Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Epic Mickey : Steampunk Disney game???
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 pm 
Animation Source is my home!

Read this :

http://kotaku.com/5325198/this-looks-li ... isney-game

If we were in April, I would have said this was an April fool joke, but it definitely looks real.
Warren Spector, the developers of Deus Ex, are apparently working on making a game named "Epic Mickey", which is a "steampunk" game mixed with Disney characters...

Now THAT'S something unexpected :shock: :shock: :shock:

I must say I'm a bit disappointed to see the Disney "universe" being treated like this, but if this is a way to bring back the focus on them...I say "go for it".

In any case, I'm very much looking forward the result!

What's your opinion?

Post subject: Re: Steampunk Disney game???
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 pm 

I don't know what Steampunk is, but you're right about one thing: it doesn't have that Disney look.

Sig and userbars created by Bastet :spiderman:
Body piercing saved my life
my-book-t30672.html Click here

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:07 pm 
Living here
Living here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

I didn't know what steampunk means either. Apparently it refers to the era of the steam engine. I don't know about this game. I mean, there was Kingdom Hearts. I never would have thought that Final Fantasy + Disney would make a good game, that is until I actually played KH. Didn't play too much, but it was a decent game. I take that to mean we ought to hold our breath for this one and give it the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:12 am 

Kingdom Hearts is obviously a "must-do", at least the first one (I don't like the fact they're milking the same worlds over and over when so many more could be made, this is getting on my nerves).

KH already was more "serious/dark" than the Disney universe in general (which is MEANT to be fun), but THAT game is going much farther...

About the word, I think Final fantasy 7 can be described as "steampunk" or "cyberpunk" too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:35 am 
Living here
Living here

Woaw...Er....Just like Dragon Tamer said, It does not have the Disney look....

Hell, Kingdom Hearts had this dark thing to it but they still gave it a Disney look. This game in My opinion is going to be more of a T rated or Even M rated game. Unless it's just like Tim Burton's kind of movies were it looks scary and yet still for the whole Family.
In truth, I'm speechless and I really don't know what to say....(The goofy Picture is rather...L'unno, Disterbing in my Opinion...-shrugs-) But I might give it a try if it comes out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 am 
Advanced
Advanced

So I saw this topic a few days ago, I looked at the pictures, read the comments, and did analysis of the article and I have to say. I want this game! this is a very unique direction for Disney to go in while not all that surprising. Not that anyone saw this coming but Disney has never really laid any ground work for the video games they create so a steampunk game was entirely feasible; however, bizarre. Disney is a company like any other that knows if you want to draw an audience you have be unique while not drifting to far from the standard (which is why every other game that come out is an FPS). People of all ages know and are familiar with Disney characters, but those of us how play video games see them, I believe, a little differently especially after KH. The environments shown in the concept art look massive and enveloping and hopefully the game that is produced will retain the Disney magic while completely changing our perspective on our most beloved Disney characters. I have the utmost faith in Disney to produce a quality product and I kind of hope we see some more from the game soon.

[Update] so I did a little more snooping around and found an interesting story of a vision Walt Disney had while he was still alive [Note this is a tad morbid and a little scary to think it came from Walt Disney so I'm putting up spoiler tags]

Hidden text : click to show

Now I don't know if this has anything to do with the game but it defiantly has that darker edge to it and the only picture of any Mickey like creature appears to be fairly horrifying and my first guess when looking at it is as a possible enemy. It seem the farther you dig the more grotesque the rumors behind this game get and the artwork only seems to magnify the feeling.

Now I do know for a fact the game was hinted at to be a Wii title, it wasn't a ringing confirmation like I would have liked but nothing about this game is set in stone.

All I can say for now is I can't wait till we get more info cause I'm watching this like a hawk till it comes to realization.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:35 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

New Information released.

It's not confirmed as a Wii exclusive title and may be cross platform. It will utilized a "paintbrush" game mechanic. Also it's got a release time of Fall 2010.

Additionally there was a leak on story details, It is supposedly a story of Disney's "lost" characters now tired of watching Mickey get all the spotlight so they turn against him. The locales apparently will feature Disney rides and attractions that where more obscure and less popular than the ones everyone knows.

This game just keeps getting better and better!

Game Informer November has all the news.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/ ... ealed.aspx

I'm defiantly going to keep watch over this game till it comes out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:24 am 

So am I. And adding to this : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=28854

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:40 am 

There are new things on the game :

http://gameinformer.com/mag/mickey.aspx

Watch that video with artworks and music from the game :

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2009/10/15/the-art-of-epic-mickey.aspx

Wow, I love the music : awesome!
It looks like one ennemy from the game will be Oswald, the lucky rabbit (and if you don't know who that is, check that!)

Another one :

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2009/10/12/sketching-mickey-the-time-lapse-video.aspx

Doesn't that boss looks like Hades from Hercules?

Seriously, that's typically the kind of games I've been waiting for years. I'm already considering buying a Wii for that game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:50 am 

Togo wrote:
No PC release I see... Too bad, it means I won't play it.

You can't expect every game to span on all platforms. On the contrary, I prefer when a game focuses its release on one specific platform, because they exploit it much more. And if the games are the same on every machine, what's the point? It's very rare nowadays that a game is released on one console only (save from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo games of course), and I see that as a quality.

I wouldn't mind getting the Wii for this, of course that's not the only one on the machine that interests me but definitely a game that would push me to get it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:10 pm 

I have posted a big news on the Animation Source main page, with scans of actual gameplay of the game :

http://www.animationsource.org/hub/en/comments/Epic_Mickey_Kingdom_hearts_and_Snow_Whit/2613.html#news

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am 
Advanced
Advanced

steet wrote:
I have posted a big news on the Animation Source main page, with scans of actual gameplay of the game :

http://www.animationsource.org/hub/en/comments/Epic_Mickey_Kingdom_hearts_and_Snow_Whit/2613.html#news

Thanks for the article and screens Steet. This game is taking a form different from the one I had originally envisioned and to think we're still a year away from it's release means that there's still a year to polish and refine everything. This game defiantly goes on the list of most anticipated games of 2010. I think the good/bad choice system is an interesting one to incorporate and hopefully it won't be purely a left-right distinction in what counts as good and what counts as bad.