Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RP RULES! Read before posting! [Updated Oct. 29, 2009]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:18 am 
Animation Source is my home!

*update 13th of October 2009*: Please review these rules once again.

Here are a few rules you should respect before taking part in a roleplaying game [Updated by Rusty the Fox, shown in colour RED] [and by Aniu Caelestis in PURPLE] :

"Advanced Roleplays"
New advanced roleplays, as of 16. October 2007, must have [Advanced] in its title, and the beginning post of the topic must have a plot on two paragraphs or more, and the post itself should have a pre-made bio form, and a list of joined characters.
(This "rule" is subject to change. PM Wolflux about it if you would like to suggest changes to it)

What kind of roleplays is allowed on Balto/TLK Roleplaying?
Roleplays in Balto/TLK Roleplaying is required to be Balto or The Lion King-related. If not, it must be wolf- or lion-related, at least!

Post Length
Posts need to be a minimum of 4 sentences or at least 2 lines of text on the normal forum window. This is reasonable enough, especially as this is not the rp shout box. For private role-plays, this length is not necessarily required at the moment, as generally there are only two role-players and circumstances are usually decidedly different than in public role-plays.
Members not following this rule has become been an issue for the forums. If such activity is going on, a Mod will lock the topic on sight. If your topic gets locked, the creator can PM the mods and ask for their topic to be unlocked in the exchange that every future post made in the topic follows this rule. If the topic is lock for a second time because of this same issue, a Mod will lock on sight and there will not be any way to have it unlocked again.

Controlling Characters
You have but one character to control in any given roleplay: Your own. Do not attempt to dictate the actions of another person’s character. If you need another character to do something in order to progress your character’s story or some such, send them a PM or use OOC. Nobody likes to have somebody else controlling their character’s actions or speech, so don’t do it without first consulting the person in question.

RolePlays belong to their Creator
When a person starts a RolePlay, they usually have an idea of what they want to happen throughout the course of the story and it’s ending. They have the right to decide where their RolePlay is going, so if the starter of a RolePlay asks the participant to do something to progress the story the way he wants it, do it. A RolePlay belongs to the person who started it, so they get power over what happens in it.

Keeping track of the Storyline
Actually read other people’s posts in a RolePlay. It’s just plain annoying when somebody doesn’t pay attention to what others are saying, because it can disrupt the flow of the story or cause confusion when posts clash with each other.

Out of Character Discussion
Out of Character Discussion is an acceptable and useful way of discussing things that need to happen in a RolePlay. A good story needs at least some discussion in order to work properly, otherwise nobody is sure where exactly the RolePlay is heading or what is meant to be happening. Use OOC or PMs to work out what needs to be done to get the RolePlay going successfully.

Signatures in a RolePlay
Sigs are unsightly in RolePlays. So in the interests of making it easier for people to read a RolePlay, please turn off your sig when posting. Just use the ‘Post Reply’ button, or edit your post after you make it. But just leaving your sig on neither looks good, nor assists your fellow RPers in reading the story as it unfolds.

Asterisks to denote Actions
Using asterisks to designate your actions is no good. *Your character’s Action* is just bad RPing form. A RolePlay is a story written by all its participants, a story like any book might have.

Quotation Marks
Use them. It only takes an extra couple of keystrokes to enclose any spoken text in quotation marks, yet it makes it infinitely easier to understand. Especially when people seem unable to use the ‘Enter’ key, and thus all their text is in one giant block.

General Punctuation
Use of periods (.) commas (,) quotation marks (“) capital letters (ABCD etc…) and paragraphs (created by using the handy ‘Enter’ key) is something that everybody should become familiar with. Please make note of this, it makes life easier for all other who are trying to read your posts.

Here are a few additions, specifically for the private sections:

1. A private role-play is one in which no more than 3 players are involved. This does NOT mean that the rules fly out the windows and anything goes, and creating one is certainly not the OK to put R-rated content into them.

2. No role-play (private or public) may have any description whatsoever of sexual intercourse (i.e. mating, cybering, yiffing, etc.) or heavy discussion of that subject for any reason. The closest you may come to describing that act of intercourse is given in the following example:

Sanguinaria gazed up at Neji, smiling at him. "Don't you think it's time we had children of our own, like Sacha has? I wouldn't mind seeing a few more smiling faces around here. It gets lonely with just the five of us." Neji grinned in response to her and nodded. "I've been thinking the same thing. A few more bodies around here would be nice." He tipped his head in the direction of their den, and they both padded off together, happily.

The next morning, Sanguinaria stirred next to her beloved, and licked him on the ear. It flicked casually, but he remained asleep and she chuckled. She couldn't believe it; soon she'd finally be a mother! She wondered what her own mother, Yuna, would say if she could see her now.

That is the absolute worst it can be as far as details go, and you see how innocent that is.

3. Mention of intercourse is only allowed in role-play for the purpose of procreation (i.e. having a baby, litter of pups, etc.) and even then, discussion must be light and as innocent as possible. See the light discussion in my example post above.

4. In addition to this if you must make them, such mentions even for procreation's sake, are only allowed ONCE per role-play topic, and should only be to advance the real plot/story! There may be exceptions to this rule, and those will be handled in a case-by-case manner. Your role-plays shouldn't just be about that kind of drama and/or having people constantly getting pregnant. That is not appropriate for this website and that drama is best left for the real world or somewhere else.

5. The creator of the topic must notify me if such a mention is to occur, so that I may keep track for rule number 4. Again, exceptions might sparingly be made on the amount in certain cases, but that will be left up to my discretion.

6. If your role-play is caught disregarding any of these, or the rest of the rules for the role-play section (excluding post length, which I will still generously ignore for now for the same reason I gave earlier) it will be locked under the same conditions I have specified for public role-plays. If the above 5 rules were broken in a serious enough manner, however, the role-play in question will be locked permanently with not possibility of being unlocked. In addition, if you see any role-play breaking any of these or the other rules, please report it to me immediately.

Things that are allowed (to eliminate confusion):

-light descriptions of kissing
-hugging
-light flirting
-light romance
-basically anything that would be allowed in a G/PG rated Disney movie.

If it will make a young child (5-10) start asking their parents uncomfortable questions, it's not allowed here.

These rules are subject to change, like all the rest on the site.

Advices : (written by Nighteyes)

- Understanding of the plot. You will not get anywhere if there is no set plotline or storyline. Have an idea on a major conflict, and other things to keep your players busy and thinking.

- The ability to collaborate with the other players outside the rp via IM.
This helped bundles as it allows you all to talk about what their characters are going to want to do and how to mix it in smooth. Take me and Eagle_205 for example.. He and I are constantly IM'n each other about the "Ghost white..." rp. We have come up with so many ideas for our characters and plots, that it has turned out the way is has.

- Posting in proper grammar.
Take your time to spellcheck and do a quick grammar scan. Nobody expects perfect perfect, but trying to be as good as you can will show drastically.

- Use more thought. I know that when you are not in school, it can be hard to switch on your noggins. If all your brains were good for was for use in school, then you will have trouble later on. The more yhou tax your head with thought and ideas, the better it will be...I can assure that.

- Think ahead a couple posts as to how others will react to your post..(again, IM'n the other players will help you gauge this.)

- Try to keep all OOC comments to a PM or IM session. Again, wash rinse and repeat.

Now that you've read all the rules (if you've really read them :roll: ), you can start posting!

Last edited by Anayu on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:31 am, edited 9 times in total.
Update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:39 pm 
Living here
Living here

Oky doki, and I think also that if somebody asks a question to a character people should wait until that person answears it unless the person who is supposed to answear the question is been gone for a while, and making apropiate characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:02 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

i agree.they should.i agree Silver.and ok steet i`ll turn mi sig off..

Amazing Userbars by Bastet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:11 am 

I agree that members use PM's,rather than OOC,in that way there's more room for posting the RP. :D

Sig by Moki

I'm offering NO argument to any Animation Sourcer -Celtic Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:14 am 
Young pup

i also agree to all of theses rules and thats all i thin i have to say so thank you steet for making htis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:43 am 

Pitbull Husky wrote:
i also agree to all of theses rules and thats all i thin i have to say so thank you steet for making htis

Well you should respect this :
General Punctuation
Use of periods (.) commas (,) quotation marks (“) capital letters (ABCD etc…) and paragraphs (created by using the handy ‘Enter’ key) is something that everybody should become familiar with. Please make note of this, it makes life easier for all other who are trying to read your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:06 pm 
Young pup

Okay sorry for that mistake i will change that right away. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:28 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Hmmm...theres just a problem..I can't use IM....Im not allowed....(grrr).....so just saying that not everybody can use IM...but Im probally the only one.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:33 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Even if you don't have IM abilities, you can always PM back and forth your ideas. That's what LoneWolfFanWriter and I have done with the rp In the Name of Aniu (even though it's kind of inactive right now.) Just trying to help you out a little. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:54 pm 
Famous one
Famous one

Aniu_blade wrote:
Even if you don't have IM abilities, you can always PM back and forth your ideas. That's what LoneWolfFanWriter and I have done with the rp In the Name of Aniu (even though it's kind of inactive right now.) Just trying to help you out a little. :)

I know, and thanks. But not everyone that is in the rp thinks it is a good idea. But hey...I guess people want their discussion clear and fast. I guess people think that pming is like emailing which can be "blind". (quote from NE) :lol: Because you don't know when the person will respond. :lol: But I just kinda go with the flow for now and I try not to get dramatic because of my "handicap". No joking. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:47 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

ok i understand must turn off sig! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:21 pm 

one more thing, does the creator have the right to tell a person that they can't join? just curious.

I gave up everything sane a while ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:48 pm 
Living here
Living here

Kari wrote:
one more thing, does the creator have the right to tell a person that they can't join? just curious.

DÖH! Of course you can say NO if someone who you dont want to join joins. Even I have done same (in Quiet Wind I threw some ppl out leaving only two LOL I done it so that it dont get stuck...but one of the member haven't been on lately so it is stuck Å_Å)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:07 pm 

ok, thanks Pirkka. my sister is bugging me :roll:

I gave up everything sane a while ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:20 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

No its not fair! she just wont let me join because i post 4 sentences and cause im her sisteer!