Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Should "Frozen" get a sequel? [possible plot spoilers]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Okay, so Disney's icy musical about true love coming in many forms has become a worldwide hit. What next?

Here's my question for you "Frozen" fans: Should Disney make a full-length sequel to "Frozen"?

My personal answer would be... No. I mean, it's not because I didn't like it - I wouldn't have seen it in theaters three times and bought the combo pack release on day one otherwise - but I feel that the movie is good enough as it is, unanswered questions and all. Besides, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing; the LBT series can relate to that [it got WAY too much - 12 sequels, a TV series, and crappy video games].

But Juuchan, there's so many things that we want answers for! Like:

- How did Elsa get her powers, since she was born with them?
    - Does Anna actually have hidden power too?
    - Will Elsa get a boyfriend to become her king?
    - What happened to the other characters that we don't really give two hoots about?
    - Troll origins: how did they exist, come to have magic, know about these strange powers like what Elsa has, etc.
    - Do others [or DID others] have powers like Elsa's at one time or another? Do they still exist somewhere in Arendelle?
    - Kristoff and Sven: how did they meet, become friends, how was their life with the trolls, etc.
    - What next for Anna, for Elsa, for Olaf [ooh, more snowman singing adventures with warm hugs?], for Hans?

...And yeah, I'd like answers for those too. However, I feel that to expand the Arendelle universe with a second movie is going too far. That's what fans are for. XD Besides, Disney has their magical hands full with their other upcoming releases and probably another Tinkerbell movie.

So, what do you think? Should "Frozen" get a sequel? What would you think it should be about if Disney made one, or why do you think the movie doesn't need a continuation? Let's discuss!

- Juuchan17

Post subject: Re: Should "Frozen" get a sequel? [possible plot spoilers]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:49 am 
Famous one
Famous one

"Should" Disney make a sequel- I'm apathetic. I'm perfectly fine with one film though if a sequel came along I would be happy to go see it.

"Will" Disney make a sequel- It's extremely possible. This movie made so much revenue in such a short amount of time that if they made a sequel they will probably be met with another large amount of success.
Heck, even the Frozen stage musical being made will most likely be successful. I know that I'm excited about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:37 pm 
Living here
Living here

I'm rather indifferent myself, but I would love to see I giant fight scene with Elsa protecting her kingdom with them awesome snow and ice powers. ...which I would also love to know how she got. I know the movie mentioned she was born with them but. What. How.

the trolls were also very random (where do they come from? How/why do they exist?) but whatever I don't really care about that.

.: sig is mine | avie is mine :.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

Disney is definitely wanting to milk the cash cow that is Frozen. They've already delivered Frozen: On Ice (redundancy much, redundancy?) and they're taking their time to bring the film to Broadway. Aladdin was their first Broadway musical in a long time, and it's a great start to ease people back into Disney Broadway. Considering this movie's history and comparing it to it's success, Jennifer Lee being Disney's first female director and also the director of Disney's highest grossing film of all time, the popularity of the princesses at the theme parks, and the constant demand for merchandise, Disney would be a fool to make a sequel that wasn't just as good or surpasses Frozen itself.

I have my own ideas for a Frozen sequel, which I won't share here, but this is a list of things that I would like to see that are a realistic goal for our Disney movies.

- Slice-of-life scenes with Elsa and Anna
- A happy duet between Elsa and Anna
- Sisters on a quest to discover the roots of Elsa's magic (seeing a pattern here? More Elsa and Anna please)
- Another female addition to the cast (possibly to pay homage to the Robber Girl from the original story) with a personality to contrast Elsa and Anna.
- Said female addition there to help present the world with Disney's first openly gay character (namely Elsa)

Things I would not like to see.

- Focus on Kristoff and Anna (particularly marriage)
- Hans' revenge
- Extra Olaf (love you, Olaf, but you're not a show-stealer by any means)
- Elsa and Anna getting into petty arguments
- Elsa gets a male love interest and breaks the wonderful mold for a princess that Disney has created (that Disney princesses do not need a prince to complete them)

Last edited by angryunicorn on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:09 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Paxis wrote:
"Should" Disney make a sequel- I'm apathetic. I'm perfectly fine with one film though if a sequel came along I would be happy to go see it.

"Will" Disney make a sequel- It's extremely possible. This movie made so much revenue in such a short amount of time that if they made a sequel they will probably be met with another large amount of success.
Heck, even the Frozen stage musical being made will most likely be successful. I know that I'm excited about it.

Common sense when it comes to animated sequels that get released to theaters lately... is that they usually do make a profit. Since this is also Disney, I agree that a theatrical release for a Frozen sequel would be met with high profit. Even on DVD/Bluray [aka DTV], I'm sure it'd be welcomed.

Also, Frozen musical... YES. I'm guessing they might add some new things or alter the story a smidge, almost like when they did "The Little Mermaid". It's bound to be a success on Broadway.

Roiffalo wrote:
I'm rather indifferent myself, but I would love to see I giant fight scene with Elsa protecting her kingdom with them awesome snow and ice powers. ...which I would also love to know how she got. I know the movie mentioned she was born with them but. What. How.

the trolls were also very random (where do they come from? How/why do they exist?) but whatever I don't really care about that.

Oh my... YES! A fight scene would be awesome to see, especially since she is the Queen of Arendelle and all that. Maybe she'll give the Avengers and any Japanese magical girls a run for their money with her show of power. I now want this to happen.

No one really cares about the Troll-Rocks. NO ONE... but maybe Kristoff.

angryunicorn wrote:
I have my own ideas for a Frozen sequel, which I won't share here, but this is a list of things that I would like to see that are a realistic goal for our Disney movies.

- Sisters on a quest to discover the roots of Elsa's magic (seeing a pattern here? More Elsa and Anna please)
- Another female addition to the cast (possibly to pay homage to the Robber Girl from the original story) with a personality to contrast Elsa and Anna.
- Said female addition there to help present the world with Disney's first openly gay character (namely Elsa)

I like some of these ideas, especially the addition of the Robber Girl [I love the original story, so it'd be great to see Disney truly return to the tale's roots] and the quest to learn of the roots of Elsa's magic. I agree that if a sequel is made, I definitely must keep Elsa and Anna as the main focus. I don't mind Kristoff, Sven and Olaf so much, but make the royals the mains.

I'll admit... the openly gay thing is something that people and fans feel Elsa is, but I doubt Disney would admit if she is or not. Not that I'm a homophobic person or anything like that [which I'm not], but I think some other movies may have beaten her to the punch [Timon and Pumbaa, anyone? There's probably others, but that's a different topic altogether].

Quote:

- Hans' revenge
- Elsa gets a male love interest and breaks the wonderful mold for a princess that Disney has created (that Disney princesses do not need a prince to complete them)

These are all typical sequel plots that I could see Disney doing... IF this was the time when they were all about DTV sequels. Hopefully none of these happen, but I think the "Hans' revenge" thing would be difficult to pull off after trying to kill both sisters and all.

Keep those ideas and responses coming! Let's keep this topic going strong! Also, off-topic a bit - post #1600 for me!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:37 pm 

Juuchan17 wrote:
angryunicorn wrote:

I like some of these ideas, especially the addition of the Robber Girl [I love the original story, so it'd be great to see Disney truly return to the tale's roots] and the quest to learn of the roots of Elsa's magic. I agree that if a sequel is made, I definitely must keep Elsa and Anna as the main focus. I don't mind Kristoff, Sven and Olaf so much, but make the royals the mains.

I'll admit... the openly gay thing is something that people and fans feel Elsa is, but I doubt Disney would admit if she is or not. Not that I'm a homophobic person or anything like that [which I'm not], but I think some other movies may have beaten her to the punch [Timon and Pumbaa, anyone? There's probably others, but that's a different topic altogether].

Quote:

- Hans' revenge

These are all typical sequel plots that I could see Disney doing... IF this was the time when they were all about DTV sequels. Hopefully none of these happen, but I think the "Hans' revenge" thing would be difficult to pull off after trying to kill both sisters and all.

Keep those ideas and responses coming! Let's keep this topic going strong! Also, off-topic a bit - post #1600 for me!

- Juuchan17

Fine, the first openly ****** character xD But no, no other movies have beaten them to the punch in that. At least none that are just "side characters that no one really cares about". And it actually was mentioned by Jennifer Lee in a Scriptnotes Podcast, that while it wasn't a very conscious decision made by the entire team, it is something that she's noticed being praised, and she is actually a supporter of it (if her frequent "likes" of any comments about Elsa's orientation are anything to go by.)

It's been discussed that Elsa relates to us as a whole, since we're the largest group of people in the country that is still hiding who we are for the sake of everyone but ourselves. She has definitely hit a chord with the gay community, especially since Disney is a gay-supporting company, so really it's a matter of "when" they're gonna have a gay character as opposed to "if". Disney's not the same company as it was during those horrid sequel days.

So I trust them to be making better decisions in the long run (they certainly made better decisions when it came to Big Hero 6, making it an interracial team instead of all Japanese). But I definitely prefer new characters to returning ones who've been sent away from Arendelle. The Robber Girl being my favorite candidate because she was the leader of an entire gang of bandits. How freaking compelling is that? That's a movie on its own LOL We've seen Elsa at the end of the movie reconnect with her kingdom, but what about finding someone "like her"? How would she react to that exactly?

While its interesting to find out where her powers came from, it ultimately does not matter. There's no point in creating complicated lore in a character-driven movie, because then it just brings up more questions. She was born that way, and that's all we need to know, really. But I think that learning that she's not the only one (alongside someone who ISN'T evil, preferably) will expand on Elsa's character.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:06 am 
Living here
Living here

How have I not posted in here yet? lol

Anyway, here are my thoughts on this. Frozen is one of my favorite films now, and honestly, it's one of the best Disney has put out there since The Lion King - if not THE best. It's also a cash cow; it's STILL making money from its theatrical release, and now it's the 5th highest-grossing film OF ALL TIME. It has grossed over $1.2 billion and continues to earn money every week in foreign markets. And that's just its theatrical release; since its release, it's earned about that much AGAIN in merchandise sales (Disney can barely keep up with demand, and that's a good thing). And that's just merchandise; DVD, Blu-ray and digital downloads are a COMPLETELY separate category entirely, as is its soundtrack. Needless to say, Frozen is earning money in every way possible. So Disney would be a fool to NOT make a sequel; from the monetary standpoint alone, there is no way they can lose.

But here's where things get iffy. The company has a history of not making sequels, and when they do, it's either direct-to-video or, EXTREMELY rarely, a theatrical release. None of the theatrical sequels have matched their original counterparts in terms of quality or lovability.

That being said, this is an era in film where everything is a franchise. Many times, the sequels are just as good or better than the originals (looking at Toy Story, for example). If it's doable now, I say Disney can go ahead with it. I LOVE the Frozen universe, and I'd love to see more of it.

But so far, here's what we know for sure: virtually everyone who was involved in the making of Frozen (from the directors and producers, to actors and animators) have said they are all for a sequel - but here's the kicker. They're for a sequel ONLY if they can be sure it matches the original. They're not viewing Frozen as another Transformers, where it's only there to make money and nothing else matters. Disney upholds its artist integrity, and if they can't come up with a good enough story, they just won't make a movie. You've gotta respect them for that.

-------

As for what I'd like to see in a sequel, Cat pretty much summed up what I DON'T want to see. No return of Hans; his story has expired, however good it was. NO love interest for Elsa. NO wedding for Anna and Kristoff. NO Olaf being the main character (or else you'll end up with Kronk's New Groove).

What I'd personally love to see: more interaction between Anna and Elsa. We didn't get to see them together enough in the first film (albeit, Elsa only appeared for about 25 minutes total), and they have a real deep connection I'd love to see explored. I'm also for the happy duet Cat mentioned - but I'm sure most Frozen fans would love that. I'd love the sequel to be another musical, with the original song writers returning. As for a villain, I DON'T want to see something cliche, like someone else with magical powers (either fire OR ice powers. No, just no.) In fact, I don't know if I'd like to see a real-life villain at all. Perhaps the villain would be an ideal or something, like the fear of the unknown. Perhaps Elsa's mind falls under a spell. Honestly, as far as the villain goes, I don't know what I would like, but I trust Disney to come up with something very satisfying.

Flashbacks to the two girls' childhood would be nice, but if it hurts the story, I'd be okay with not seeing that. So long as there's plenty of interaction between them throughout the film, that's basically all I ask for (along with a good story, of course). And I think that about sums it up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:50 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Check out this news story that applies to this topic:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Frozen-2 ... 66686.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:16 pm 

Paxis wrote:
Check out this news story that applies to this topic:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Frozen-2 ... 66686.html

I saw that news on Tumblr yesterday, here's a link to the first chapter

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/book ... /13628761/

I'm really looking forward to Anna's Missing Memories. I already pre-ordered both books and I'm excited to read them.

We are still getting a sequel, but people wanting to be involved are wanting to make the perfect story for it instead of just rushing into things. It's exactly what the fans want.

And who knows, maybe these books will provide some great sequel-worthy material.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:59 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Dear God no. lol And the idea that anyone could call Frozen "the best that Disney's ever done" is a cut against all the truly great works of Disney's golden age. Compared with the great works of the 40s and 50s that they did, Frozen is a pale shadow at the very best. The CGI work is clunky and cartoonish (and not in a good way)...I've seen better CGI work before, and the story is weak compared with many of Disney's truly great works.

Ugh...I dearly hope they don't saddle us (including parents and relatives of toddlers and young children, who had to endure more than a year of painful renditions of "Let It Go") with yet ANOTHER Frozen movie.

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:13 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but Frozen 2 is official. I'm not any more happier with it then you guys are: in fact, I'm horrified. Seriously Disney? They ruin EVERYTHING with sequels. The worst sequel I've seen with them was Mulan 2. As for Dreamworks, HTTYD 2 was as good as the first one, if not, even better. Hopefully the rumors I have heard aren't true about a Frozen 2, but they seemed to be official. I'll try not to judge just yet though/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:33 pm 
Supervisor
Supervisor

I just saw this link posted in the shoutbox: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/disne ... 201451480/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:45 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Given the amount of money they made on the first one, and the craze that went on with all these scatterbrained fans (and young children singing "Let It Go" to the point of driving their older relatives insane, lol), it's hardly surprising. So they'll sequel this particular thing right into the ground. And that's fine by me.

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:23 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Okay, so we all know... "Frozen 2" is apparently a thing that will happen, thanks to the announcement that Disney recently made all little girls [and some boys too] squee with glee and most adults cringe if they even hear the chorus of "Let It Go" mentioned one more dang time.

So... it's happening. Now after "Frozen Fever" [which as of right now, I haven't seen yet... so no spoilers please!], I wonder what is left to tell that could actually work as a movie rather than another book release. Honestly, I would prefer more of the books like the "Anna & Elsa" series than a sequel still... but I think I'll still give this a chance if the story has the continuity and builds up more of the world that the Frozen-verse is.

All I know for sure is that Disney has froze that cash cow and is milking it for everything it's got.

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:36 am 

I won't mind a sequel.