Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Official written continuation for "Frozen - coming in 20
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:02 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

I just received my digital copy of Phantoms of Arendelle last night! I read it all of course. I thought it was going to be a picture book like A New Reindeer Friend, but to my surprise it wasn't! It was a nice little novel. And the best part is, Elsa and Anna are in character, Olaf is once again relevant to the story in a really clever way, AND there's a brief look into their history!

The story was simple but well-written. It gave me feels, and it actually made me laugh as I read it. I had a lot of fun reading it. Definitely a BUY if you guys are curious.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:15 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

angryunicorn wrote:
I just received my digital copy of Phantoms of Arendelle last night! I read it all of course. I thought it was going to be a picture book like A New Reindeer Friend, but to my surprise it wasn't! It was a nice little novel. And the best part is, Elsa and Anna are in character, Olaf is once again relevant to the story in a really clever way, AND there's a brief look into their history!

The story was simple but well-written. It gave me feels, and it actually made me laugh as I read it. I had a lot of fun reading it. Definitely a BUY if you guys are curious.

Hurray for Disney - you're doing sequel continuations right for once! [Because using ret-cons instead of just using the source material straight to actually continue is LAME and LAZY]

I really want to see if I can get my hands on a copy of this, or at least read it somehow. It sounds like a fun adventure, and simple stories seem to be the best fit for the Frozen-verse, in my opinion. At least that way anyone can read it and understand what it's trying to show. Thanks for the review and recommendation!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:09 pm 

Here’s some of my favorite parts of the story if you still need convincing. These parts reveal little tidbits about the characters that I loved too. These aren’t the cutest parts in the book, by far. I tried not to make it spoiler-y, but there are some minor spoilers.

Chapter 1:

Anna did a lot of reading while growing up.

Anna thinking about Elsa’s well-being. Always makes me feel good inside.

A noteworthy favorite story of Anna’s. And Spy Pig.

Chapter 2:

Elsa having a rare moment of clumsiness.

Chapter 3:

Anna being adorably eager, and Elsa commenting on their time apart. Also would that make it a sexuple fudge subdae?

Chapter 4:

Sharing the same bed at an inn~

Elsa initiating play.

Chapter 7:

Elsa having another moment.

Elsa being a little ******.

Chapter 13:

It’s canon: Anna knows how to pick locks. No doubt a skill she picked up while trying to get into Elsa’s room.

Chapter 15:

Comments on their childhood. (I shared Anna’s desire to chew on books.)

Elsa and Anna after being feelsy and cute.

Chapter 17:

Funny banter.

Chapter 19:

Elsa being a little ****** some more.

Chapter 23:

Elsa just gives up on life.

Chapter 24:

I can’t with these two.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:47 am 
Living here
Living here

I had no idea they would be making a continuation of the Frozen movie. I will definitely buy the books when I get the chance. Thanks AngryUnicorn for the little snips from the book. It really looks well-written. Definitely on my book list!

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 pm 

HermioneGranger wrote:
I had no idea they would be making a continuation of the Frozen movie. I will definitely buy the books when I get the chance. Thanks AngryUnicorn for the little snips from the book. It really looks well-written. Definitely on my book list!

It is very well-written! It's still for kids of course, so its simple. But they certainly treat its intended audience with respect, using words they probably haven't heard before. Unfortunately at the moment its only available for Kindle, but there are apps you can download on your phone or iPad or computer that allows you to read things only released for Kindle. The apps are free and the stories are cheap, so some people prefer it. I'm sure that if its popular enough, they'll release it in book format.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:13 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Book Update - 11/4/14

OH SNOOOOOOOOOOOOW, a new "Anna and Elsa" title has dropped!

According to Random House, Erica David's new "Anna and Elsa adventure - the 5th book in the series so far - will be entitled "The Polar Bear Piper" and is slated for bookstores on July 28, 2015. There isn't any cover artwork for any of the books following #2's "Memory and Magic" yet, but I'll be sure to let you see it here ASAP!

Here's the summary from the site:
Quote:
Princess Anna, Queen Elsa, Olaf the snowman, and all the stars from Disney Frozen are back in an all-new magical chapter book series perfect for girls ages 6 to 9.

Even though Arendelle is a cold, snowy place, polar bears are still a very rare sight--until now! A family of polar bears has appeared on the outskirts of town and have started to cause mischief. Olaf loves the bears, but Elsa and Anna need to find out why they have suddenly appeared--and how to get them back to their Arctic home!

I'm not sure what to think of this summary, but it sounds like "The Snow Queen" meets "The Pied Piper of Hamelin" to me... but with BEARS. Also, I hope the cover for this has some cute antics with Olaf and a polar bear cub [now I want to see Olaf with Muk and Luk from the "Balto" series. Someone draw this... like NOW. Please?] because that would just be ADORBS.

What do you guys and gals think of this new book summary? Will you read it when it comes out? What do you think the story will do, based on the characters' personalities? Let's discuss!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:06 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Double/triple posting, whatever - Have a pre-Christmas holiday update!

12/18/14 - We have a cover for "Anna and Elsa #3"! Thank you,Random House, for this!

It's unknown if it's the official one [it probably is, since it doesn't say "tentative cover"], but I've got to say it is visually appealing. I like the fact that it doesn't look wintery [save for Olaf and his snow flurry], but I will admit... the lack of this new "Summer Queen" is a disappointment. I was hoping she'd be on here, given that the book is about her plight with her own kingdom [a reverse-"Frozen", you could say?], but I suppose that does make me MORE hyped for the book's release so that we [and the two sisters] can finally see what she looks like [and what her name is too!].

Although... if she has a younger sister that is basically Anna but in her "eternal summer" dilemma, I'm out. XD

What do you guys think of the new cover? What do you like and/or dislike about it?

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:11 am 

I was hoping that they'd feature the new Queen on the cover! I'm sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 am 
Famous one
Famous one

angryunicorn wrote:
I was hoping that they'd feature the new Queen on the cover! I'm sad.

Yeah, me too. I'm hoping it's not a fake out or something... but as someone that has read both of the first books in the series, it shouldn't be one.

Oh, yeah... By the way, the first two books are out! They're both lovely hardcover books with a nice shine effect for the background, in order to make Anna and Elsa pop out well. Story-wise (without spoilers obviously!), they are still written for little kids but easy enough for most teens and adults to enjoy. I was able to get through both books in a matter of a couple of hours, so it's good for an afternoon read if you're a fan. Also, there are callbacks and references EVERYWHERE. I personally preferred "Memory and Magic" over "All Hail the Queen", but I did like both books as enjoyable reads.

Expect a review real soon!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 pm 

I know Frozen is the hot ticket right now, but I wonder if Disney will do this for any of their other projects? There are so many possibilities with Tangled or Little Mermaid or even Peter Pan... Come on there's got to be many adventures in Wonderland that weren't covered.

Think I'm gonna rewatch Alice in Wonderland tonight while the #vod thing is happening! #disneymovies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:29 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

SunnyMistyCat wrote:
I know Frozen is the hot ticket right now, but I wonder if Disney will do this for any of their other projects? There are so many possibilities with Tangled or Little Mermaid or even Peter Pan... Come on there's got to be many adventures in Wonderland that weren't covered.

I know that there have been some side-story books written for a few other Disney series, like The Little Mermaid and Brave. They're mostly youth chapter books, but they're either picture books or chapter books similar to the "Anna and Elsa" series. I know that some popular movies did get picture book continuations (Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and The Lion King come to mind; the TLK set is probably the more famous one, known as the "Six New Adventures" series that introduces Kopa as Simba's firstborn cub).

Anywho, there is some good news! Another book title and summary has been revealed: Anna and Elsa" #6 - The Arendelle Cup!

EDIT - 2/8/15: So here's the details for book number 6 - "The Arendelle Cup": It's time for the Arendelle Cup--an annual 150-mile sleigh race. People come from far and wide to compete, and this year, to celebrate the castle gates finally being open, Anna and Elsa are going to represent Arendelle themselves!

Sounds like a good old racing story, probably with Sven as their racer and Kristoff maybe helping with driving? Olaf would be the coolest cheerleader, of course. This sounds like it would be dangerous but a fun story for royals to be involved in.

Also, the first 4 books will be released in a box set for $39.96 on September 8th [same day as "The Arendelle Cup"], and a set of the currently listed 6 books is scheduled to be released a month later on October 27th for $59.94. It's unknown whether the box sets will contain any special edition extras, but unless you're newly getting into the series by the end of October 2015, there's probably no need to buy the box set releases.

What do you think about the plot for the 6th book? Do you plan on buying either of the box sets, or are you sticking to buying the books when they release [or pre-ordering them via Amazon/your local bookstores/etc]?

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:33 am 
Famous one
Famous one

UPDATE - 2/28/15

It's a little over a week left until "A Warm Welcome" arrives in bookstores and less than two weeks until "Frozen Fever" premieres before the new live-action "Cinderella" movie... and now we have a brand-new cover for "Anna & Elsa" #4: The Great Ice Engine!

Image [Image from Random House's website, where I get a lot of this info from!]

Well, I see the return of Oaken on the cover, which is interesting... and I guess that thing in front of him is the "ice engine" in the title? Also, the lack of Elsa on the cover worries me, despite her name being in the series. I don't mind the inclusion of Kristoff with Anna, thanks to their well-done chemistry in "Memory and Magic" [which I enjoyed much more than I think I should have...? It was the better of the first two books, hands down, though!], so I'm sure he's got a good reason to be a part of the plot in this book. It IS focused on something he's passionate about - ice - so I'm hoping he gets to be a focal part for once, though I'm honestly not a fan of him.

Also, I noticed that the summary for the book hasn't changed from its original blurb, so maybe the "engine" is the catalyst to their adventure in some strange way? I dunno... but it looks like we've got until May to find out!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:01 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Another new cover is out, thanks to Amazon!

We finally have a cover for "The Polar Bear Piper", and it is honestly adorable! The book is scheduled to be released on July 28.

Hopefully I'll have a few things to say about the "Great Ice Engine" book when I get my copy later this week!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:47 pm 

Quite beautiful covers, I must say :)

You should post add a page about these on the site!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:34 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

steet wrote:
Quite beautiful covers, I must say :)

You should post add a page about these on the site!

I definitely plan to add them when I get the chance. Plus, I've just started reading the newest "Anna & Elsa" book, and so far... it's nothing to shake a stick at, especially now that there's a good summary to go with the title & cover.

Speaking of titles and covers... Disney Publishing Worldwide has recently announced a new book in the "Frozen" series called "A Frozen Heart". It seems to be about exactly what I'd expect it to be, focusing on the "relationship" of Princess Anna and Prince Hans. Very interesting... I can't deny the fact that I'm intrigued already!

Here's the very gorgeous cover:

Here's the info from Disney Publishing:
Quote:
Author: Elizabeth Rudnick
Series: Frozen

Summary: Told in alternating chapters from both Anna’s and Hans’ perspectives, A Frozen Heart takes a sophisticated look at events of Frozen, exploring the couple’s backstories, motivations, and doomed relationship.

Expect this one to debut later this year in October [Oct. 13, 2015], but if you can't wait for this 304 page book, Disney Publishing's website has an excerpt available as a sneak peek - HERE!

First Thoughts: I really think this is a story that begs to be revealed, especially for Hans, who I feel was given the shaft during the movie [only to turn evil for the sake of the plot needing a villain]. If the whole story was about him, I'd be happy [though I'm biased - he's honestly my favorite character in the film... other than Elsa], but I'm curious to see how Mrs. Rudnick ties his and Anna's stories together in this format.

I'm glad that this is going to be a longer book, like almost a decent novel-sized read, unlike the "Anna & Elsa" series, and based on the excerpt, the writing is more for like 10 and up, so adults could read this and not feel like the plot or writing style is dumbed-down for kids.

Also, that cover...! It is amazing how this franchise can make such beautiful covers for their books, and even better is that mostly all of the novels [novelizations and the "Anna & Elsa" series included] are all hardcover. I have a feeling that the final cover will have some sort of sparkly foil effect to it, just to make it look more epic than it already is. The design is very significant since the focus is on Anna and Hans, so to have them dancing on the bridge and making the "hand-heart" around the moon [all from the "Love is an Open Door" song sequence] is just perfection. The hype is real....OMG, I can't wait for this one now!

EDIT: [5/18] I just read the excerpt, and... WOW. I honestly love the details. There's some familiar things and a lot of new ones, so it's not going to disappoint. Also, there are loads of new names [such as some of Hans' brothers, Anna & Elsa's father... to name a few] and some nice little details that connect well with the original film's story [mainly the first 15 minutes of it]. I'm not an Anna fan, but it really makes you feel more sorry for her... but again, I feel most sorry for Hans and his lot on life. Seriously, if you haven't checked out the excerpt, read it now! It's a nice sized piece too - about four chapters worth - so it's a great way to whet your appetite for this upcoming book!

Also, I learned that Elizabeth Rudnick also pinned the Olaf and Sven side-adventure eBook, "Olaf and Sven On Thin Ice", which was published last year. I haven't read that one yet, but based on the excerpt, she's a great writer for this series.

So, what do you guys and gals think about this new book? Did the excerpt make you change your mind on your initial thoughts of this novel? What would you like to see the "Frozen" books tackle next [other than the "Frozen Fever" short, which I have yet to see or read]?

- Juuchan17