Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The other Romanov and other things... [sequel-focused]
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Prince Ivan... [or Prince Yvan, as I've seen posted on the Source site] What do you think about him and the last name of Romanov he has? I've seen some sites say that he's a descendent of Anastasia and her family while others say that he could be a child of Dmitri and Anastasia... What do you think?

Personally, the story seems to take place in a time before the events of the original movie, but it never states it. There isn't any mention of Rasputin or anything from the first film, so could one say that it's a prequel?

Though you gotta admit that the kid looks a lot like a mix of the love couple...

- Juuchan17

Post subject: Re: The other Romanov and other things... [sequel-focused]
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 am 
Animation Source is my home!

Oh bless you Juuchan17 for coming back. This is an excellent topic idea.

-

My sister and I have thought about it while watching the sequel last actually. She's POSITIVE he's their son, but I think different. It would make sense if so. He DOES look like them.
The idea of the movie being a prequel would have to explain to me what happened to all the royal family. According to the portrait in the first, there should be a lot, and having a kid on the throne...
I might be forced to agree with my sister on this, but in all honesty, I'd rather go on pretending the movie didn't exist.
I'm sure the film is supposed to take place in Russia where the first movie began but even as a kid and still now I don't feel like it does.
It's all just a random thing to me and it's nothing in common with the first other than using Russian royal terms and an albino bat character with the same name.

ImageImageImage
+| avie [c] RD | Sig by the awesome Hunter! 8D |?| BALIE OD IALPON. |+

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Heheh, I missed you guys. It's good to be back, though I need to draw and write some more!

Anywho, it probably could work either way - either as a prequel [though it may not follow history exactly] or as a "sequel" [again, movie-only; in reality, it would be impossible sadly]. Then again, Don Bluth did work with this one [unlike any of the sequels made from his films - aka any of the DTV "American Tail" and LBT sequels, NIMH 2, and ADGTH2], so maybe he did plan Ivan to resemble them somehow... I wonder if maybe there was a real Ivan Romanov in Anastasia's history? Someone should check that out, whether real or not.

And you're right - it is quite randomly placed for a movie. People not worried or freaking out about a talking bat? How weird. It was a better sequel than many of the other Bluth-work-based sequels, you've got to admit.

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:09 am 

Me? Well I think that Anya said no to being Tsarina of Russia, and Ivan could have been Olga (Nicholas's II sister)'s son. But I really hope it wouldn't be Anya's and Dimitris kid. xDD
But my fave idea is that he is an ancestor. Why? Because After the fall of Tsar Nicholas II, there were no tsars. And in the first movie it seems to take place in Lienn's era. So it'd be most unlikely Anya or Dimitri would reclaim the throne.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Romanov
But yeah, sadly none of the Romanov children had kids. So its inacurate history wise.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:12 am 
Famous one
Famous one

...Actually, Wikipedia says that Ivan's character is based on neither a real Prince nor a real Romanov.

Strangely, that makes sense, due to the fact that a lot of the characters have ties to Russian folklore, such as Baba Yaga herself.

...darn, the idea of him being an ancestor or a possible shipping love child did sound good.

- Juuchan17