Animation Source Forums

=> Visit the Animation Source fansites!

Read the site rules!

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Balto on YouTube.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:43 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

I'm completely bummed that the Balto movies got taken off YouTube. I've searched for months and months but all I've found are AMVs. The main reason I want to see them on YouTube is not only to watch them but download it as well with sites like Ripzor/KeepVid so I can make Balto AMVs of my own. I have the DVD of the first Balto movie but my disc tray is destroyed so I can't copy it to my hard drive. Also, I refuse to download from torrents and normally go for Rapidshare and Megaupload cause I like files in zip or rar formats. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for copyright. It's just that I'd like to make some fan vids but have no clips of them. I've got a good deal of songs for Balto vids, I just don't have the clips. Sorry guys, but I don't know what section to put this in. I'd be very grateful is someone could send me at least the first Balto (I own the DVD) on something that is NOT a torrent. Again, I mean no copyright infringement, just harmless fan activity.

Thanks, KurtmanJP.

BTW, most of the songs I use in AMVs are extremely obscure out-of-print stuff.

Post subject: Re: Balto on YouTube.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:05 am 
Animation Source is my home!

Quote:
I'm completely bummed that the Balto movies got taken off YouTube.

I didn't exactly knew that some people posted the entire film there (but I'm not very surprised) Although I am more surprised that the guys at Universal haven't forgotten it when they looked for pirate content. Sounds like a good news to me, this means they are still considering it...
On the fact that the film was uploaded there, I'm shared : it can see as a good thing if you consider it can advertise it, and as a bad thing because many people won't buy the film because they can see it for free, and consider how much it's one of the animated films that deserves to be bought the most...

Quote:
I have the DVD of the first Balto movie but my disc tray is destroyed so I can't copy it to my hard drive.

Sounds like a bad excuse to me...Nowadays a new dvd drive for computers cost something like 30-40$, everyone can afford this.
There's no other choice : the only way to do it legally is by ripping the dvd (and, in fact, even this is at the edge of legality...but well)
So, either comply with this, or don't do music videos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:07 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

the true issue here lies in the Youtbe-Viacom case. Viacom was the first company to challenge youtube for not protecting and upholding copyright laws since that time other companies have followed suit and required youtube to remove copyrighted material. This is why many music videos and movies have been removed over the past year or so. I am sorry that I can not supply any resources to you other than a torrent and also even if you where to fix you disc drive ripping dvd's is not possible upon purchase and would require additional software perhaps even of illegal standards I can suggest however that perhaps a video capture device such as a “dazzle” would allow you to transfer your dvd to your pc simply and without the need of a new dvd-rom drive

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:50 pm 
Living here
Living here

If I was telling the truth I have to say I was slightly gutted that the movies were takin down, if anything to me they would get more people to buy the movies. Lets face it Youtube quality is poor for movies and anyone who usually watches movies up their would be watching said movie for the first time most likely, as I cant imagine watching a movie on Youtube when you already have it. For example I saw a movie on youtube called "Cats dont dance" and really liked it, I wouldnt have bought it in the store to be honest but after seeing it I'll probably buy it on DVD if I can. I always thought youtube was a good way for people to be introduced to movies without seeing them as to be fair it is cheaper then rental ;)

If you end up really liking the movie then I cant imagine why you wouldnt buy it to watch on a (presumably) larger screen on your TV and for the huge increase in film quality. With the Balto movies off youtube I can only imagine the way their gunna get watched now is by word of mouth from close friends or (in my case) just seeing a picture of it to make you wanna buy it without seeing it first. I fully think that Balto is such a good movie that people who see it for the first time on Youtube will want to buy it for themselves on DVD.

http://squival.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:54 pm 

Quote:
It's not only full movies...it's also music videos or clips people have put up there. Universal has been methodically going through YouTube's vast files, searching for any content with "Balto" search parameters, and is having them slowly, if certainly systematically, remove any music videos and clips as well. Piece by piece. Again, as infuriating as that is for us, it is well within their rights to do so...as it is well within YouTube's rights to remove content.

Yes of course, one of the reasons that I don't host the videos too (with the fact that it requires huge capacities and servers, which I haven't)
In fact, if they really wanted to, Universal and Disney could ask me to close the sites just because I have screenshots from the films. But they never go that far, hopefully. They know that these sites make good advertisement for their films for "free".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:46 pm 

Okay, so your saying even music vids are forbidden there?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:25 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

As far as music video, it is very rare to see them taken down, and that is for basically anything, not just Balto. I guess the best thing to do is to say somewhere in the video or in the descriptopn section of the video that the movie is copyrighted by Universal.

And for trying to watch the movie itself, the movie is worth buying, not stealing. This movie is too good for someone to find ways to have the movie for free.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:35 pm 

Oh, I see. Though that did happen to me once...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:28 pm 
Advanced
Advanced

OK here's a question, If I put a Balto Music Video on YouTube whats the worst that could happen, could I get sued for copyright infringement. ? I don't want to do anything thats illegal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:26 am 

USMC Wolf wrote:
OK here's a question, If I put a Balto Music Video on YouTube whats the worst that could happen, could I get sued for copyright infringement. ? I don't want to do anything thats illegal.

Well, I don't think they would do that. They would probly just ban you from youtube.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next