Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Official Characters Art Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I thought I'd start an art thread where we can place all of our 'official' character art. I am trying to re-familiarize myself with these characters through sketching them using both the comics and cartoons as reference. Anyways, this would be a good place to submit all your practice sketches and etc... Also, please feel free to critique any art submitted to this thread. :D

Post subject: Re: Official Characters Art Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 am 
Beginner
Beginner

That's veery good! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:03 am 
Animation Source is my home!
Animation Source is my home!

:shock: Wow! This TOTALLY looks like official art!!! Are you a Disney animator or what? :mrgreen:
And I like very much the way you made the characters "in situation".
I think you and Opus are easily the best artists we currently have. Awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Syrena wrote:
I thought I'd start an art thread where we can place all of our 'official' character art. I am trying to re-familiarize myself with these characters through sketching them using both the comics and cartoons as reference. Anyways, this would be a good place to submit all your practice sketches and etc... Also, please feel free to critique any art submitted to this thread. :D

Wow, it seems that I've lost a lot for not being as a regular as before.

What can I say about the art, well is simply breathtaking. There are mistakes in volume here and there , but like you said before you are just getting use back to drawing the characters. I dont know, but I hope you own a Graphics tablet. August will be a better month for me to begin on the project again, since everything on my side seems to be brighten by the sun again. I also can see that the art Team has gwown since I left, and how much! I have several animation tools that can be of use like after effects, premiere both of these CS5, and also toon boon storyboard pro and animation pro on my hands. I want to give them proper use since its been a long time. I'm willing to share the software, but why going to much ahead into animation just yet when we can work on conceptual art on storboard pro, or alike. the consistency of the characters is a must, specially when we are working on the same episode and as a result more practice is needed.

Conctric is something I love even for my art. It kinda makes touch base since we are all non-pros and even if we were to be human is to err. sometimes we dont see our own mistakes and as concecuance we need some one else eyes to tell us. I'd like to get in contact with every artist out there who is participating on this project . please send me a note guys and how an you be reach online , where are you from schedule time and what is it you are expecting from a project thie big and important. I'd love to have a little chat with evey single one of the artist team, and also with the writter team , because I have to touch base on this project. Its been a while so I need to know where are we standing.

about the content, well, I'd love to see your construction methods sincewe are going to be needing model sheets, and not the disney official ones, but our own. In order for most of us to come with the result almost alike that is a must.

Regarding backgrounds. well, i'm gettong all the magazines from 2d at and I'm going to re learn the principles of BG AND matte painting for those are sure going to be needed for nice scenery if we ever going to do a scene or 2 of fully animated work.

now, on to the con crit...

Rebecca seems pretty good on model, but seems inconsistent. I know you base your art on comics have have you ever tried to do your own positions guiding yourself on those models at hand from those comics. That will give you more freedom and sometimes avoid you to copy the artist who drew the comics made and there are plenty. I'm sure you noticed them. for istance. the full standing image of Becky seems a little over weight . also a few pages of hands and feet will help us all. we can draw pages of different parts of the body for the main characters , different hair styles and so on to get use to. after that it should become second naturealso when sketching it is always better to enphasise on the eyes mouth and hands, they say a lot more than ebeything alse . keep the lines thin on everything else

Ballo looks a lot better, but unfortunatelly in that full pic of him his frame is all oover the place. he does not seem to follow a pattern while running. he has an bones underneat and because of that you have to be carefull how to draw him to avoid making him like his arns are or hands are coming out of their suckets. No offence in this concrit, please take it as that. If you knew how much concrit I also received you will be for sure sirprised, but instead of being affected I consider my self a lucky one since I get to learn from my mistakes.

*Note . to all involve into the art and wrtting parts plase send me a note about your art page, way of contact. something like Skype , yahoo or MSN. Cause I'm comming back into the project on August 1st 201O...

I drew two modelsheets before going away from the project. this is one. I did a turn about of Molly and the hands and feet, and planning to do more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thanks Archip!

steet wrote:
:shock: Wow! This TOTALLY looks like official art!!! Are you a Disney animator or what? :mrgreen:
And I like very much the way you made the characters "in situation".
I think you and Opus are easily the best artists we currently have. Awesome!

No, no Disney Animator here, but thanks. :D It's usually hard for me to draw characters 'in situation' so the more practice I get the better... Anyways, thanks for the kind words!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wow, it seems that I've lost a lot for not being as a regular as before.

>What can I say about the art, well is simply breathtaking.

Wow, thanks!

>There are mistakes in volume here and there , but like you said before you are just getting use back to drawing the characters.

Yup, I agree. And yeah, I'm trying to draw them as close to 'on model' as possible (not easy though...).

>I dont know, but I hope you own a Graphics tablet. August will be a better month for me to begin on the project again, since everything on my side seems to be brighten by the sun again.

Oh, I'm really glad to hear that. August isn't too far away either!

>now, on to the con crit...
Rebecca seems pretty good on model, but seems inconsistent. I know you base your art on comics have have you ever tried to do your own positions guiding yourself on those models at hand from those comics. That will give you more freedom and sometimes avoid you to copy the artist who drew the comics made and there are plenty. I'm sure you noticed them.

Oh sure, and the comic I have is drawn by about five different artists. You can see the (very slight) change in style from artist to artist.

>for istance. the full standing image of Becky seems a little over weight.

Do her legs look too short to you? I think they might, though I'm not certain...

>Ballo looks a lot better, but unfortunatelly in that full pic of him his frame is all oover the place. he does not seem to follow a pattern while running.

Are those animator terms? I must admit I am not an animator. I know his hand is wonky (the one on the left especially).

>he has an bones underneat and because of that you have to be carefull how to draw him to avoid making him like his arns are or hands are coming out of their suckets. No offence in this concrit, please take it as that. If you knew how much concrit I also received you will be for sure sirprised, but instead of being affected I consider my self a lucky one since I get to learn from my mistakes.

No offense taken! My anatomy is lousy now so I know that will be showing up in my art. I am really out of practice.

I drew two modelsheets before going away from the project. this is one. I did a turn about of Molly and the hands and feet, and planning to do more.[/quote]

I saw those when I first came on board. It's good stuff! Thanks for the critique! I always appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:49 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

@Syrena: Yeah, there's a few tiny goofs, but overall, they look amazing! :D Especially to be practice drawings!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:59 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

0x7B wrote:
@Syrena: Yeah, there's a few tiny goofs, but overall, they look amazing! :D Especially to be practice drawings!

Just wait, I have more goofs on the way! LOL (Seriously, I am very much out of practice right now, especially with anatomy. I went for about five years without drawing. PM me if you want the long boring story). And thanks, I'm glad you like 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:38 pm 
Young pup

these drawings are absolutely fantastic! i for one certainly can't tell you've been on a drawing hiatus for the past 5 years, it looks to me like you never stop! you get 5 out of 5 stars from this hardcore talespin fan! also, on a side note, though i know the criticism posted here is the constructive type, i would like to point out that i'm sure anybody that's purposely looking for flaws could find them even in the actual show.. in my humble opinion, it would make for a more interesting comic book if the animation style looked nothing like the original artwork.. like imagine if the characters had the same "animal on hind-legs" idea with the same clothes (only less cartoony) and personality, but we're drawn realistically like the actual creatures they represent.. like an actual bear in baloo's clothes, an actual tiger in shear khans suit etc.. to me, that would make it very artistically interesting, and give it a fresh sort of feel while still preserving the aspects that we all know and love.. and that's just one simple idea, so imagine all the possibilities! the sky's the limit (no pun intended). i think an alternative approach would definitely catch the eye of talespin fans (or disney even?) more so than just seeing that someone drew them exactly like we all remember. anyway, just food for thought.. and again, keep up the excellent work!

"see you space cowboy.."