Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Did you like the sequel
Yes 82%  82%  [ 42 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Did you like the sequel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

I liked the movie, but I would have liked to have seen a movie based upon Bambi's offspring.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:49 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Mightybalto1925 wrote:
I liked the movie, but I would have liked to have seen a movie based upon Bambi's offspring.

That was actually the plan originally, a Disney biography claims that earlier on they wanted to do an adaption of the novel's sequel 'Bambi's Children' which was very much that. It got canned, though they did make it into a comic book.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 am 

E-122-Psi wrote:
Mightybalto1925 wrote:

That was actually the plan originally, a Disney biography claims that earlier on they wanted to do an adaption of the novel's sequel 'Bambi's Children' which was very much that. It got canned, though they did make it into a comic book.

Really now? I'd like to see that.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:35 pm 

Dragon Tamer wrote:
E-122-Psi wrote:
Mightybalto1925 wrote:

Yeah, could you post some proof of that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:30 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Mightybalto1925 wrote:
Dragon Tamer wrote:
E-122-Psi wrote:

Here's some scans of the Disney comic adaption:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=W+OS+++30-02

I don't have much but secondary source on the film but claims are info on it is in the book "Mickey and the Gang: Classic Stories in Verse".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:11 am 
Famous one
Famous one

E-122-Psi wrote:
Mightybalto1925 wrote:

Here's some scans of the Disney comic adaption:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=W+OS+++30-02

I don't have much but secondary source on the film but claims are info on it is in the book "Mickey and the Gang: Classic Stories in Verse".

Hey - not baaaaaaad. A pretty cool find actually!

Avatar of epicness, and awesome signature image, by MightyBalto1925!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:49 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

JerseyCaptain wrote:
Technically, this sequel was what is usually referred to as a "doughnut hole"...a story within a story. It fits into the original one by filling in the gaps between the early scenes of the original movie, and the latter ones. Kinda neat when you think about it, and a type of story not often done in the industry.

That's what they are called? Wow, thanks for sharing that. are they really that not often done?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:18 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Alkan wrote:
JerseyCaptain wrote:
Technically, this sequel was what is usually referred to as a "doughnut hole"...a story within a story. It fits into the original one by filling in the gaps between the early scenes of the original movie, and the latter ones. Kinda neat when you think about it, and a type of story not often done in the industry.

That's what they are called? Wow, thanks for sharing that. are they really that not often done?

I think both terms are equally-valid. However, it does seem like "midquel" is being used a lot more recently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Like The Lion King 1 1/2 for instance?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:22 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Alkan wrote:
Like The Lion King 1 1/2 for instance?

No. Not precisely like that. That movie is more a comedic sidebar story about two specific characters, not a filling in of gaps about all the characters to connect the dots to something that happened much later. I should think that'd be fairly apparent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:54 am 
Young pup

I didn't HATE it; it's cute and it makes references to the original. But the film ultimately fails because it COMPLETELY missed the point of the original. The original was very dependent on the art, the music, and the growth of its characters; there were no sound effects (aside from the infamous gunshot), there was little dialogue (just under 1000 WORDS spoken), and it took time to allow the audience to become immersed in the visuals. Now before I talk about what was wrong with it, let's look at some ways that it worked:

1.) Change in color scheme during "intense" parts - In the original, at the first arrival of Man, the color scheme changes from its more natural-looking palette to more ethereal, softer colors that kind of blur together; this was meant to symbolize how hectic the forest gets when Man disturbs everything. The animators do it again during the fight with Ronno and, to an extent, during the forest fire. In the sequel, the colors go back to that same hue when Bambi freezes on the meadow and the Great Prince goes after him. They did it again when the stags are running later on, and when the dogs chase the animals toward the end. It was clear that the sequel's artists understood the intent of this technique in the original and brought it back.

2.) References to the original - Okay. These were the moments that made me not hate the movie, because some of these references are clever. When Ronno tries to get Faline to leave Bambi and go with him, he pushes her with his antlers in the exact same fashion that he does when he's older; during several scenes of "walkin' through the forest", they play the same theme they used in the original; the "Get up, Bambi" towards the end, and when Friend Owl tells Flower and Thumper that he'll tell them about being twitterpated when they're older. I can appreciate these.

But I just like to give credit where its due. Here's why it fails:

1.) Where's the Music? - Probably one of the biggest errors was its neglect of one of the most innovative storytelling elements from the original: the use of music. Nearly everything in the original - from the sound effects to the film's cues - was punctuated by a rousing choir or the symphony. This was INTENTIONAL: Walt Disney stated in an interview that the heavy use of music was there for emotional effect. Who could forget the three little notes that play just before Man arrives? Certainly not John Williams, who used that as his inspiration for the 'Jaws' theme. Or "Little April Shower", where they used music to represent an entire storm (again, no sound effects)? It was the biggest emotional catalyst for the original, and exchanged it for bad country songs in the sequel. No "Love is A Song" or "Looking for Romance".

2.) Unnecessary Exploration of the Great Prince's Psyche and His Role as a Father- maybe that subtitle is a bit long, but I think I made it clear: the movie tried to focus on making us "understand" the Great Prince. Normally, I have no problem with exploring characters, but the main reason the Great Prince was so great was because he was MYSTERIOUS. You can tell he loved Bambi and cared about him in the original; the movie takes time to let us see him watching over him, and he himself goes back to get Bambi out of the forest before it completely burns. At the same time, he hardly says anything and the deer literally stop at his presence. Then the sequel comes around and they try to make him more sympathetic and vulnerable, which I have no problem with usually; but everything we see in his "growth" in the sequel were already present in the subtext of the original: he wasn't directly there for Bambi due to his responsibilities, but you know he still loved him. And similarly, while it is interesting to see him cope with his wife's death, ask yourself: is this at all necessary? Are we learning anything more about his character that we didn't already? and if so: does it at all line up with his role in the original?

3.) Discontinuity All Around - Friend Owl doesn't see Bambi without spots and with antlers until he's an adult; and Bambi doesn't see Thumper, Flower, and Faline again until they are all grown up. The Great Prince is the oldest stag in the forest, so unless Bambi's mom is also old, then they couldn't have met when he was Bambi's age. And when did Friend Owl become the Great Prince's steward? And why are people so casual around the Great Prince? What happened to stopping when he arrives on the meadow, and so forth. And why are the crows yelling "MAN"? SUBTLETY!!

AND FINALLY:

4.) Too much talking

Those are kind of my big 4 complaints. Feel free to reply.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:39 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Well yeah, i really liked the sequel, it explained everything that happened between the spring song and the death of the mother. it worked a lot better than some sequels that i've seen like the lion king 2 but with that said there are a lot of silly things about it like Ronno, he was just pointless all he did throughout this movie was bully bambi and he had nothing to do with the story whatsoever. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad movie i just thing it could be improved in a few ways.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 pm 

ToddReynard wrote:
1.) Where's the Music? - Probably one of the biggest errors was its neglect of one of the most innovative storytelling elements from the original: the use of music. Nearly everything in the original - from the sound effects to the film's cues - was punctuated by a rousing choir or the symphony. This was INTENTIONAL: Walt Disney stated in an interview that the heavy use of music was there for emotional effect. Who could forget the three little notes that play just before Man arrives? Certainly not John Williams, who used that as his inspiration for the 'Jaws' theme. Or "Little April Shower", where they used music to represent an entire storm (again, no sound effects)? It was the biggest emotional catalyst for the original, and exchanged it for bad country songs in the sequel. No "Love is A Song" or "Looking for Romance".

No argument there. Though they did have a couple of nice musical numbers, there was a definite lack of background music to underscore things.

ToddReynard wrote:
2.) Unnecessary Exploration of the Great Prince's Psyche and His Role as a Father- maybe that subtitle is a bit long, but I think I made it clear: the movie tried to focus on making us "understand" the Great Prince. Normally, I have no problem with exploring characters, but the main reason the Great Prince was so great was because he was MYSTERIOUS. You can tell he loved Bambi and cared about him in the original; the movie takes time to let us see him watching over him, and he himself goes back to get Bambi out of the forest before it completely burns. At the same time, he hardly says anything and the deer literally stop at his presence. Then the sequel comes around and they try to make him more sympathetic and vulnerable, which I have no problem with usually; but everything we see in his "growth" in the sequel were already present in the subtext of the original: he wasn't directly there for Bambi due to his responsibilities, but you know he still loved him. And similarly, while it is interesting to see him cope with his wife's death, ask yourself: is this at all necessary? Are we learning anything more about his character that we didn't already? and if so: does it at all line up with his role in the original?

I agree that the Great Prince's solemnity from the first movie was shattered in large part by the sequel, or rather the midquel, but I think I can see the reason. It seems to me that this was not so much to address anything in his role as it was to address a serious concern in the lives of many viewers, particularly kids: the fact that their own fathers are far too like the original Great Prince. Strong and aloof (well, sometimes), there in an absolute emergency, but at any other time constantly absorbed in their work or hobbies and virtually impossible to talk to at any time. My own father is in many ways just such a man, which is probably why I myself was so fond of this particular interpretation despite its plot holes and inconsistencies. I think the whole idea of depicting the Great Prince as he was in Bambi II was to send a little message to kids (Hey, your parents are people underneath all those "no"s and "stay put"s), and to their parents (You're missing the joy in life. Ease off that paperwork and spend some time with your kids). Would it have been better to make a brand-new movie with new characters to convey these messages? Probably. Am I saying that this excuses their inconsistent treatment of the Great Prince? Not necessarily. However, it's my own personal view that it does have, in its own right, some merit.

ToddReynard wrote:
3.) Discontinuity All Around - Friend Owl doesn't see Bambi without spots and with antlers until he's an adult; and Bambi doesn't see Thumper, Flower, and Faline again until they are all grown up. The Great Prince is the oldest stag in the forest, so unless Bambi's mom is also old, then they couldn't have met when he was Bambi's age. And when did Friend Owl become the Great Prince's steward? And why are people so casual around the Great Prince? What happened to stopping when he arrives on the meadow, and so forth. And why are the crows yelling "MAN"? SUBTLETY!!

This pretty well sums up the plot holes I mentioned, so I'm not going to argue any of them.

ToddReynard wrote:
AND FINALLY:

4.) Too much talking

Hard to argue this point, but it seems that the first movie carried a strong environmental thrust, and we all know nature is best appreciated with one's mouth shut except at certain brief and appropriate times. The second movie, by contrast, was much more of a family movie, and families need communication like a plant needs water and light. Regarding whether this break from the previous movie's style is justified, see my answer to point 2.

I remember watching the movies chronologically, breaking off the first one in the middle, watching the second, and resuming the third. I noticed then that the experience seemed disconnected by more than just switching disks, and now you've given some good explanations as to why (although I'd figured out 2 and 3 on my own). Thanks for your insight.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

wish the name was kept as "Bambi and the great prince of the forest" than "Bambi 2" I feel it gets the wrong ideas as if its the continuing of the story

I like the movie since as said in the bonus features in the Bambi DVD, Walt Disney wasn't happy that he didn't have enough time to put the story of what happened to Bambi after his mom dies and how he is raised by his father.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:23 am 

crazy4994 wrote:
wish the name was kept as "Bambi and the great prince of the forest" than "Bambi 2" I feel it gets the wrong ideas as if its the continuing of the story

I like the movie since as said in the bonus features in the Bambi DVD, Walt Disney wasn't happy that he didn't have enough time to put the story of what happened to Bambi after his mom dies and how he is raised by his father.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the insight!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next