Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Animation Source Project - Details and Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:07 am 
Animation Source is my home!

What's the Animation Source Project?

I have always said that 2 sites were already a nightmare to manage. However, I recently changed my mind, because it's not ENTIRELY true : first, I have made a HUGE number of changes to the site code, so that many things are now automated / much easier to use. Second, if there are interfaces to do everything on the site, then I can delegate the management of some parts / sites to some members.

Here comes the Animation Source : I want to do something unique on the web, which is a "hub" where you'll find a DEDICATED site for each film/series (instead of just one page, which is what you usually see on the web - Wikipedia or Keyframe, for example), and that's much more interesting in my point of view, and much more work of course.

So yes, making a Spirit Source, for example, will BE possible soon.

However - NOT everyone OR everything will be accepted.

Why not everyone? Because I want quality over quantity. Not so many members can dedicate enough time AND make something enough serious or "professional-looking". So, I have decided that instead of letting everyone do anything and nothing (especially nothing), I want to strictly control the making process. I want sites up to the "quality" of the current ones.

Why not everything? Because I want to give the "Animation Source" a direction. I want to look further into similar themes, especially western traditional animation, because there are so many films/series that deserve to be part of it. Especially when you're considering that traditional animation really needs all the advertisement it can gets, because it's currently dying slowly, and I just can't accept that.

Then progressively, I *may* open to other types of films/series like anime or CGI...

...But yes, this is subjective. I know many of you are angry about that - but remember I'm doing the biggest part : writing the site code, paying for the server, answering to all the problems, maintaining the sites... So, I believe that the counterpart is that I should still have control on what is done.
If you disagree with that, then...just make your own site! You're on the web, you're free!

Project status

TaleSpin Source was the first site created almost entirely (80%) with the new interface and using the new "engine". Which seems to work pretty successfully, so far :)

There are still many things left I must do :

- Finish the online interface (there are some missing parts : editing sections, rules, links, seeing an automatic "site completion" progress bar, etc...)
- Test it completly, before putting it online.
- Updating BS and LKS to the newest version of the code => This will BE necessary, although a hard task because I will need to make severe changes/moves into the database content. I'm currently maintaining two versions of the sites and I can't do this for long...
- Adding the "Animation Source" site (which will be the "link" between sites)
- Write a complete documentation on how to "build" sites.
- Write the new "staff" system
- Choose members who will

News

29/07/09 : The official contests, which will be used to choose members who will be creating the sites, are now on the site!

Read more about this here :

Contest for the informational/content side : http://baltosource.timduru.org/en/conte ... /1582.html

Contest for the graphical side : http://baltosource.timduru.org/en/conte ... /1578.html

Post subject: Re: Animation Source Project - Site Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 pm 

• Name: Spirit; Stallion of the cimarron.
  • Film or Series: Film
  • General Information: An animated movie about a wild mustang, captured by soldiers and his journey to get back to his herd and his homeland.
  • Owner/Producing company: Dreamworks
  • (If Possible) Link to the film/series Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain,_paint_mare
  • Why should we add it? Despite being not all that old and made by the same people who made The Lion King it didn't become as popular as I expected it would. There are hardly any Spirit fan-sites and those I *have* found were abandoned and old. It's one of the first animated movies to use 3D CGi to make 2D characters. Keeping it looking like a traditional animated film but using a mix of 3D and traditional 2D animation.
    There's also a very strong fan-base on dA with horse artists and a lot of people who like Balto and/or TLK also like Spirit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 pm 

Why do I have the impression this will quickly become a popular topic?...

Quote:
That aside, I'm going to express my concern with the create-a-source bandwagon that has developed over the past weeks. I really don't think this kind of globalization will benefit the already dwindling Balto community. If too many sources are set up, this place will lose its specialization very quickly. Balto was already largely overshadowed by other movies, so if it is thrown into the mixer with other animated movies, I doubt there will be any benefit for Balto as far as a fan base goes.

Well, that only depends on what the focus is on ;) Did Lion King Source overshadowed Balto Source? Not at all (it's even the contrary) Yet it helped bringing new visitors and it gives the TLK fans a good place to live their "fandom".
I think that everyone can benefit about this, actually. Some Talespin fans already said they liked Balto too and will probably participate on both sites.

Don't be afraid of seeing a new site pop-up every day : it's not going to happen. Even with a good interface to simplify the task, it requires a LOT of work to make a site - probably a lot more than everyone think. It's not just making the graphics, it's about bringing a lot of content too - and I'm not going to let a new site being opened until everything has good quality. I'll be very strict about this too - I do not want Freewebs-like sites.
So basically, this means that there won't probably be more than one new site every 6 months, 3 at most. And even if the contributors would work faster, I will not open new sites until there are enough visitors and content posted on the sites already existing.

And I don't think the Balto community is "dwindling" - at least the numbers of visitors are still showing the opposite.

That said - I'm really impatient for this to start and work. But I have still a lot to do - TSS was only the surface of the iceberg...

EDIT : Already two messages posted while I was typing this :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:19 pm 

Stemming from Jersey's suggestion of a Japanese anime, I'd like to suggest one but I must ask, animation is not limited, definition wise, to just animated cartoons, suit animation (common in Japanese culture), Claymation, and even puppets are considered animation. So would a suggestion of a series or film in one of these generes be allowed as a suggestion?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:12 pm 

Godzillawolf wrote:
Stemming from Jersey's suggestion of a Japanese anime, I'd like to suggest one but I must ask, animation is not limited, definition wise, to just animated cartoons, suit animation (common in Japanese culture), Claymation, and even puppets are considered animation. So would a suggestion of a series or film in one of these generes be allowed as a suggestion?

Well, I will have to say "no" : I don't have anything against anime (as I like a lot of japanese films/series myself such as Miyazaki's)

But FOR NOW, I want to restrict to films/series that are closer to the current Source sites. I don't want AS to become a versatile place where there's everything and nothing : I want to give a * direction *.

When AS will be enough popular, and we will have made sites for many films/series in western 2D animation, then I'll open up to other categories of films/series progressively.
Same for 3D films : I'll probably accept them too, but not immediately.
I may even open up for other kind of sites, such as video games...

I still think it's a bit too early for talking about that, and even too early for that topic : wait until there's something really working...I'm setting up everything, then we'll probably make a "real" test with one site (why not Spirit :wink: ) and see how it works. TSS was *MY* test, the next one will be *YOUR* test. I have to finish the interface, then I'll have to write documentations on how to use the interface, then organize contests / or any other way to find who will work on that, etc...

You can still make suggestions here if you want, I don't prevent you - it's quite interesting to see what each one of you would like to see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:20 pm 

Not immediately - but that series Star Blazers DO seem intriguing (I have always like scifi series), so I don't rule out the possibility to do it one day.
Maybe the point of that topic will be to more to share interesting not-well-known films/series, after all :) Because that "forces" you to show the good aspects of the ones you like...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:45 pm 

Name: Odyssey Source (if anyone has better ideas, I'm open)
Film or Series: Adventures in Odyssey
General Information: Based on the widely popular radio program by the same name, Adventures in Odyssey is a family-oriented video series (with the possibility of TV airings). The series centers on the fictional town of Odyssey, and in particular, an ice cream emporium named 'Whit's End', and its proprietor, John Avery Whittaker, who is very much a grandfatherly figure to the ids who come to his shop, notably Dylan, who is the main "child focus" of the series.
Owner/Producing company: Focus on the Family
Link to the film/series Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_in_Odyssey
Why should we add it?: Being that the series is directed toward families, much like Balto and The Lion King, parents will be pleased to allow (if they don't actively encourage!) their kids to frequent such a site. Not only does the series present characters with virtues such as honesty, loyalty, hope, and love, but it also shows kids and adults interacting coherently, rather than the contorted (and often direspectful in both directions) image often held today, in which each age group often looks at the other as a diametrically opposed, and even inherently inferior, group.
Some may be concerned about the fact that the series is Evangelical Christian themed, but from what I have seen of it, most issues are tackled in a way that could be approved by almost any religion, even by atheists (for example, Escape From the Forbidden Matrix encourages kids to spend more time in real life instead of playing video games, and The Last Days of Eugene Meltsner speaks about valuing each day as if it were our last). I think it would be a good experiment to see if a website such as this can handle religious views. After all, there have already been discussions about some borderline-religious topics, such as Christmas, on this site. I don't know how many people will agree with me, but I for one think it's worth suggesting a site about something that really makes a statement. I already suggested this idea to steet, and as expected I was told exactly what he's already said here about needing time. I think it would be worth the wait.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 pm 

Name: The fox and the hound
Film or Series: Film
General Information:
The fox and the hound is a 1981 animated feature film.
Owner/Producing company: Disney
Why should we add it?
Wikipedia page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Hound_(film)
The fox and the hound is a older film that was popular at some point, but seems to have died down. It would be nice to bring back and old Disney classic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:31 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Omg, you know that before this topic was created I was wondering and hoping that some day steet would let us suggest what sites could possibly be made? Lol. And now this came up. P: I have a few.

---

This one I'll post first. For some reason, I really want a Brother Bear Source very badly. Lol. Dunno why.

Name: Brother Bear Source

General Information: Brother Bear is a 2003 American traditionally animated feature produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures, the 44th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics. In the film, an Inuit boy pursues a bear in revenge for a battle that he provoked in which his oldest brother is killed. He tracks down the bear and kills it, but the Spirits, angered by this needless death, change the boy into a bear himself as punishment. Originally titled Bears, it was the third and final Disney animated feature produced primarily by the Feature Animation studio at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida; the studio was shut down in March 2004, not long after the release of this film in favor of computer animated features. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature, but lost against Finding Nemo. A sequel, Brother Bear 2 was released on August 29, 2006.

Link to the film/series Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Bear

Why should we add it? Brother Bear was a classic and wonderful film that is now being forgotten. It deserves to get more attention and live on for everyone to see. It's an inspiring film and all ages love it.

---

Name: Wolf's Rain Source

Film or Series: Series

General Information: Wolf's Rain is an anime series created by writer and story editor Keiko Nobumoto and produced by BONES Studio. The series was directed by Tensai Okamura and featured character designs by Toshihiro Kawamoto with a soundtrack produced and arranged by Yoko Kanno. It focuses on the journey of four lone wolves who cross paths while following the scent of the Lunar Flowers. They form a pack and decide to seek out the Flower Maiden in order to open the way to Paradise. Along the way, they must avoid a fanatical wolf hunter and the nobles who wish to use the Flower Maiden to create their own Paradise.

Wolf's Rain spans twenty-six television episodes and four original video animation episodes, with each episode running approximately twenty-four minutes. The series was originally broadcast in Japan on Fuji TV and the anime CS television network, Animax. The complete thirty episode series is licensed for Region 1 release by Bandai Entertainment, in Region 2 (Europe) by Beez Entertainment and in Region 4 by Madman Entertainment. The series was adapted into a short two-volume manga series written by Keiko Nobumoto and illustrated by Toshitsugu Iida. The manga, which was released while the series was airing, is a retelling of the story rather than a straight adaptation. It was originally serialized in Magazine Z and has been released in North America by Viz Media.

Owner/Producing company: BONES Studio

Link to the film/series Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf's_Rain

Why should we add it? Wolf's Rain is a very interesting series and fun to watch. Fans from all over love to watch the series again and again! It holds excitement, thrills, inspiration, mysteries, love, and much more.

---

Name: Lady and the Tramp Source

General Information: Lady and the Tramp is a 1955 American animated feature film produced by Walt Disney and released to theaters on June 22, 1955 by Buena Vista Distribution. The fifteenth animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series, it was the first animated feature filmed in the CinemaScope widescreen film process. The story centers around a female American Cocker Spaniel named Lady who lives with a refined, upper middle-class family, and a male stray mutt called the Tramp.

Link to the film/series Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_and_the_Tramp

Why should we add it? Lady and the Tramp is a classic and wonderful film that deserves to get more attention and live on for everyone to see. In fact, it's one of Walt Disney's favorite classics. It's an inspiring film and all ages love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:54 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Here's mine :

* Name: The Last Unicorn
* Film or Series: Film
* General Information:

(Copy pasted from Wikipedia)

The Last Unicorn is a 1982 fantasy film produced by Rankin/Bass for ITC Entertainment and animated by Topcraft. The film is based on the novel of the same name written by Peter S. Beagle, who also wrote the film's screenplay. The Last Unicorn is about a unicorn who, upon learning that she is the last unicorn in the world, goes on a quest to find the others.

* Owner/Producing company:
Produced by Rankin/Bass
* Link to the film/series Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Unicorn_(film)
* Why should we add it?

I think it should be added because it deserves more attention because its a wonderful, magical film. I truly and thoroughly enjoyed this film. I love the music, animation and plot. It's an amazing movie for people of all ages...And it truly and honestly should get more attention, of which I really hope it does. ^^

Image(c)Bastet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:53 pm 

*101 Dalmatians
*Film
*General Imformation : [Copy Paste from Wiki]
Pongo is a dalmatian that lives in a London bachelor flat with his owner Roger Radcliffe, a songwriter. Bored with bachelor life, Pongo decides to find a wife for Roger and a mate for himself. While watching various female dog-human pairs out the window, he spots the perfect couple, a woman named Anita and her female dalmatian, Perdita. He quickly gets Roger out of the house and drags him through the park to arrange a meeting. Pongo accidentally causes both Roger and Anita to fall into a pond, but it works out well as the couple falls in love. Both the human couple and the dog couple marry.

Later, Perdita gives birth to 15 puppies. One almost dies, but Roger is able to revive it by rubbing it in a towel (because of which, they would name the pup, 'Lucky'). That same night, they are visited by Cruella De Vil, a wealthy former schoolmate of Anita's. She offers to buy the entire litter of puppies for a large sum, but Roger says they are not selling any of the puppies. Weeks later, she hires Jasper and Horace Badun to steal all of the puppies. When Scotland Yard is unable to prove she stole them or find the puppies, Pongo and Perdita use the "Twilight Bark", normally a canine gossip line, to ask for help from the other dogs in England.

*OwnerCompany : Disney
WikiLink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Hundre ... Dalmatians
*Why we should add it:
Well, it's a classic, many people enjoyed this for years, it's a children's movie, and making a site could bring back memories and help people remember this classical, wonderful film.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:40 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Name: Secret of NIMH

General Information: Ms. Brisby, a widowed field mouse, goes on a journey to save her children, one of which cannot travel due to pneumonia, from the farmer's field plow.

Owner/Producing company: Don Bluth Productions

Link to the film/series Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_nimh

Why should we add it? Original and different, Don Bluth is well known as one of the most recognized animators of his time, separating from Disney in the 80s after being frustrated that the company's reluctance to produce more full length animated films. The film introduces more lesser known animal characters not used as much as others (horses, wolves, dogs etc, vs this movie's mice, rats, owls and crows) and has an original imaginative story that ranges from children to adults, and should have more of a fan-base.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next