Comparisons between these two villains
There is no doubt that this topic has already been brought up before, but I'd thought I'd bring it up again.
I've seen many reviwers of WQ say that the makers ripped off Steele, made him a wolf and called him Niju. Sure they are comparable, but I think they are completely different characters, and Niju is not so much a ripoff as he is a homage to Steele.
* They are both the villain. They have three underdogs (or wolves) who ditch them in the end.
* They both have a prejudice against Balto because he is part wolf/husky.
* Their personalities are very different. Steele is vain, sly and always gets what he wants. He thinks himself as a real 'ladies dog.' Niju, however is bad-tempered, and fiercely loyal. He's not really 'evil' because he is just afraid of change. I think he is a good guy at heart.
* Steele is top dog, whilst Niju remains a wannabe leader.
* Steele doesn't have a chin abscess! LOL
* Niju is a more understandable character than Steele. What Steele did was just mean, whilst Niju had a reason.
I can see why so many people find these two comparable (I certainly can!) but I think it's going to far to say that Niju was a ripoff. He, and his three underlings are tributes to the original, and made WQ a great sequel (In my opinion).