Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Flyable/Explorable Iron Vulture
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hello to all, I am ehre to share with you my latest project. My goal is to create a fully functioning and detailed computerized model of the masterpiece the Iron Vulture. I have been looking into some programs and I believe that I can do it. I want to be a big contributor to this site and perhaps this is a way that I can be. Thanks to the wonderful collection that Steet has put together I have plenty of pictures of the Iron Vulture. This won't be an easy task however because it is never clearly shown how the ship is layed out. I am aware of how the docking bay is designed and where the "cockpit" is located however there are many parts of it such as the engine room, jail, captain and crew's quarters, and the mess hall that are shown but give little idea as to their placement on the ship. This may prove to make it easier though because I can speculate. I will draw up a simple plan and post it on here shortly so you guys can give me your input. If anyone has anything to add please feel free.

As of now I may need some help getting the sound effects of the Iron Vulture so if someone could lend a hand that would be great.

Post subject: Re: Flyable/Explorable Iron Vulture
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

This is great Idea! I just can't wait for the results ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

The Talespin Sourcepage has some great info on it's interior.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 pm 
Animation Source is my home!
Animation Source is my home!

TheGroundedAviator wrote:

Yes, that. http://talespinsourcepage.i8.com/

Can't wait to see the first results!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

steet wrote:
TheGroundedAviator wrote:

Yes, that. http://talespinsourcepage.i8.com/

Can't wait to see the first results!

Thanks to you both for this, it will help more than you know. I like to think of myself as a "Karnage Expert" yet websites such as this some how elude me.

This will indeed be quite a project. I am by no means a programmer or designer of any sort but I have found no one who would be up to this task so I shall take this upon myself. I am often very anal when it comes to detail so even the smallest steps in this process may take longer than if someone else was attempting this. I will do my absolute best to have a fully modeled Vulture with a 3D Karnage at the wheel however at the very least it will have a fully modeled exterior and "cockpit" that you can look at while piloting it. I have found someone who indeed created a computer model of the Iron Vulture and am looking at ways to contact him. If I can contact him and he will let me use the model then that will take an enormous chunk of time out of the process leaving me to model the interior and integrate it into the game.

I however run into some big problems with this:

1 - I am not sure if the file type or program would be compatible with the game I plan to put it in.

2 - There is a demo of the program but if I indeed need to buy it then that would cost me about $1,495.00 (U.S.) :S, which is out of the question.

The game that I keep mentioning is called Virtual Sailor, here is a video of the Nautilus that someone created for the game from Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. As you will see it is rather amazing what can be created for this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgUAxWb5O8

The Iron Vulture would of course float and fly. I like this game because it is fairly easy is to create vehicles for it and it has low enough requirements so that it can be ran on pretty much any computer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:01 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Awesome ^^

I can't really help with 3D; I have next to no experience with that, but have you seen the 2D Talespin game I'm making?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

AirPirate36 wrote:
I however run into some big problems with this:

1 - I am not sure if the file type or program would be compatible with the game I plan to put it in.

2 - There is a demo of the program but if I indeed need to buy it then that would cost me about $1,495.00 (U.S.) :S, which is out of the question.

Can't help with issue number one, but there is a solution for problem 2. While viewing Steam's Greenlight submissions yesterday, I found this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1346999241 Based on the info from their first link, it seems they plan on selling it for $30.

Also, while I'm at it, I'll wish you the best of luck with your project.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

For eager person nothing' s impossible ;) I'll support this project even of the losing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:40 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I would love to help out with this project.

The main issue, in my opinion, is one of scale. The Vulture is /massive/, by far the largest object in the Talespin skies. The internal volume is equally cyclopean, even detracting the sizeable landing and launch bay. It'll be a real task and a half to not only accurately portray this volume, but to also fill it with useful details without ending up with large open chunks.

The next issue is that we've never seen the /full/ interior of the Vulture. There have been chase scenes along the corridors, and the occasional interior shot that wasn't on the bridge, the Captain's quarters or the launch bay, but most of the ship itself is unknown territory. The layout has always been fudged by the storytelling, and I'm quite sure even the original designers don't have a full idea of what it looks like on the inside.

The final hurdle will be to accurately model the flight and sail characteristics of the vessel. While the Vulture is by my calculations aerodynamically sound, it will take a very skilled pilot to keep it from drifting off. Its biggest drawback is the lack of a lateral stabiliser. The vertical stabilisers which are so prominent on the rear of the vessel will act as giant sails in crosswinds, increasing the drag factor of the stern. If the forward momentum of the vessel is less than the deflection of the drift, it will end up in a flat spin that cannot be corrected.