Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Elsa and Anna in Once Upon a Time
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:57 am 
Advanced
Advanced

Now- I won't say Once Upon a Time is a perfect show- but I sure do enjoy watching it. It's written by the creators of Lost, and centers around Fairy Tale characters stuck in a town on Maine. The most prominent are Snow White, the Evil Queen, Robin Hood, Prince Charming, Hook, and Rumplestilkin and Belle. Another major character is Snow White and Prince Charming's daughter, who is the main heroine and was separated from them at birth by a curse. Some things about it are weird, but wow are Rumplestilkin and Belle cute together look at them being Beauty and the Beast and cute look at them in the library.

So, season 4 is starting soon, and guess who is showing up for the first arc? Anna, Elsa and Kristoff. So far there have been a few clips released, showing these guys hanging out in Arendelle and some of them hanging out in Storybrooke. In the finale of season 3, Hidden text : click to show
, surprising fans. It has been stated this is a direct continuation of Frozen- the flashbacks (every episode has them) take place just after Elsa unfreezes Arendelle, and there might be a wedding going on.

Anyone watching? If you're interested, the whole series is on Netflix.

Post subject: Re: Elsa and Anna in Once Upon a Time
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:28 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

I'll admit that when I first heard about this news this past summer, I was torn about it xD On one side, I'd get to see more of Elsa and Anna. On the other side, it was literally described by the creators as "expensive fanfiction", which in my opinion is one of the worst possible things you could advertise your show as LOL

I'm in a love/hate relationship with the show. I hate the writing, it has a more confusing timeline than Balto fan characters, and I'm not a fan of more interesting characters playing less of a role (which is a complaint on the writing, really). But I love the characters and the acting is amazing. The actors caring about their role makes a big impression on me, so the casting is one of the things I'm looking forward to most.

I've heard that Elsa is going to be in 9 episodes or so. I'm not sure what that means for Anna or Kristoff. But Hans has been casted too, so I'm wondering what role he's going to play.

But THE one thing that has me the most intrigued is where Elsa was when Emma found "her". She was kept in a goblet that was locked in a dungeon that only Rumple knew how to get to, and it's where he kept things that FRIGHTENED him. HIM. The dark master and THE most powerful being in all the land and beyond.

So he more or less captured Elsa and kept her in prison because she did something to concern him. And I'm wondering what that was...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

Yeah- I really didn't like the last season- but the actor that played Peter Pan was superb. Rumor has it there is Elsa AND a Snow Queen. So, maybe Rumple accidentally trapped Elsa in his room instead of her? But Rumple and Belle are gonna be dancing movie style and it looks gorgeous and we still have Sven according to the creators. I'm pretty sure Episode 1 IS going to feature Anna and Elsa- some of the first things teased showed them both, unless they are just teasing later episodes to get people excited?

Mmm the timeline. My greatest complaint is Mulan. 'I'm going off with Robin Hood, plus Aurora I love you' ok they wrote her out, put then we bring in Robin Hood again and she's nowhere to be found. Hmm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:30 am 

Breeze the Collie wrote:
Yeah- I really didn't like the last season- but the actor that played Peter Pan was superb. Rumor has it there is Elsa AND a Snow Queen. So, maybe Rumple accidentally trapped Elsa in his room instead of her?

If the rumor is true, that would be interesting. Plus it would play in with my story LOL They did set Elsa up to seem like the villain, but in all honesty that was probably done on purpose, because I seriously doubt Storybrooke is gonna welcome Elsa with open arms after freezing everything xD At least not right away.

Breeze the Collie wrote:
But Rumple and Belle are gonna be dancing movie style and it looks gorgeous and we still have Sven according to the creators. I'm pretty sure Episode 1 IS going to feature Anna and Elsa- some of the first things teased showed them both, unless they are just teasing later episodes to get people excited?

I heard it was the premiere of the first episode. I mean, it's just good business sense. Why advertise Frozen characters to appeal to the Frozen fandom, and then not even introduce them in the first episode of the next season LOL that would be terrible. I'M just glad that Anna is not marrying Kristoff when Elsa is missing. So that gives plenty of time for their relationship to be as ruined as the rest of the characters LOL

Breeze the Collie wrote:
My greatest complaint is Mulan. 'I'm going off with Robin Hood, plus Aurora I love you' ok they wrote her out, put then we bring in Robin Hood again and she's nowhere to be found. Hmm.

Yea exactly. They had opportunity to have their first HAPPY lesbean couple, and they they just... write out their only lesbean character? They better have a good excuse for this. And having Mulan and Aurora live happily every after wouldn't hurt either LOL

Here's some quotes from TV Guide, for those who haven't seen it

Some stuff that I deemed noteworthy.

There's also talk of Anna from Katsis. "This is a sunny, hopeful woman who always sees good in people, but what happens when she meets Rumplestiltskin, the devil? We'll reveal a whole new side to Anna's personality."

I'm hoping that doesn't mean they break the poor girl xD Or worse, write her out of character. We have realized that Anna can get violent when she's angry, so maybe she beats the tar out of Rumple at some point LOL

But I am interested in how they incorporate the Snow Queen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:37 pm 

If any of you saw Sunday's premiere of Once Upon a Time, you may have been very satisfied with what they did with Frozen.

Ignoring the... problems of the rest of the show, OUAT did actually get a lot of this set up to be very promising.

One thing to take notice of is this is the show's first attempt at getting their live-action counterparts as close to their movie counterparts as possible. Until now, the representation of these Disney characters (Snow White, Prince Charming, Belle, etc) and their original characters (Rumplestiltskin, Emma, Ruby, etc) have all been stylized and represented very differently, and not in a bad way either.

This time, Elsa and Anna ARE their characters. And they stole the show, to be quite honest.

I was invested in every scene they were in. And this isn't because I'm a Frozen fan thirsting for more and being happy with whatever is thrown at me. It's because the way they're written and how the actresses portray them is very close to how everyone would imagine they'd act post-Frozen events. The continuation of their story, instead of a retelling actually adds to their story, and it doesn't feel forced. It feels natural and true to the source material.

Scenes include mostly Elsa and Anna interacting, and it's beautiful. Anna is still bubbly, spontaneous, and brave. Elsa is quiet, reserved, but very firm and sassy when she chooses. We don't know how much Kristoff will play into their OUAT story, if he will. All we saw was him and Elsa sassing each other, and that was a joy too. But the tables are turned and it's time for Elsa to search for Anna. It's going to be a bit hard when she's been imprisoned for an indeterminate amount of time and now in a completely different universe.

Of course this was just the premiere, and in all honesty, this episode packed in TOO MUCH for a simple premiere. because Elsa and Anna did steal the show, and it made you want more of them. They should've kept the focus on setting up the Frozen characters, entwining it with the OUAT universe, simply touching on Regina's conflict, and then of course showing Rumple and Belle interacting to introduce a character I was not expecting in the slightest. And no it's not Mickey Mouse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:45 am 
Living here
Living here

I haven't seen the full episode, but I watched a collage of all the clips featuring the Frozen characters. I'm very happy everyone was in-character. The voices were all basically perfect, as were the facial gestures and body language. I give props to the casting department, and the actors themselves, on getting this spot-on right. (From what I understand, this is something of an abnormality for OUAT; usually the characters are twists from their original source material.)

The only complaint I have is the occasional cheesiness with the dialogue, and maybe the plot itself (though I got over that pretty quickly), and some logical "sins" that I simply cannot ignore now that I've done so many videos on that topic. However, this was a nice take on Frozen, and even if it's little more than glorified fanfiction, it's still entertaining, and I'll definitely try to keep up with this arc of Once Upon a Time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:59 pm 

Episode 2 had considerably less Elsa and Anna interactions, but they're still being done justice by their actresses. SPOILERS!

We learn that Kristoff and this world's Prince Charming were friends before. HOW, I don't know, but at least we have an idea of how Kristoff knew about the Enchanted Forest in the first place. Anna meets this pre-Prince Charming and attempts to help him fight off Bo Peep, who is a brutal warlord in this world (hilarious, but she is a very capable villain).

We learn that Anna knows swordfighting, and she learned it from the castle guards, presumably from when she was growing up. People have claimed "She didn't know how to sword fight in the movie". Well, we didn't see her do a lot of things. There was a deleted scene where she knew how to sword fight, but in the movie we got, there was no reason for her to use a sword. Anyway. She's actually really good, and has a very spontaneous "Anna" style (the best part is, the actress Elizabeth Lail learned a form of sword fighting in college). Charming does fight off Bo Peep, thanks to Anna's encouragement and teachings. She's then led to Rumplestiltskin.

We learn that Elsa will go through extreme lengths to get her sister back. People say that she's being codependant of Anna, but we only seen Elsa threaten others because she found Anna's necklace in a new world where she's surrounded by strangers. All this while she's panicking, not knowing where she is, where Anna is, or who these people are. Gotta give her some kudos for actually allowing them to help her.

We also learn that Elsa is not the only one with ice powers in this world. Elsa is shocked because where she's from, she's the only one she knows who has magic. And she forms a new friendship with Emma, who also has issues controlling her powers.

I would not call that codependency. Because Elsa was able to control her powers after learning that Emma and the others were going to help her find her sister. We know by now that Elsa's powers are emotionally driven. It's rather nerve-wracking when your only family is no where to be found.

This is still definitely expensive fanfiction. But I still applaud it so far. And hopefully they won't do anything drastic.

My headcanons come to life are:

- Anna knows how to swordfight.
- Elsa and the Snow Queen are two different entities.