Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TaleSpin fan game.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:34 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Let's face it, the games they made for TaleSpin were horrible.

If you could have a TaleSpin game of your choice, one realistically possible by people who aren't exactly experts in the field, what would you like to see in such a game?

Assuming we could work out a game outline, and assuming those of you who are artistically inclined could produce sprites (Pixel art or pre-rendered 3D models), I would be willing to give it my best shot to produce at least an experimental game for testing various concepts for things you would all like to see.

Multiplayer is possible, but it's tricky to code, hard to set up a testing environment for, and even harder to test without someone to do it with.

Throw me your ideas, sprites, sound effects, quotes, anything, and I'll do my best to make it happen.

I'll probably be using Game Maker 8 for creating prototypes for its ease of use and set of functions specifically suited for producing 2D games.

Post subject: Re: TaleSpin fan game.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

Quote:
Let's face it, the games they made for TaleSpin were horrible.

I wouldn't go that far, but they certainly were less ground breaking than some of the other Disney games from that time (eg : TaleSpin on NES is a very simple shoot'em up not very fondly remembered, while Rescue Rangers is considered as one of the best games on the console) All three TaleSpin games released are unfortunately very bland/average and the series really deserved better.
If some of you didn't check it yet, here's an article I posted on the site : http://www.animationsource.org/talespin ... &nump=1340

Quote:
If you could have a TaleSpin game of your choice, one realistically possible by people who aren't exactly experts in the field, what would you like to see in such a game?

Difficult question! There are so many genres TaleSpin could be adapted to, considering the series was very varied. Why not a mix, then? Adventure/Platform/Shoot'em up or even Point & Click, I would say yes.
For more detailed fans ideas, I would suggest checking this : http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/sh ... cs%3Btitle

Quote:
Assuming we could work out a game outline, and assuming those of you who are artistically inclined could produce sprites (Pixel art or pre-rendered 3D models), I would be willing to give it my best shot to produce at least an experimental game for testing various concepts for things you would all like to see.

That would be AWESOME to see it happens! But there's only a slight problem : most TS fans willing to help are already dedicating their time to the Virtual Season project. In such condition, it seems difficult for such a project to happen.
BUT if some of you are interested in helping, no problem!

I think, for now, that we should discuss the ideas and start shaping up something (maybe making some mock-up screenshots, to see what we would be aiming at?)

Quote:
Multiplayer is possible, but it's tricky to code, hard to set up a testing environment for, and even harder to test without someone to do it with.

Multiplayer seems irrelevant as long as you don't have a single player game based on it. I would also rule out a multiplayer mode for the reasons you stated.

Quote:
I'll probably be using Game Maker 8 for creating prototypes for its ease of use and set of functions specifically suited for producing 2D games.

Good! I have already used Game Maker 8 and know the programming language, so if you need help, just ask!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:34 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Here's an example for a possible top-down shooter.

http://www.mediafire.com/?14blou3oq0t7sma

A, D, Left arrow, Right arrow - Turn the plane left/right
Up & Down arrow - Increase or decrease throttle
W & S - ascend or descend
Spacebar fires.
F4 for full screen toggle (It's 800x600 so might not fit very well)

Bullets inherit your speed and direction, so if you are flying upwards, your bullets will go upwards as well before arcing down and landing.

I'll probably replace the current frame-based rotation with an image_angle rotation, that way I can use framed animation for having airplane banking effects.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:19 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

If the rest of the community is busy with the virtual season I can do the graphics, but I may need someone who has winXP to rip some sound effects and music for me.

I could really use some technical imagery of the airplanes known to be used in talespin so I can make sprites for it. I may even do a few models so that I can shade them and allow them to roll from side to side.

At the very least I need suggestions and feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I take it there's no interest in this then.

Never mind!
/thread

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 am 

Well I certainly AM interested!

Here's what I think :

- Your example is very nice, but...even if a shooter may seem appropriate for TaleSpin, I'm not so sure about it. At least, not a full game. Remember that the Sea Duck doesn't have weapons (which is one of the things that bugs me with the Nes version) : the series was smarter than that; if we're looking to really make a TaleSpin game, and not just a basic shoot em up, we need to be smarter, more original!

- I would suggest adding an adventure side to the game. Maybe characters talking (a-la Starfox). Also we would need a story.

- Eclipse has made a CGI version of the Sea Duck, so if you're looking for graphics of the plane(s), you should probably ask him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have a few ideas for the top down shooter part:

The Sea Duck, of course, wouldn't have guns (I just had those on the test game to show how they work).
When you start off at Higher for Hire, you can plot your course to the cargo routes you're going to be taking, certain shortcuts could be hazardous, but huge time savers, others might be prone to special benefits of some sort. You basically set waypoints for yourself, but you *can* divert if you run into air pirates or something, and perhaps try to lose them in a nearby mountain range.

I could use some other ideas... perhaps a cargo loading minigame similar to tetris?

Not sure what to do for other modes, maybe some sort of free roam when you land at a location, an isometric view would be nice, but harder to make the graphics for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm 

These are good ideas, but told like this, it seems repetitive. Again, I'm for some story / adventure added into this. At least some "missions" or objectives to complete.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:43 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Storyline will definably be part of it, it would, as you said, be very repetitive without it.
Baloo's job may have been repetitive and boring most of the time (The passage of time between episodes), but I wouldn't dare subject the players to do only that :lol:

What do you think would be some good long term/short term goals and accomplishments to have in the game? Things to keep it fresh, and keep the game fun even after the story is done with?

Also... I have no idea how I'm going to do sprite work for a game like this, especially if I'm going to have an isometric bit where you can walk around on the docks and interact with characters or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:55 pm 

Quote:
What do you think would be some good long term/short term goals and accomplishments to have in the game? Things to keep it fresh, and keep the game fun even after the story is done with?

Allow me some time to think and post something.

Quote:
Also... I have no idea how I'm going to do sprite work for a game like this, especially if I'm going to have an isometric bit where you can walk around on the docks and interact with characters or something.

Why not doing that part as a "point & click"? That's the easiest to do (especially if you do it "first person view", ie still screens and no main-character animation)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'll probably play around with a few ideas, and you're right about the first person point and click, that might be a more realistic path to take on things.

Any ideas you can think of are very helpful, because I do want to stay true to the series as much as possible, but still have it fun.

Should I be trying to fit game play elements into the series, or series elements into the game like the others did?
The fans might enjoy the first option, but people who don't even remember or saw the series at all may dislike it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Wow, i forgot about that topic!
But looks like i didn't totally forget it, because Weylin & Steet, i am doing exactly what both of you suggested : a Game Maker 8.1 2D game with some action levels and first person view adventure mode ^^

I'm currently working on programming the shootem'up mode, and i have already done some drawings for the Sea Duck, here's the current thing : (with temporary graphics obviously!)