Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help me improve please
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:01 pm 
Living here
Living here

I don't think I draw so well, so I want artists to give me some advice. Pleae mention what I'm good at and where I could improve. Thanks ^^

Gallery --> http://www.animationsource.org/balto/en ... /1216.html

Post subject: Re: Help me improve please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:42 am 
Living here
Living here

OK, thanks ^^ It is really useful advice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:14 am 
Living here
Living here

Study realism.

I know it sounds "scary" and "boring," but like many beginner artists/Balto Source artists, you seem to be more concerned with style than you are anatomy. And as we all know, a picture with bad anatomy is ... well, a bad picture. People will focus more on the problems than they will the message. This becomes a conflict of interest.

So sit down with a few "about wolves/canine breeds" books, magazines, and print-outs from the computer and try to draw them as accurately as possible. Break down the anatomy into basic shapes -- lines, circles. You will fail a few times, but don't get discouraged. Progress is progress -- slow and it has to be worked for. Art isn't a birth talent. You're not born an "artist" like you would be built for sports. It's a skill, and must be honed, honed again, and then honed some more. (Practice!)

Or, don't print anything. Sit in front of your computer and draw like mad. Below are a few resources I used way back when.

Monty Sloan's photography offers wolves in various poses, and also teaches you about different behaviors and how they are displayed in the pack.
Wolf Anatomy, as posted by DrewtheWolf.
Greensh on DevART
BewaretheWolf
Woxys Photos

Tips:
* Stay AWAY from referencing artwork and altered photographs. None of these are perfect, especially art, and have flaws that you will pick up. Working with photos, or visiting the zoo, is so much better. You are seeing the raw form before you.

* Work slowly! You have nothing to rush for, so don't get too excited. Take days, weeks, or months -- whatever your fancy -- on one picture. Try to do it right. Post artwork on-line (such as on DeviantART, or, hell, e-mail me or other trusted artists) to get constructive critique. They (the other artists) will tell you where you're fine and where your weaknesses are -- then, you can fix them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:34 am 
Living here
Living here

Thanks Kira ^^
The links look really useful, and I'm very glad you pointed this out to me. I'll try to work on this

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:56 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Kirada wrote:
Study realism.
And as we all know, a picture with bad anatomy is ... well, a bad picture. People will focus more on the problems than they will the message. This becomes a conflict of interest.

It is sad that people nowadays focus a lot more on the anatomy and the aspects of a drawing than trying to figure out their meaning, feelings the artist is trying to send to the viewer. But hey, what's perfect in this world?

Anyway, Kirada formulated well out the basics you need in order to improve. And everything in general. You should post some new pictures and probably one or more of us can redline them for you. Looking forward to seeing new work from you!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:41 pm 
Living here
Living here

OK, I'll post some stuff to red-line once I find my tablet pen. Or you can go over stuff in my gallery if you want

Link --> http://www.animationsource.org/balto/en ... /1216.html