Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: The Lion Guard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:00 am 
Animation Source is my home!

I think Fuli could be some variation of king Cheetah, but still, her markings look much more of a leopard.

It looks like they all have Lion Guard mark on thier left shoulder, it's just not seen on that image, but there was an image of Bunga with Lion Guard mark on his shoulder too.

Anyway, here's the second clip with Ono, Beshte and Rafiki:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 6105056001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:14 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Troll Berserker wrote:
I think Fuli could be some variation of king Cheetah, but still, her markings look much more of a leopard.

It looks like they all have Lion Guard mark on thier left shoulder, it's just not seen on that image, but there was an image of Bunga with Lion Guard mark on his shoulder too.

Anyway, here's the second clip with Ono, Beshte and Rafiki:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 6105056001

Yeah, I noticed Fuli's mark too... after I made the post. I'm guessing that each of Kion's friends will earn their mark,realizing that they are chosen to be the next Lion Guard team? (No, this is Cutie Marks... but in Disney!)

Also, nice clip! I hadn't seen that one, and I really love the look of this show. I amso freaking HYPED!

- Juuchan17

[EDIT - 8/17/15] Well, a full clip has now been released, though it's basically both of the previously-released clips together. Also, the "Return of the Roar" movie is being previewed at the annual D23 Expo later today, so I'm hoping for good reviews!

At least Kion seems to have more spirit and personality than his older sister at that age, though I'm hoping we see more good things that develop him into a strong leader. Also, I hope his other friends get some development time too... because I really want to like this dynamic the series is going for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:52 am 
Famous one
Famous one

I know that this is a double post, but this is more of a BUMP and an update on the upcoming premiere of "The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar"!

First, there is a now a date for the premiere - November 22!

Second, thanks to this article on Oh My Disney , we have a few new screengrabs of the movie, including of Simba, Nala, Rafiki, Mufasa, and of course, Kion and his group of friends.

Plus, there's also a teaser trailer for the movie... with nothing too new, save for a shot of Kion's Lion Guard and the date and time for the US premiere of the movie.

I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled for any new info and pics until November 22! Are you excited yet?

- Juuchan17

[EDIT]: Also, thanks to The Rotoscopers, there is a new poster to hype up the series!

Also... I found some new screengrabs on a Tumblr blog called "The Lion King Posts"... and these are quite... nice! I'm not sure of WHERE these caps came from, but they're probably from the TLG movie.

Also, there is an upcoming book cover that was posted that may or may not be real... but it does question the timeline of Kion's existance, as well as why Kovu may not be in the series.

HANG ON TO YOUR BUTTS

What do you think of THIS sudden development to " The Lion Guard" series? Do you think it is a real thing with the book cover? Does this change/ruin your TLK universe headcanons? Honestly, it gives more fuel to the identity of this "new cub" in this shot here.

Then again, Disney has some new names (and all of the new screenies and teaser trailer) on their "The Lion Guard" site. Apparently, the head hyena from the screen cap above is named Janja, and the two cubs in the above link are Kiara (probably the one closest to Nala) and Tiifu.

Also, a voice actress in the series, Madison Pettis, announced on her Facebook page that she is voicing a character named Zuri. The character's species and overall identity are not currently known, but I'm guessing Zuri is female. I could be wrong though! [EDIT]: According to the Disney Wikia's page for "The Lion Guard", Zuri is a lioness cub, as is Tiifu, the cub mentioned above.

There are a few hyena names too, as well as some personality traits and voice actors. It also mentions some TLG booksthat are scheduled for a 2016 release. I'm not sure exactly on release dates or how exactly accurate this information is though, since it is a Wikia page.

Discuss, my lovelies! (/end edit)

[EDIT #2] 10/17/15: So... NEW TRAILER! Also, Kiara appears!
Thanks to Rotoscopers for their article and trailer!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:13 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

I'm surprised by how DEAD this thread is right now. Also, triple post//BUMP for some new info and clips!

Firstly, a behind-the-scenes video from ABC News with some interesting info about the making and writing for the movie, as well as the upcoming show.
[IMO: I love the fact that there's a lot of Swahili phrases and words that will be used throughout, so it's fun and educational all at once!]

Second, an article on Yahoo! about Rob Lowe being the new voice of Lion King, Simba, as well as a clip with him and Kiara!
[IMO: Honestly, this is the one that may retcon a lot of the beginning of "Simba's Pride", given Kiara's new attitude in comparison to Kion's. But at least we've got interaction with them as siblings, so that's a good thing! Also, Kiara's voice isn't bad... I'd say that Eden Riegel is an improvement from Michelle Horn, but still keeping a bit of sass in her voice. Also, Rob Lowe's Simba is very much the doting dad with double cubs; I honestly like his angry tone here!]

And finally, I think I saved the best for last - a clip from TV Insider with Rafiki and Simba wanting to talk to Kion about his roar. It... it gets really funny at one point. I'm surprised they actually managed to slip that in, but it's a good nod to the original movie!
[IMO: I'm still not into Rafiki's new voice. Robert Guillaume will always be the definitive Rafiki to me, and I'm still surprised they couldn't get him for "The Lion Guard". His replacement, Khary Payton, isn't too bad, just like Rob Lowe isn't bad as Simba, but it'll take some getting used to. At least they have a bit of a similar tone to their original voices, but they manage to make the part their own, which is good! I'm still awaiting to hear Jeff Bennett's Zazu voice - we've only heard him singing as the hornbill in the deleted "Morning Report" song from the first movie, so I'm looking forward to hearing it here!]

=========================

With the days counting down until the US and Canadian release on November 22 [and apparently, Europe will get the movie in April 2016, according to Simba's Pride News, but I'm not sure how true this info is yet!], I hope this will spark some talk and possibilities of what the series may have planned for the characters, storylines, and how it will change or follow the TLK canon [granted what we've seen already, the canon has been destroyed for the most part!].

Let's discuss!

- Juuchan17

[EDIT] Oh silly me, I missed a NEW TRAILER! It's only 30 seconds, but it's got a bit more new stuff we haven't seen yet.
[Sorry it's not a good HD version, but I am looking for one!]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:51 pm 

Get me busy and suddenly out of all the mods and site boosters there's no one else to keep the main site up to date with Lion Guard news...

Kiara seems out of character to me. She was the one that didn't want to be a queen and now she acts so prideful about it. Maybe it's just because of sibling rivarly or I guess it was either before she started doubting or after "We are One" when she changed her mind.

Here's a new one with Rafiki's story and Bunga's song - https://youtu.be/7FhqK8X1oHE
I knew there would be catchprases and songs and it doesn't bother me that much anymore. I'm more interested about Scar's guard. It looks like he had 4 male lions in it. I hope we'll get to learn more about them and how he actually "destroyed" the guard.

And also another trailer- https://youtu.be/o8_0bXBaKY0
I think Tiifu is going to be Kiara's main friend. We can see her at the stampede scene and at the "hakuna matata" thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:13 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Well, after watching [and rewatching] the pilot movie for "The Lion Guard" series, I have to say that the series is on a decent start. [A review is coming, you guys and gals. Very soon!]

Anywho, there are some new stuff to post about:

- Kovu, Vitani and Nuka as guest star characters: I know it's already been mentioned on the site already, but in case you haven't heard the news, the younger Outlanders from TLK2 are going to be on at least one episode of the series! The best thing, in my opinion, is the fact that they got Jason Marsden, Lacey Chabert and Andy Dick to reprise their characters [Kovu, Vitani and Nuka, respectively], though I find it odd that they got the older voice for Kovu to play younger Kovu... [but I'm sure he can pull it off; he's played a young Shere Khan before in the "Jungle Book" prequel series, "Jungle Cubs"] Either way, THE HYPE IS REAL. "The Lion Guard" might not possibly be a complete retcon of TLK2 after all!

- "The Rise of Makuu" available online NOW: Yes, after the "Return of the Roar" movie, the debut episode of the series is already available to watch in full online (on the Watch Disney Junior site or app) or as a FREE downloadable episode on iTunes before its official air date of January 15, 2016. I actually just watched it and... it wasn't bad. Nothing too great, but it was definitely interesting with the first half!

Here's a couple of clips from the episode, in case you're curious: [hopefully they're region-free, unlike the links above; these are available in the US only]

Bunga's got a stinky problem, so Ono sings...? [No, really... on both accounts; apparently every episode will have some sort of musical number... because kid's show.]

Crocodile fight [or a "mashindano" as they call it in the show; not too shabby for a kid's cartoon imo]!

- "Return of the Roar" gets a DVD release: FINALLY. The pilot movie will be released on DVD on February 23, 2016. It's unknown what other features [or episodes] will be included yet.

Since I feel this space needs some filling, have the title sequence and theme song, "Call of the Guard", which definitely is good at setting the mood and feel of a Pridelands adventure... WITHOUT LYRICS [unless you know Swahili chanting]:

- New characters to appear in the series: It's also been announced that more guest characters will be appearing in future episodes. Here's a few that have been mentioned so far - Reirei [voiced by Ana Gasteyer; a jackal that causes trouble in the Pridelands], Makuu [voiced by Blair Underwood; a young crocodile whose leadership actions cause major problems in the debut episode], Ushari [a snake voiced by Christian Slater; it's unknown what his character will do], and Jasiri [voiced by Maia Mitchell; she's apparently a spotted hyena that Kion befriends - this one actually sounds the most interesting to me!]. Also, Basi is the name of Beshte's dad, who is also the leader of the hippos.

- Lots more SWAHILI: So, one of the better things about the series thus far is the integration of more Swahili in the script, whether it be in names, words or just catchphrases in general! Here's a great article from Oh My Disney that interviews Sarah Mirza, a Swahili expert that works with the show. Plus, you'll get to learn the main Lion Guard's go-to Swahili phrases as well!

Also, here's a video featuring most of the phrases in the movie [don't worry, there's no spoilers]:

And for now, that's all I've found out about online! What are you looking most forward to for "The Lion Guard" series?

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:05 am 
Beginner
Beginner

So, a new special has been announced: Rise of Scar.

There's no synopsis yet, but it will most likely be where Scar returns as a ghost. Here are some pictures of TLG merchandise with pictures of Scar on them, and a playset with his head above a volcano:

https://www.disneystore.com/school-supplies-stationery-office-home-decor-the-lion-guard-stationery-supply-kit/mp/1431755/1031508/
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/3/31/Scarleak2.jpeg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/480?cb=20170606233721
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/7/7f/Scarleak4.jpeg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/480?cb=20170606233748
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/1/14/Scarleak1.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20170606233709
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/2/2a/Scarleak3.jpeg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/480?cb=20170606233734
(stationery)

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/0/06/Scarbottle.png/revision/latest?cb=20170606235613
(water bottle)

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/c/c6/Scar-playset.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/633?cb=20170220041741
(playset)

The playset and some of those pictures look quite a lot like this painting that was seen in Return of the Roar: https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/7/70/The-legend-of-scar_%281%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20160517002438

EDIT: There's a synopsis for the episode now. "Kion accidentally summons Scar over a volcano when he uses the Roar of the Elders in anger".

Scar is going to be voiced by David Oyelowo. Here's a another new picture of Scar: https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/lionguard/images/a/a2/Rise-of-scar.png/revision/latest?cb=20170621192357

Totally stand out from the rest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:06 am 

Really looking forward to The Rise of Scar! Kevin Schon, voice actor for Timon, has reportedly stated that season 2 will be darker than season 1 was, so I'm definitely excited for the upcoming season.

Some further news: Rafiki will be taking on an apprentice, Makini. I really love that TLG takes time occasionally for non-Guard characters to get some spotlight, and I'd bet darn near every TLK fan has thought about Rafiki taking someone under his wing. Here she is, for those who don't mind the minor spoiler of what she looks like:

Hidden text : click to show

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Makini looks like she'll be an interesting character. There's now a plush of her, too:

EDIT: Trailer for The Rise of Scar: https://youtu.be/2ulOJWpUjak

Totally stand out from the rest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 pm 

I wish there were more episodes with the Jackals though.

Advertisement