit Untamed, it does not make you a lesser SPIRIT-fan! And this counts for everyone, of course!

That being said, I share your excitement for the movie. I think it looks fresh and I like how they redid some designs/the style of the horses. The graphics look pretty good indeed! I think they put the main focus on human characters because younger children can relate to them. The friendship and adventures they share, the love for horses. Although I would love to see something more relatable to the original movie, I can understand their choices (exept for the lazy design of Spirit Jr, I don't understand that choice xD).

I really hope we will see something from Spirit and Rain, at least a glimps.. I believe there were copyright issues back when Spirit Riding Free was created, but I should google this and find a source first. But I remember that this was the reason why it did not contain any original characters. But we have seen Spirit and Rain in the flashback webisode, so fingers crossed that we will see more of them!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:49 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

The full trailer is now out! https://youtu.be/X3h8h-0QEVQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:42 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Sofi wrote:
The full trailer is now out! https://youtu.be/X3h8h-0QEVQ

Thanks for sharing, I will add it to the introduction post! I think the 3D animation looks pretty neat, actually. It does not compare with the original movie, I know, but it doesn't look bad either!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:02 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

An exclusive clip has been released: https://youtu.be/tIyQrjx8KO0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:55 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Sofi wrote:
An exclusive clip has been released: https://youtu.be/tIyQrjx8KO0

Thanks for sharing! I've seen it and I really like all the different coats in Spirit Jr's herd! And that appaloosa foal <3
I really hope at least a few of them will be named..

This wave 1 blind bag series (called "minis") were released by Mattel for the "Spirit Untamed" movie.
I haven't found them for sale in my country, but found the leaflet (with names) on eBay.
I'm wondering of those horses (besides Boomerang and Chica Linda of course) are herd members?

I know there are figurines from Tiller and Pepper, produced by Just Play for "Spirit Riding Free".
But I haven't really seen the series, so I have no idea where those characters come from xD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:13 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Quote:
This wave 1 blind bag series (called "minis") were released by Mattel for the "Spirit Untamed" movie.
I haven't found them for sale in my country, but found the leaflet (with names) on eBay.
I'm wondering of those horses (besides Boomerang and Chica Linda of course) are herd members?

I'm not too sure about those minis. They are probably either herd members or just, like, random horses. For example, they released several toy horses for Spirit Riding Free that (I think) didn't feature in the show (I may or may not be wrong, as I don't watch the show).

Quote:
I know there are figurines from Tiller and Pepper, produced by Just Play for "Spirit Riding Free".

The Just Play 'Tiller', 'Pepper', and 'Sequoia' figures don't match these minis, so perhaps they're just reusing the names.

These minis, however, also don't quite match the larger toys of Spirit's herd by Mattel. So, like I said, maybe they're just random.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:09 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Sofi wrote:
I'm not too sure about those minis. They are probably either herd members or just, like, random horses. For example, they released several toy horses for Spirit Riding Free that (I think) didn't feature in the show (I may or may not be wrong, as I don't watch the show).

I think you're right about that! I remember some of those larger Just Play horses getting a profile/pic as official character on the Spirit Source, but never getting any screen time in the series. I think that's rather strange. I believe there are quite some horse characters that did appear in the series, but didn't get any toys. Why wouldn't they make toys of them, instead of just some random characters? I think that's odd xD

Sofi wrote:
These minis, however, also don't quite match the larger toys of Spirit's herd by Mattel. So, like I said, maybe they're just random.

Aaarrgh it kinda annoys me that they did that xD The same with some characters from the original SPIRIT movie/merch, some character's names from Kathleen Duey's "Spirit of the West" novel series were used in the Forever Free PC game (or vice versa), but they're totally different characters with different coats.. I wish they would just use different names or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:21 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Another clip!: https://youtu.be/LXr-9QlJBpM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:11 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Sofi wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing!!

If they keep sharing clips at this rate, we've seen the whole movie before it's even released xD

But jokes aside, I thought that little tango-moment wasn't that bad (:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:14 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Tarunyada wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing!!

If they keep sharing clips at this rate, we've seen the whole movie before it's even released xD

But jokes aside, I thought that little tango-moment wasn't that bad (:

Heh, I want to watch the clips, but at the same time I sort of don't want to spoil it XD

I thought this scene seemed kind of reminiscent of Little Creek trying to tame and ride Spirit in the original film.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:10 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Sofi wrote:
Heh, I want to watch the clips, but at the same time I sort of don't want to spoil it XD

Same! But I'm watching them anyway, because I'll get to those spoilers one way or another xD

Sofi wrote:
I thought this scene seemed kind of reminiscent of Little Creek trying to tame and ride Spirit in the original film.

True! From the clips/trailers I've seen, there seem to be quite a few nodges towards the original movie. More than there are in the TV-series, I guess!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:44 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Tarunyada wrote:
Same! But I'm watching them anyway, because I'll get to those spoilers one way or another xD

Oh, I did still watch them anyway, too. But just once, though ;)

Tarunyada wrote:
True! From the clips/trailers I've seen, there seem to be quite a few nodges towards the original movie. More than there are in the TV-series, I guess!

Seems like it to me!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Three 30 second long trailers from the Universal Latino Youtube channel (don't worry; the actual clips in them are in English!):
https://youtu.be/X1cd_OIVZzY
https://youtu.be/xzUD1f1mNcE
https://youtu.be/q0SwbJdWOu8