Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Gin or Weed -- Which do you prefer?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:00 am 
Animation Source is my home!

Hey, guys, WildFire here. First of all I'm absolutely thrilled that there's now a Ginga source, been a fan of these animes and mangas for ages. But what I really was thinking to myself, is that which anime and mange do people like more, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin or Ginga Densetsu Weed? Or do you like both of them just as much? Share your thoughts!

For me, as I enjoy both of the mangas, I'm gonna have to say the Ginga Nagareboshi Gin anime is my favorite. I don't know exactly why, but maybe it's the animation xD Sure, the Gin anime is made in the 80's, but still I always found the animation in the Weed anime quite... well, not good. I do like the story and the characters in the sequel anime as well, though. Still, the first series wins for me, because it's a big part of my childhood.

How about everyone else?

Post subject: Re: Gin or Weed -- Which do you prefer?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:48 am 

I'd say Gin because he has a strong sense of justice and does always seem to know what to do, unlike Weed who annoyed me with forgiving his greatest enemies so they can betray them and banishing his greatest friends for trying to protect him from his bad decisions.
Maybe Gin would seem different if his enemies were dogs, not bears, but I think he's more balanced character without being too soft like Weed can be.
Also we don't see adult Weed in action, but there's a lot of Gin action though GDW (and I'm talking about manga now, he sucked in anime).
Plus I like his bond with Daisuke that lasts even to GDWO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:24 am 

I also didn't like Gin in the GDW anime, lot better in the manga. While I did enjoy some of the characters in Weed, Gin still wins it for me. I loved the bond between him and Daisuke like you mentioned, and also the bond he has with his father, from the moment Riki remembered Gin is his son, to all the way to the end. If I remember correctly, Gin did not have the same kind of bond with Weed when they were reunited. I might be wrong, of course, it's been a while since I last watched the GDW anime.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:20 am 

I can't stand Gin in GDW anime. He's all like "leave me here, I'm too weak and too old, let me die blah baww blah" while in the manga he actually escapes Hougen's prison on his own, despite being barely able to stand up.
I dunno about manga, but in GDW anime Weed first sees Gin when he's finally rescued and unconscious, then at the fight with Hougen Gin appears to tell Weed to fight on on his own. That didn't seem very emotional at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:23 am 

Troll Berserker wrote:
I dunno about manga, but in GDW anime Weed first sees Gin when he's finally rescued and unconscious, then at the fight with Hougen Gin appears to tell Weed to fight on on his own. That didn't seem very emotional at all.

Those parts I remember, yeah. Certainly not a too emotional bond for a father and son. I think they should've made Gin more like he was in the manga, and not such a whiny old dog who clearly tries to be a martyr, and then he won't even help his son when he needs him. I don't Riki would be too proud of him if he knew.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:13 am 
Supervisor
Supervisor

Honestly, I prefer Gin. Weed puts himself into danger too much and in the end begins to make bad decisions. It couldn't have been just because of stress, but Weed's too nice! If there was a character that had both Gin's qualities and Weed's, even though everyone says they're one in the same (and there might be a dog fitting the bill already), then maybe I'd think differently.

Gin understands his situations much more than Weed and chooses to kill a threat instead of letting it go, which was Weed's first mistake with many dogs. Like I said, Weed's too nice, I haven't read the manga so I'm sure I might get chewed out for this. If I didn't know better, I'd say that Weed still remains a little naive into adulthood when he has his own pups (and his bratty son, so I've heard).

This is my opinion on the matter, and I chose Gin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:25 am 

Troll Berserker wrote:
I'd say Gin because he has a strong sense of justice and does always seem to know what to do, unlike Weed who annoyed me with forgiving his greatest enemies so they can betray them and banishing his greatest friends for trying to protect him from his bad decisions.
Maybe Gin would seem different if his enemies were dogs, not bears, but I think he's more balanced character without being too soft like Weed can be.
Also we don't see adult Weed in action, but there's a lot of Gin action though GDW (and I'm talking about manga now, he sucked in anime).
Plus I like his bond with Daisuke that lasts even to GDWO.

^THIS.
My hate for Weed knows no limits xD Gin's much more balnaced with his sense of justice, he kills if he has to or he spares a life if he knows it's the right thing to do.
I think Weed would have stopped every dog who tried to kill Akakabuto, because he deserved a second chance. I understand disliking violence at all costs but this is just ridiculous. Like the fact that, despite the many wounds he got, he's still clean and scar-less like a newborn puppy.
GIN YES
WEED EURGH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:33 pm 

I actually like both equally,
You guys are right though, Weed does put himself into danger too much! I love the style of both though, other than that, I'd say Gin is the best!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:50 pm 
Young pup

I loved both anime series, but I think I'd have to pick GNG. What a powerful ending.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:34 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Gin all day everyday.
He was much more original, and he wasn't disgustingly saccharine. GDW made Weed basically a copy of Gin, I don't really see him coming up with any of his own moves or anything. And he's too "forced" of a character for me I guess. He's too predictable...? Eh.
GNG as a anime was much better animated in my opinion as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:20 pm 

Eska wrote:
GDW made Weed basically a copy of Gin, I don't really see him coming up with any of his own moves or anything.

Exactly, he doesn't do anything yet everybody fall on his feet seeing him as a god. Characters on the evil side are so illuminated by Weed's goodness that they decide to take his side and become his ally. I could see that happening with Gin, HE was an ispiring fair fellow but not Weed.
Dunno if you've read the manga or know what happens but basically:
Hidden text : click to show

That's another reason of why I don't like him. He's the leader but for...for what? He doesn't do anything!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:21 pm 

I think Eska has a point. Weed is not being let to become his own character. He looks like Gin, he (supposedly) act like Gin. He is constantly compared to Gin, yet he's way too soft for a dog world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:14 am 

Okay, after starting to rewatch GDW, I can compltely agree on everyone's opinions about Weed. Everyone says he's so much like Gin back in the day, but is he really? He's always ready to rush to fight an opponent twice his size, and yet he'd be ready to let everyone live. I mean, what? o-O He's just a character that I do not understand or support at all, no matter how much of a main character of the story he is.

And Gin in the anime... Yikes! Not even gonna go there, I think I wouldn't have anything left to say that Troll didn't already say.