=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 3D animation?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:33 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I know I know!
Think about it, though - Once you model, rig, and texture a character, everything else becomes a matter of just learning how to animate them in a way that's not awkward or silly looking (Which is even more difficult to do with traditional animation.)
The characters can be easily shared among many people without the need for a model sheet, and animations in a format that can be revised and edited sent back to the lead artist.

If anything, a 3D model based on the character model can be used as a figure for which one can experiment with different poses and actions, simply by playing with the rigging for it.
You can trace the 3D model as well, then make necessary adjustments for what the 3D model might be lacking (Details around the eyes, hair, etc)

I might suggest Blender3D, it's free, and powerful, and efficient once you learn to use it (Video tutorials are a must!)

Post subject: Re: 3D animation?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:55 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

Mmm. Well the thing is, even CGI animated characters/films are based on 2D drawn modelsheets (as far as I know) and there's a reason for that : it's much easier to do and gives more freedom.

CGI is WAAAYYY too complex for people like us. And I'm not even talking about GOOD CGI.

I understand what you mean, but to me it's a no.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:47 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Would you still consider the use of a 3D model as a on-model equivalent of a clay character?
I figure that making a full CGI film would be difficult, very very difficult, so I just suggest that the model be used an adjustable reference that can be posed

You would make the 3D model using 2D drawings.
Once done, though, you can use the 3D model as a guide for producing 2D drawings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm sure that 3D model is be useful and nice - if it's HQ.
The question is- do we have 3D modelers who can model characters practically totally as they appear in 2D and good?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I haven't used blender in a while, but what I generally do is take two model images, a front and a side projection, set those two images as a background on two different cameras, and simply conform the model to that, adding vertices only where needed.

I still have trouble with rigging, and the complicated facial expressions found in characters would be a little too complex to reproduce with a rig I think.

However, even a static model, maybe even just one with a very simple rig to pose the main parts of the body would be handy.

I'll give it a shot, but it'll probably be untextured as that's yet another thing I have to learn.

Does anyone have a good model reference of a character looking straight sideways, and another straight at the viewer?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 am 
Advanced
Advanced

I might as well try and give this a shot. I've successfully made two animate-able characters already. I'll start planning out Kit or Baloo to model and rig. If that goes well it could be of some use to the project.

Weylin, as far as I know the official modelsheets don't have the exact views you are looking for.

http://animationarchive.net/TV/Series/TaleSpin/Model Sheets/index.php

From 0x7b's "107 TaleSpin Links" Article

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:29 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I happen to know that there are people who are trying to turn Little Dragon's Star Fox (Krystal) into Rebecca. One of them can be found at http://knight217.deviantart.com/art/Reb ... -300548637 The picture's a bit out of date, but at least it gives you a glimpse of what it looks like.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:54 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I suppose this is probably the best time to admit that I have been 'messing around' with 3D modeling for a while now, and continue the quest to make a good Kit character. With every new iteration he looks a bit better, and I'm now coming to a point where I can almost say I've finished him.

The problem is the hair, oddly enough. His forelock sticking out from the cap is a bit of a bother to model and still make it look good. Unlike some models I've seen, I shudder at the thought of flat fur without depth or contrast, so I've spent quite some time painstakenly creating displacement maps to go with the diffuse UV map which, in itself, was a bit of an undertaking.

I might post a few samples soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Kitckicker wrote:
I suppose this is probably the best time to admit that I have been 'messing around' with 3D modeling for a while now, and continue the quest to make a good Kit character. With every new iteration he looks a bit better, and I'm now coming to a point where I can almost say I've finished him.

The problem is the hair, oddly enough. His forelock sticking out from the cap is a bit of a bother to model and still make it look good. Unlike some models I've seen, I shudder at the thought of flat fur without depth or contrast, so I've spent quite some time painstakenly creating displacement maps to go with the diffuse UV map which, in itself, was a bit of an undertaking.

I might post a few samples soon.

Well, maybe you can take another approach. Have you tried making the hair a separate prop/object?

Also, do you have any plan to release a Poser (cr2) version? I mess around with DAZ Studio for fun, and the only format that can be imported and posed correctly are poser cr2 characters.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:22 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

I've been working a bit more on the model, and managed to get to some form of acceptable compromise. Not entirely happy with it yet, but it's looking more and more like a 3D version of Kit.

I've done it entirely in Daz 4.0.x, I find it much easier to work with for character modeling than any other package. Carrarra is the exception, but I just do not have the patience to scratch build something in that environment, only to find out it's out of scale in other programs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:12 pm 

I still think that even with the best efforts, it's impossible to match the quality of drawn art with CGI (and I have never seen it happen so far)
But I'd still like to see some pics of what you've been able to come up with?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:03 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Posting my approximations in a folder. Never uploaded anything to this site before, so here goes :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 am 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Well, uploaded my pictures thirteen hours ago, still nothing showing. Had a message from a mod saying I'd posted them in the wrong section and I asked them to be moved. No reply since.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:58 pm 

That wasn't me, but you need to re-send them to fanarts. (no automatic move to another category possible)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 pm 
Newcomer
Newcomer

steet wrote:
Mmm. Well the thing is, even CGI animated characters/films are based on 2D drawn modelsheets (as far as I know) and there's a reason for that : it's much easier to do and gives more freedom.

CGI is WAAAYYY too complex for people like us. And I'm not even talking about GOOD CGI.

I understand what you mean, but to me it's a no.

If you have a physical object like an action figure, it is possible to scan them into your computer. One way to do so is to use Maker Scanner, which requires a Playstation eye and a laser pointer, but you can search for other ways online. VI3DIM has you put it on a sheet of paper with a special checkerboard on it and rotate the paper in front of a web cam. The catch is that the VI3DIM isn't free. I'm thinking about scanning some of the toys I bought new recently, but I'm still waiting on the laser pointer.

Of course, I'd probably need to clean the model up after scanning to fix any issues, including separating the fingers on both hands and rigging the figures once I scan them. There are probably some tutorials on youtube I could look up.