Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Alpha and Omega
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:44 am 
Advanced
Advanced

Juuchan pretty much summed it all up, but I'm gonna throw in my two cents as well.

*WARNING: SPOILERS*

I gotta say that I was also pleasantly surprised at this movie. Some of the stuff I was worried about at first either turned out to be the opposite or weren't an issue due to the story so I'm pretty glad I remained optimistic.

Story

Rather than having just one centralized plot-line throughout the whole movie, this movie was actually the combination of multiple stories into one big adventure/mystery where everything was connected and important to the progression of events, so I give it massive props for creativity. It starts of with the pups growing up and wanting more freedom (particularly Runt) while the parents are divided in giving them this freedom so it's got a "coming of age" aspect. Then it turns into one of those classic "haunted house that everyone gossips about and avoids" spook stories with the introduction of the cave and Tony's back story to it, which brings in a new aspect to the story with the two wolves he was with returning to the cave to find out the mystery for themselves, although this part wasn't all that important compared to the others. The mystery to the cave, in turn helps the coming of age aspect because it becomes the main point behind Runt's character development. Then when the mystery is revealed it makes a whole new turn and becomes a story about a troubled past and the search for the answers to that past, which explains the spooky mystery aspect. The explanation for the ghost was pretty cliche, but this was one instance where it actually worked. I also thought Daria's story could have been something Disney would have done. Although I hated how the fate of Daria's pack after the "leader" was swept away at the end was just ignored.

Characters

As stated by Juuchan, this movie was all Runt and his and Daria's aspects of the story gave him great character development. Daria was also a great character and her back story makes you feel a bit sad for her but it, and her journey with Runt shows how strong her willpower is. Humphrey is the parent that wants to let this kids grow up and have their freedom, but goes out of his way to look out for them when they get in any situations. The same can be said for Kate except she's the protective mother instead, so they serve as a pretty good example of the differing parents. Tony helped provide the back story to the legend of the cave and Winston was there mainly to question the validity of his story so their roles were fairly small, but important nonetheless. Lilly, Marcel, and Paddy should not have been in this movie because they didn't do anything (Humphrey could have easily done Lilly's part). I just wish they had put some more focus on the members of Daria's pack, especially their leader.

Everything Else

The animation seemed to be a little better, at least for me, but I'm sure others won't see any difference. Same position as Juuchan regarding the music. The fighting, chasing, and dramatic scenes were still pretty lame, but the story line made up for it. I didn't have any problems with the voice acting.

This movie is definitely the better sequel out of all the A&O sequels. So glad most of my initial expectations turned out to be wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:53 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Eyyup just watched the Sawtooth Cave sequel and it was actually good! After finding myself enjoying the Wolf Games sequel I was more optimistic about this sequel and I'm happy with the way it turned out. (: They made a very likeable storyline this time and I'm glad we got to see much more of the original characters. The new characters were interesting too and I really liked them.
And oh lord- all the "adult" references! The jokes in this film were actually funny to me and a cool touch that wasn't really found in the other films. I was surprised that the writers put in some of the jokes they did but it's a pleasant kind of surprise, and if they make further sequels I would love to see more of that.
All in all it was a very enjoyable 45 minutes and I'm really glad this story had a nicely defined start to finish. This sequel came a long way from the first sequel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:34 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Wow, this topic is DED when there's no new "Alpha & Omega" movies out... Anywho, here's some news that I learned about, in case you've missed it:

- The next "sequel", "Family Vacation" will supposedly be out in August 2015. It apparently got a TV showing in Mexico last month [March], but I read that on Wikipedia, so it may or may not be true. Not sure what else the film itself will be, but I bet we'll get a trailer and/or sneak peek in the next couple of months.

- Probably the biggest news is that "Family Vacation" will not be the end of the adventures for Kate, Humphrey and the pups! Here's the article from KidScreen earlier this month:

Quote:
Alpha and Omega are set to bound into new adventures, following a partnership between Splash Entertainment and Lionsgate that will see three new animated films based on the wolf-driven franchise start hitting the market next year.

With the first film set for an early 2016 release, the 45-minute movies will follow the misadventures of Alpha Kate and Omega Humphrey and their three wolf pups, Claudette, Stinky and Runt, as they learn life lessons in the great outdoors.

Under the terms of the deal, Lionsgate will distribute the three films in the US, Canada and the UK, while Splash Entertainment will handle international distribution in other territories.

Executive producers overseeing the production are Ken Katsumoto, EVP of Lionsgate Family Entertainment, and Liz Young, president of Splash Entertainment.

Lionsgate launched the original Alpha and Omega feature film in 2010, which grossed more than US$50 million at the worldwide box office. Since then, the franchise has expanded to include several direct-to-home entertainment sequels, including Alpha And Omega 2: A Howl-iday Adventure, Alpha and Omega 3: The Great Wolf Games and Alpha And Omega: The Legend of Saw Tooth Cave.

The next film in the franchise Alpha And Omega: Family Vacation is scheduled for release in August.

Splash Entertainment created a feature film division last September. Its newest productions include an animated family film Norm of the North and the miniseries movies Kulipari: Army of Frogs.

Unfortunately, this means that the previous production company, Nest Entertainment [and its former Disney animator director, Richard Rich] are out. This just makes the release of "Family Vacation" seem bittersweet in a way. However, I am hoping that the new company, Splash Entertainment [I've never heard of them, but I bet I can look them up!], can continue the legacy and hopefully improve the series. They can honestly only go up from where they've already been, right?

So, thoughts? Comments? Hopes or worries? Let's discuss!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:13 am 
Advanced
Advanced

(Have not been on here in several months. My how things have changed!)

Quote:
With the first film set for an early 2016 release........ The next film in the franchise Alpha And Omega: Family Vacation is scheduled for release in August.

Um........huh?

I honestly don't know what to think or how to feel about all this. On one hand I'm glad that the franchise is being continued, being that I absolutely loved the first movie and the most recent sequel was the best one so far, but on the other hand I'm not overly thrilled about it since the other sequels were pretty disappointing. I would say my expectations for this next movie are below Sawtooth Cave, but above the others

Juuchan17 wrote:
Unfortunately, this means that the previous production company, Nest Entertainment [and its former Disney animator director, Richard Rich] are out. This just makes the release of "Family Vacation" seem bittersweet in a way. However, I am hoping that the new company, Splash Entertainment [I've never heard of them, but I bet I can look them up!], can continue the legacy and hopefully improve the series.

And this is why what I just said goes the same way for the change of the production companies. This could potentially make the series better since Nest Entertainment didn't make many changes to make the sequels better, so Splash may be more willing to switch things up after learning from Nest's mistakes. But at the same time the producers at Nest were the ones that knew pretty much everything about the franchise so Splash may end up going through the grueling process of having to figure the series out on their own by creating their own style, which; as some AS users know; have ruined some great franchises.

Juuchan17 wrote:
They can honestly only go up from where they've already been, right?

To put it simply, wrong!

My advice; hope for the best, expect the worst.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:38 am 
Famous one
Famous one

WolfTrain4014 wrote:
Um........huh?

I honestly don't know what to think or how to feel about all this. On one hand I'm glad that the franchise is being continued, being that I absolutely loved the first movie and the most recent sequel was the best one so far, but on the other hand I'm not overly thrilled about it since the other sequels were pretty disappointing. I would say my expectations for this next movie are below Sawtooth Cave, but above the others

I'm not really too thrilled about this fourth sequel, though we do have DVD box art and a few noticeable returning characters [mainly Fleet and I think Brent from "The Great Wolf Games", who, surprisingly enough, are voiced by the same person]. Release date is supposedly August 4, 2015 [according to Amazon].

Ugh... I really wish they'd get some new art of Kate for these covers. Every cover she's on [save for the original movie's DVD/Bluray] is basically her stock character vector... and it's boring. Heck, Humphrey has more expressive vectors than she does. Needs more Daria though [because she's not in this movie and that makes me sad.].

Oh, and there's finally a trailer too. I'm not sure how promising it is, but I think I like where it's going:

My thoughts: [Read after watching the trailer]
Hidden text : click to show

So... what do you think of Nest Entertainment's final piece in the Alpha and Omega saga? Early reviews seem positive and good, so that's something. Let's discuss!

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:52 am 

This autumn Alpha and Omega will be 5 year old.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Elliotdragon wrote:
This autumn Alpha and Omega will be 5 year old.

Wow... and to think it's got four more movies on its belt, and at least three more in the future!

Anywho, just letting curious people know that the 5th film, "Alpha and Omega: Family Vacation" is officially out on DVD [and for download on Amazon, iTunes, etc.]. It's also in Redbox kiosks with the 3rd film, "The Great Wolf Games" [which makes sense, since Brett and Fleet are in both films; gives some context to him before you see the new movie, right?], for the price of a single rental, which isn't a bad deal. I actually plan on checking it out this week, so expect a review by this weekend!

- Juuchan17

EDIT: 8/6/15 - So... I rented that two-sequel DVD from Redbox and just finished watching it... I think I want my money back and my 40 minutes.

I'm not saying that it was all completely BAAAAAD, per se, but was it better than "Howl-iday Adventure"?

Just to discuss most things, I'll put Spoiler Tags up... because I go into MAJOR SPOILERS.

STORY:

CHARACTERS:
It's the same characters we know and love... I guess?

ANIMATION:

VOICE WORK and MUSIC:

OVERALL:

FINAL VERDICT:
If you want a good "Alpha and Omega" movie, just watch the original... or movie 4. Both of those are much better than this one, in my opinion. "Family Vacation" is basically a skippable mess... just very bad. I hate to say don't watch it... but yeah, it's not worth the cost of admission.

If anyone else sees it, I'm curious to hear your opinions about Richard Rich's final dive into the "Alpha and Omega" franchise and what you think this will do to the future of the series.

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:00 pm 

I love this movie though my conservative family thought it was blasphemous to named any movie much less about wild wolves/ dogs Alpha and Omega. What surprised my family most was that most of them are Mormons and the director/ writer is Mormon, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:20 am 
Famous one
Famous one

Whoops, time to revive a dead topic with some news - the last of this series is out and honestly, GOOD RIDDANCE.

So, back in my last review in 2015, I discussed the 5th and last "film" of the series by Richard Rich's Nest Entertainment, "Family Vacation". I thought it couldn't get any worse...

That is... until Splash Entertainment came in and completed the series in 2017 with 3 lackluster short films that are wacky, nonsensical and add a bunch of unnecessary situations for this Alpha & Omega family.

I won't give these a big review, but I can share the cover arts, a link to purchase or watch on Amazon, and a brief synopsis for you:

Also, I swear, I am not making any of this up. These are actually real.

Kate & Humphrey move to a man-made area filled with caves as a way to protect their pups, but the pups make a new friend in Amy, who happens to be a purple dinosaur. Crazy acid-trip shenanigans ensue.

The pups worry about their parents on a hunting trip when a snowstorm hits hard, so naturally they defy their grandparents and escape the safety of their cave to brave the winter wilds and bring their parents home safely. Stinky plays a major "leading" role here, and it's apparently been a year since the events of "Howl-liday Adventure"... yet the pups still look like pups. (Give the Balto sequels some credit - at least they DID AGE UP their puppies!)

Um, royal bears are a thing now...? Like, they're higher than wolves are, for some reason. Also, rogue wolves are still dumb. A lot of stupid shenanigans happen and the series ends AT LAST.

I will just say... these three "films" add next to NOTHING, save for a couple of one-off characters and settings that are a bit interesting. These aren't worth your time, except if you really want something quick to riff on with your friends.

If anything, the original film still holds up as something better than these... and I'll continue to stick with that.

Have any of you seen these 3 yet? What did you think about them compared to the "Nest" sequels?

- Juuchan17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:44 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Oi, yeah, Alpha & Omega turned into complete crap with all the rest of the sequels. I don’t know if I’ve seen all of them- can’t really remember because they bored me so badly that I just had it play in the background (pretty sure I saw the first two and not the last of those three). It’s so sad when companies spit out bad sequel after bad sequel for profit. They’ll never make the profit they hope for because their reputation was ruined for a while now. I can’t see why people would think short effortless sequels would ever be a good idea.

Good riddance indeed. :(

Funny how I was just randomly thinking of the first film today too and how much I loved it. The sequels will never bring that same joy, lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22