Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help With Fan Story
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:52 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm in the begining stages of writing a fan story where Baloo and Becky are going to marry but before they do Becky's parents invite them to spend Christmas in Winger City and her father doesn't approve of baloo. I basically came up with the idea from listening to the song Uptown Girl by Billy Joel and a little bit of it from watching Meet the Parents. What I'm looking for is some feedback to see if this is really a good idea.

Post subject: Re: Help With Fan Story
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:59 pm 
Young pup

Nothing wrong with that at all. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:11 pm 
Animation Source is my home!
Animation Source is my home!

Yes, actually I'm very looking forward to the result because this sounds like a great idea. I think I read a story about Kit meeting Rebecca's parents, but not Baloo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thanks but now what I'm having trouble creating the character's background. Rebecca's is no problem but I want to something with Baloo's background despite being a cargo pilot like what did he do before becoming a pilot? I don't want to have it where he has some deep dark secret I thought maybe where he might have had a couple run ins with the law or something but nothing major. If anyone has any ideas I would welcome them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 pm 
Young pup

Well, Sheepskin Deep tells us he probably dropped out of school to get a job. He also says he "only knows from planes." Baloo might have learned how to fly at a young age, possibly by his father. He never mentions his mother in any of the episodes, if I remember correctly. After he found himself parentless at some point, it's possible he used the only skill - flying - he had in order to survive.

In Bearly Alive he makes the most of the time - so he thinks - he has left to fly through the Bearmuda Triangle. In doing so he practically abandons his friends, but also demonstrates a refusal to simply shut down and give up. Maybe this says something about his attitude towards mortality and life in general?

I don't know. This is probably reading too much into a kids' cartoon. Really, Baloo's past is a blank slate. Write whatever you think fits. Though one does have to wonder about those occasional episodes of cross-dressing... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:22 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I was thinking of using some of the eps for his background. I like your point about him quitting school in Sheepskin Deep[i][/i] where I was thinking since he liked planes maybe he got a job working in an airplane factory or was a mechnanic. I like the idea of him being parentless but I remember reading in one of dan green's stories that he had an uncle named Moe, I was thinking that maybe after his parents died Moe took him and raised him and that's how he became a pilot and when he realized that's what he wanted to he quit school. I like your idea about using what he did in Bearly Alive how he didn't shut down like with him meeting her parents and wanting Rebecca's dad's approval to marry his daughter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:41 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Baloo talks about his dear Uncle Moe in "WhistleStop Jackson, Legand" as his favorite person. He mentions in "Double or Nothing" that crazy-named song boogywoogy stick shoes and bannana blues or something like that as his daddy's favorite record. In one of the episodes he actually goes back to school that maybe in "Sheepskin Deep". Baloo has a lot of parking tickets. That is the only episodes that come to mind that mention his past.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:09 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I think I'm going to have it where both of his parents died and his uncle Moe raised him and that's how learned about planes and quit school to become a pilot and then later goes back to school. I like the idea about the parking tickets being his run ins with the law because he doesn't really seem the type to do anything that would be illegal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Just minor illegal things! :lol: Great idea! Can't wait to read it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 am 
Advanced
Advanced

I like what you have so far! Just a few questions and suggestions though: What genre will it be? Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Romance or a combination? I think I remember reading how you are planning to drive the story, I just wanted to get an update. I think it had something to do with the air pirates or an ex-employee...

Personally, I wouldn't have them getting married because I don't think it would have been done in the show. Even if they really love each other (which I think they do) they are way too stubborn to admit it to themselves, much less to each other or to anyone else. That's just my view of the matter. I think it would work better if her father made an unexpected visit when the H4H gang had scheduled a picnic or something like that that a family would do. Her father sees them flirting (they don't even realize they're doing it) and is upset by it because Baloo is low brow and beneath her or whatever. Also Baloo's past illegal acts could be a strike against him in her father's eyes, making him like Baloo even less.

Then of course, the external conflict comes in and throws everything into chaos and Baloo has to save the day, thus proving himself to Rebecca's father. Here is where Baloo's past could come in handy. You probably already know this, but most stories, even dramas, benefit from action. Think Titanic or Romancing the Stone. Also showing is better than telling. Just my thoughts. :)

I look forward to discussing this further and possibly making an outline (If you haven't already).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:41 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Maybe I could make you one or two illustrations. Will you use the description of Rebecca's parents from Dan Green's fan fic? Write to your hearts content.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:14 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I like the idea because I agree I don't see them as the marrying type. I started out that way but I like your idea. I really like the idea about making some of a model of Baloo's illegal acts like Jack Dawson from Titantic don't really know that much about Romancing The Stone because that was way before my time. At one point I thought of maybe making Baloo's illegal acts like something Rick the cafe owner in the movie Casablanca. Ooh I just had an even better idea what if Rebecca's father arranged a marriage with one of his business associates kid because they want to merge their companies and before the Wedding some sparks start to fly between Baloo and Rebecca and on the day of the Wedding Baloo confesses his feelings for Rebecca?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I like the idea about drawing me some characters . So far I plan on using Dan Green's description for her parents.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:57 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I like the idea of confessing his love for her. Would she go ahead and marry the other guy even though she knew the truth? Rebecca loves money but to what degree? and the plot thickens!
You had an idea earlier about her being pregant, that would have been a disgrace in thosse days but if you did get the girl knocked up you married her. Wait a minute. That could be Rebecca's excuse not to marry the other guy because she was carrying Baloo's baby even if it wasn't true. The guy would turn tail and run and her parents would be disappointed with her.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:18 am 
Advanced
Advanced

Sorry, but I'm so lost... :?: I have many questions...like:

Exactly what are we trying to do?
What's the premise?
Whats the story arc?
What character development will take place?
How does all this tie together in your story?

Again, sorry, I'm not trying to be dense, it's just hard to keep track of things when it's spread across multiple posts. An outline would be really helpful...

But regardless, I'm glad you're making progress. :)