=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Model Sheets - Rules and Objectives
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:01 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Here's my attempt :lol:
This is the best I can do by memory without a model sheet, I can't proportion the body very well ,though, I have a lot of difficulty with that :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

This is what we actually have of the Model Sheet for Kit's Animation Construction (or volumetrics if they still call them that...) This is what I used to get success with that small page of sketches and that final rendering.

What you have here is essentially the right material and its progression seems fairly stable. What I suspect you are suffering from is a problem of not visualizing the construction shapes. Circles should be as circular as you are able to draw, lines and arcs if free-handed should be as true as you can make them. I have some scans of the materials handed out in my Quick Sketch classes. There are drills of material you should go through daily for about 30 or 40 mins to get those true circles to come out of the end of your pencil. Other than that, the only other remedy is LOTS AND LOTS OF DRAWING!

I recommend to you, as I did to another forum user, to draw at least one image a day if you can. Also, if you haven't done so yet, check out John Kricfalusi's free online college for cartooning at http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.com/2009/12/preston-blair-lessons-fundamentals-of.html I too need work and will be using the techniques and practices found on this site to take my skills to the next level.

Come with me! I am going to a place where nifty things happen!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Do you happen to have the drill sheets for getting in the swing for that sort of thing? I'm horrible at drawing circles :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:49 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

Weylin wrote:
Here's my attempt :lol:
This is the best I can do by memory without a model sheet, I can't proportion the body very well ,though, I have a lot of difficulty with that :(

That's pretty good! Better than what I could ever do myself. (ESPECIALLY by memory!!)

Quote:
What you have here is essentially the right material and its progression seems fairly stable. What I suspect you are suffering from is a problem of not visualizing the construction shapes. Circles should be as circular as you are able to draw, lines and arcs if free-handed should be as true as you can make them. I have some scans of the materials handed out in my Quick Sketch classes. There are drills of material you should go through daily for about 30 or 40 mins to get those true circles to come out of the end of your pencil. Other than that, the only other remedy is LOTS AND LOTS OF DRAWING!

I recommend to you, as I did to another forum user, to draw at least one image a day if you can. Also, if you haven't done so yet, check out John Kricfalusi's free online college for cartooning at http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.com/200 ... ls-of.html I too need work and will be using the techniques and practices found on this site to take my skills to the next level.

Thanks for the advice. The next time I'll be drawing something, I'll try to keep that in mind!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Weylin wrote:
Do you happen to have the drill sheets for getting in the swing for that sort of thing? I'm horrible at drawing circles :lol:

You better believe I am going to have them for you. I just have to locate the files. Stand by...

And Also these...

And now the teaching:

Warming up regularly before drawing is essential. Very few artists, animators, draftsmen, illustrators or computer animators end up with such savant level skills that they can sit down at the drafting table and just build images. It's like a classic car. You don't start the thing up and just drive it out the driveway. You wait for the engine to heat and for the thermostat to begin regulating the engine nominally. You also don't hit the pavement like a fool and drive around like a bat out of hell. You take it easy and let the car do the driving.
The same applies to drawing skills. You as the artist are seldom in control of your drawing abilities. What the experience has taught me thus far is that you let your creativity explore the image and merely steer it around the corners and choose which streets to go down. Obviously, you have a destination in mind and will take predictable changes of speed, direction and scenery on the way to the end, which is a finished image. Master artists, like professional drivers take fewer side roads, drive faster and with more confidence, take less time planning the trip and have to turn around and go back less than amateurs. That is literally the most positive way to think about it!

Now that you understand what your skills are like using them, you of course realize that only the best parts make your classic car run properly. These parts can be found in the drills I have provided here. Much like the drills you would do for charcoal drawing, i.e. using shapes of color to build images, then adding to the darkness or subtracting from it to illustrate lighting, these practice elements will allow you to learn fundamental tools that become the parts for good drawing. I recommend doing more than 20 minutes. If pressed, I can show you examples of my practices but a page full of circles drawn so that they touch each other and remain circular is pretty boring.

The point is, after warming up like this, you can take to the model sheets with confidence that you are drawing the volumetrics properly. After all, if you obey the model sheet with a medium kind of obedience, the thing drawn will look like the thing on the sheet. This is why Model Sheets are used. There is no guess work involved in animation as long as everybody knows how to "build" Kit into a scene. I will discuss this in more detail a little later. For now, enjoy the drills. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:00 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Here's my first attempt using volumetrics on Kit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:10 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Woo Hoo! Good things to post today. I am going to start off by figuring out how many head-heights the main characters are before I get into any major details. This will at least help me out as a personal diagnostic tool to see where I am in my studies. Immediately, I did Rebecca. She does not have a height chart yet but does have some of her Model Sheet Set posted. I did two in order to see how close I came. I am now satisfied that she is within 4.5 and 5 head heights. My temporary exploratory work got me this far:

Looking at the Height Comparison Model Sheet, I found that Rebecca and Kit's heads are nearly the same size with but a centimeter or two to spare. Since I now have Kit and Rebecca's height charts and other Model Sheet Material, what the heck!

Kit and Rebecca, sitting down in front of the radio to listen in on a flying race being held somewhere.
A simple snack of soda and home-made chips are set between them and, being a motherly sort, Rebecca withstands being involved in something she's not really interested/knowledgeable in.
She, an excellent sales person and business woman, talks around the edge of the subject and politely asks questions when things happen that she doesn't understand.
Kit, thrilled to have someone to enjoy the event with, patiently explains the rules of the race (which I kind of borrowed from Rally Racing).
I will describe the word balloons since my hand writing is horrible.

RADIO: "...And so-and-so takes the lead with 15 points total to squeeze ahead of that-guy at 13 points. Jim, tell us what's happening in so-and-sos pit..."
Rebecca: "I get that points totalled wins the race. Tell me again why he lost points for having the fastest time..."
Kit: "So-and-so got ahead because his time is closer to the circuit time. Too fast and you loose points. Too slow and you loose points. It's got to be just right to win."

And a thousand curses that I only got three hours to work on art today. Calling all around the city for stuff to get things locked down in my new apartment just kept impinging on my drawing time. Ooh! I hope like crazy that things get going better soon. I have lots of stuff I want to draw and, if I've made the effort to warm up adequately, I very much would rather having many more hours to use it. Darn it all! Good Night!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:25 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Nice use of anatomy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:10 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

One of the things that add a lot to the drawing are those fabric fold lines, I tend to have a difficult time judging the best way to draw lines under a certain situation so that it looks natural, and not forced.

Do you suggest anything for the practice of drawing cloth and the way lines should be done? Different situations where fabric is taut, blowing, folded, torn, wet, unraveled, thick, thin, coarse, smooth, sewn, and so on :lol:

Even with real life photographs of fabric, theres still a process on how you interpret the shadows and folds which can be difficult to pick out if it's not very obvious.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:32 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Weylin wrote:
One of the things that add a lot to the drawing are those fabric fold lines, I tend to have a difficult time judging the best way to draw lines under a certain situation so that it looks natural, and not forced.

Do you suggest anything for the practice of drawing cloth and the way lines should be done? Different situations where fabric is taut, blowing, folded, torn, wet, unraveled, thick, thin, coarse, smooth, sewn, and so on :lol:

Even with real life photographs of fabric, theres still a process on how you interpret the shadows and folds which can be difficult to pick out if it's not very obvious.

Weylin, good sir, you want this. Oh ho ho! THIS!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7591059/Burne-Hogarth-Dynamic-Wrinkles-and-Drapery

You can download it as a PDF to your computer or look at it directly in Scribd. You never know what you will find in Scribd though they've mostly been taken over by Facebook.

Burne Hogarth has forgotten more about human form and how to illustrate it than most artists know. One of my teachers at AIPDX had the honor to study under him. I got hooked on Mr. Hogarth through my teacher and now have every one of his books in my library. Do heed this one warning before you begin!

Read the book back-to-front at least once before you try ANYTHING shown within!

After that, you will more or less have every part to the great challenge of drapery and cloth as a real theory in art. For animation, you never have to lay into the detail so greatly as Mr. Hogarth does. You use the bare minimums but the rules are all found within that book. If you really like what Mr. Hogarth has to show you, please do buy the book to support his estate which publishes his mountains of drawing for our benefit.

To think; he and Chuck Jones died so close together. Pretty soon, all the great artists of the golden age of animation and comics will have the same thing in common. They'll all be dead :( Will we be there to carry their flames forward?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:45 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Aku- WOW! :)
Thank you very much for advices!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:37 pm 

So Aku, did you get the time to do more? Can't wait!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:22 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I found this nifty pic for height references:

Source:
http://katarinasart.com/modelsheet.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:44 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Curses! Mandatory Overtime is a MAJOR killer of creative free-time. And when the boss says go, I gotta go. Pretty tired now. I will have to do some work during my mornings this week. Look for at least an image a day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

The model sheet of kit (The scanned image on that website), and how he appears in the show seems to differ a bit, mainly on both cheeks being rounded, eyes more elongated. Should I be using screenshots from the show for references instead?