Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Aniu: The White Wolf or Not?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Do you think that Aniu and the white wolf from Balto 1 are the same wolf? I do, and there are several things about both of them that seem to back this up.

1. If Aniu was not the white wolf, then, why did the white wolf howl at Balto like that? Wouldn't a wolf do that with someone it knew, instead of a complete stranger?

2. Some people say that the white wolf was more fluffy than Aniu or something like that. But it was winter, so wouldn't the wolf have more fur to keep it warm?

3. The white wolf seems to be taller than Balto. But Balto was lying down, and the wolf was standing up. Also, Aniu is taller than Balto as well. If you look carefully at one of the scenes from Balto: Wolf Quest, you can see that.

4. Someone invovled in making has said that the two wolves are meant to be the same. Doesn't that prove it?

You can think that the white wolf is different or that they're the same, but the evidence seems to say that they are the same wolves.

Post subject: Re: Aniu: The White Wolf or Not?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:39 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I agree with you.I do believe the white wolf from Balto 1 is Aniu from Balto:Wolf Quest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 am 
Animation Source is my home!

She is. Aniu and the White Wolf are the same wolf. Phil Weinstein also answered a question about it and his answer was yes...take a look here--> http://www.animationsource.org/board/exclusive-phil-weinstein-interview-t4503.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:39 pm 

There is a topic like this one already. Besides, it has been confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:35 am 

Yet there was also something somewhere where the B1 crew did NOT intend the White Wolf to be Balto's mother (Aniu).

It depends on who you want to believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 am 

Yeah, Phil also said Ralph and Dusty were an item but people still refuse to believe that fact.

No matter what he says, I don't think the White Wolf was Balto's mother. To answer you first question Fuya, the White Wolf was inspired by Inuit legends that tell of a mysterious white wolf showing up and helping lost travellers find their way home. it's a spirit or a ghost, as you can tell by it disappearing and reappearing.

And I think the fact that it's Balto's mother ruins the 'mystery of the White Wolf'. I like it being genderless and spiritual - and nothing more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 pm 

Rebelness wrote:
Yeah, Phil also said Ralph and Dusty were an item but people still refuse to believe that fact.

No matter what he says, I don't think the White Wolf was Balto's mother. To answer you first question Fuya, the White Wolf was inspired by Inuit legends that tell of a mysterious white wolf showing up and helping lost travellers find their way home. it's a spirit or a ghost, as you can tell by it disappearing and reappearing.

And I think the fact that it's Balto's mother ruins the 'mystery of the White Wolf'. I like it being genderless and spiritual - and nothing more.

I agree here. The white wolf spirit is has no other identity. In the legend, which is in fact older and more accurate than...Wolf Quest, a white wolf spirit came to those lost in snow storms and aided them, giving them inspiration to carry on. Like in the first movie.

Just because it existed in the first movie doesn't necessarily mean it needed an identity. Weinstein said that Aniu was supposed to be the white wolf in the first movie, but the original creators did not and do not see it that way, and I prefer their word over his, seeing as he didn't even see the movie while making Wolf Quest.

Why people choose to believe him when it comes to Aniu, but choose not to believe him when it comes to Dusty and Ralph is all the more reason to not debate this. Why does this make sense? Well, look at it this way, Weinstein had nothing to do with the original Balto, and Wings of Change was /his/ movie, and Dusty and Ralph were more or less /his/ characters. Not the white wolf. So if you ask me, he has little to no say on the white wolf being Balto's mother.

Fuya wrote:
1. If Aniu was not the white wolf, then, why did the white wolf howl at Balto like that? Wouldn't a wolf do that with someone it knew, instead of a complete stranger?

If she was his mother, don't you think she woulda said something like "Balto! It's been a long time! How have you been? Why don't you write me anymore?" or, I dunno. Something /his mother/ would say? As opposed to just howling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:05 am 

I consider them both the same thing, but even if they aren't, it seems like a pretty big coincidence that they just 'happened' to make Balto's mother completely white. But oh well. The sequels suck anyway so who cares! xD

Hey, what could this be?[/center]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:23 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

catwhohas14tails wrote:
Rebelness wrote:

I agree here. The white wolf spirit is has no other identity. In the legend, which is in fact older and more accurate than...Wolf Quest, a white wolf spirit came to those lost in snow storms and aided them, giving them inspiration to carry on. Like in the first movie.

Just because it existed in the first movie doesn't necessarily mean it needed an identity. Weinstein said that Aniu was supposed to be the white wolf in the first movie, but the original creators did not and do not see it that way, and I prefer their word over his, seeing as he didn't even see the movie while making Wolf Quest.

I agree with both posts here. You also need to grasp that the character "Aniu" wasn't even thought of in the first film. What opinions truly need to be heard from are the origional animators/script writers of the first film, /not/ from Wolf Quest. To be quite honest I felt Balto 2 wasn't very.. origional, in many cases throughout the film. They took a lot of things from the first film and threw them into the sequel intending them to be something/someone else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:06 pm 

Togo wrote:
Rebelness wrote:

While I agree that it's more intresting to think of the White Wolf as a mysterious spirit of the wild, tecnically Balto 2 is the official sequel of the original movie, even if the staff who made it is different; so the White Wolf actually is Balto's mother. Even if Cat14 has a point in saying that since Weinstein didn't direct Balto 1 and didn't even talk with the original authors, he didn't know anything about the original setting.

Which is exactly why I don't trust his opinion in the second movie, instead of the third movie. By the time the third movie came around, he was much more in tune with the original movie /and/ had extra help. If he had even seen the first movie when he did WQ, he would've done it different. Maybe even pass "Aniu" as his "spirit guide", which I think is more practical than it being his "mother".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:45 pm 

catwhohas14tails wrote:
Rebelness wrote:

Why people choose to believe him when it comes to Aniu, but choose not to believe him when it comes to Dusty and Ralph is all the more reason to not debate this. Why does this make sense? Well, look at it this way, Weinstein had nothing to do with the original Balto, and Wings of Change was /his/ movie, and Dusty and Ralph were more or less /his/ characters. Not the white wolf. So if you ask me, he has little to no say on the white wolf being Balto's mother.

Fuya wrote:

If she was his mother, don't you think she woulda said something like "Balto! It's been a long time! How have you been? Why don't you write me anymore?" or, I dunno. Something /his mother/ would say? As opposed to just howling

I agree. WQ was just a lame movie that ruined the most epic part of Balto.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:14 pm 

Question wrote:
catwhohas14tails wrote:
Rebelness wrote:

Fuya wrote:

I agree. WQ was just a lame movie that ruined the most epic part of Balto.

Exactly. The original White Wolf was never intended to be Balto's mother, and of course the creators of WQ had to go and ruin that. They had no right to. I'm sticking to the original.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:03 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Rebelness wrote:
Exactly. The original White Wolf was never intended to be Balto's mother, and of course the creators of WQ had to go and ruin that. They had no right to. I'm sticking to the original.

I second that.