Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Introduction Forum
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:31 pm 

I just came to this site through Deviantart and I didn't see an introduction post, so I'll start one.

My name is Hyzenthlay69 and I first saw the film when it appeared in 1978. I was about ten years old and we saw it at a theatre in San Fransisco. It was an unforgettable experience for me because it was definitely NO Disney movie. I recall that there was a reporter outside the theatre who was asking the kids if they liked the movie and why. I'm not quite sure if my parents realized that this animated film was probably geared more towards them than it was for me. I understood vaguely that it was a story of two groups of rabbits in which one was a free society and the other was not. I remember telling the reporter I liked it because it was 'bloody' but I would have liked to have thought I meant the movie was BLOODY GOOD.

Back then, probably due to the fact that in 1978 there wasn't a lot of merchandising done for movies and not especially for a UK animated film that was probably aimed at older audiences, I didn't collect anything. I don't remember there being any stuffed animals. But as you can see, later on as an adult many years later, I began collecting what limited items WERE released for the film. I really lucked out with the collectible plush animals which are found virtually no where these days. That was a true treasure.

Later when I was about 14, I had a wonderful English teacher who had us read the book ( which really opened my eyes to the complexity of the story and its wonderful, multidimensional characters) and see the film again, and having experienced both forms of media, I appreciated them each for what they were worth. Yes, the movie deviated from the book but in all it depicted what the story was about in a simpler fashion.

I look forward to participating on this forum. Perhaps a fanfiction or art contest with a prize would get people active and posting a lot more often :)

Hyzenthlay69